Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2009, 08:04   #11
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhowell View Post
Hi Keith,
There is a problem over copyright and the like. I suspect the chap who originally produced the software I bought would be upset if I distributed it freely to the world.After all I only bought 1 copy. However, I give the codes freely, albeit that the risk is totally the recipient's. For the guaranteed codes, these can be got from X-Part for about £40. They tell me they issue 4 sets of codes per day without difficulty. I have my reservations about their software - although not at all their service which was brilliant. I am now back in contact with them and it may be that I can give them some more information which will produce the correct codes and both my concerns and their frustration at not getting them right will be shown disappear.
Many thanks again for all the help you have given to all of us. If everyone follows your example - and I am hot on your trail - they will enable us all to keep the cars on the road for many years!
This is the sort of thing that the club should show an interest in. Part of our fee should go to getting this sorted out so that the members can access the information from the club (like Vis testers). I am willing to contribute, pay, so that this vital information about our cars can be saved, generally, within the club, so that members can source it Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 18:35   #12
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
This is the sort of thing that the club should show an interest in. Part of our fee should go to getting this sorted out so that the members can access the information from the club (like Vis testers). I am willing to contribute, pay, so that this vital information about our cars can be saved, generally, within the club, so that members can source it Alan
Just so your comment doesn't go unnoticed, the Club has contacted Mark regarding the information he holds but our resources are only finite.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 20:52   #13
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Ok understood Mark
I just assumed probey was selling at £250 his own copy of Omitecs code calculator but if this is a separate piece of coding then that's fair enough
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 09:26   #14
markhowell
Regular poster

Rover 75 CTDI Tourer Auto

Morning Keith,
I do not know what else Probey had by way of software so I cannot help you here . I might add that he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful to me - a great chap to have around.
So far as the club is concerned, I have three 75 CDTI Auto Tourers and look after my parents 75 CTDI Auto tourer - hence my great interest in the cars and acquisition of the T4 etc. Unless disaster befalls me I contemplate maintaining then fully with no garage involvement for the next 15 yrs at least as I have maintained my Saab cars for the past 20 years. As I give the codes freely I do not think the club need worry. My plan is to come to some of the club meets in due course and, assuming it disrupts no-one's plans, bring some of my kit - this may help some members.
markhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 15:15   #15
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

Default checksum zcs

Just out of interest, is the checksum a single hex digit or a double?
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 17:28   #16
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Quote:
So far as the club is concerned, I have three 75 CDTI Auto Tourers and look after my parents 75 CTDI Auto tourer
slightly off topic, but its most interesting that you have three! what sets them each apart and which do you favour?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 18:39   #17
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans.schaaper View Post
Just out of interest, is the checksum a single hex digit or a double?
Neither, that's the puzzle for me at least. It's a single aplhanumeric character, and not 0-F but apparently 0-Z

I've seen check characters of 3 V and A. A was the check character for the codeword 71360121 for example. Unfortunately I have only limited examples to work with. I'm also making the assumption that the values I've seen are actually valid, but see no reason they wouldn't be.

I wondered if it was a simple as the actaul Hex checksum value just transcribed to it's ASCII equivalent, but you'd end up with lots of non printables that you couldn't enter with a keyboard.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 19:26   #18
markhowell
Regular poster

Hans,
All the checksums I have produced are a single alphanumeric All my reading around the topic indicates it is always a single alphanumeric
Old 6th October 2009, 19:34   #19
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Hans,
All the checksums I have produced are a single alphanumeric All my reading around the topic indicates it is always a single alphanumeric
Does it tie in with what I've seen, that is 0-9 and A-Z? or any more or less?
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 20:25   #20
markhowell
Regular poster

Yes. There does not seem to be any pattern (ie: the 3 are not all alpha or numeric).
Although you did not ask, I think that each zcs code has its own checksum, although not unique checksum as there would not be enough for all the zcs codes. When each zcs code is entered the checksum is the last entry for each code. I suspect the T4 uses the checksum to see that the matching zcs code has in fact been entered. The T4 data disk must therefore know of the checksums or how they are composed.