Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2024, 09:40   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Well you have got just as much chance that they will probably last as long as more expensive items. The key issues are if they are made from genuine rubber for the blades , and have ,so it seems , a layer of graphite sprayed on the rubbers. Still definitely worth a punt at that price . Lucas were years ago in many fields a top product , but alas times change, and once high quality items have given way in quality to cheaper chinese imports , to stay alive ..
I believe Lucas is China as is Trico but they still have premises in South Wales. Dunno if that is at their old factory site or at a new industrial site.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2024, 14:29   #22
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Been reading about trico. Oldest wiper blade manufacturer in the world .First company to invent and mass produce the wiper blade.(1917) Originally from buffalo U.S.A . Branches world wide for over 100 yrs. They have a factory in brentford UK and were the first company to pay men and women equal pay,after a strike in 1976. So no chinese tat here. Look top quality and probably were the original suppliers for the launch 75 vehicles . I have not seen any early photos of the first factory fitted new R75 vehicles fitted with the bosche wind spoilers fitted from new, but anything is possible.!! I wondered why their clip securing system fits like a glove , and i would like to bet that they will last well. We will see ....

Last edited by xsport; 3rd February 2024 at 14:31..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 17:55   #23
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

A while ago was on a trip and needed new blades as the weather wasnt being kind. Bought some from a big box in Aldi/lidle (cant remember which) and although they were of a well known trade name were sH one Teeeeeee! Oriental rubbish!!!
I think its hit and miss what one gets no matter what the name on the box. Some seem so hard they grate as they sweep the screen and other fall apart in weeks.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 18:51   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Bought some from a big box in Aldi/Lidl ... and although they were of a well known trade name were ... rubbish!
Maybe they were counterfeit Norman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Some seem so hard they grate as they sweep the screen and other fall apart in weeks.
Stefan offered a possible explanation for this earlier:
Quote:
I think a lot of the problem stems from uncleaned windscreens ... Not to mention using wipers to gradually rub away unscraped ice on the screen whilst driving off on a bitterly cold morning ...
I'd recommend regularly keeping your windscreen clear of dust and road residue before a journey using a synthetic chamois cloth and plain water. At the same time wipe the blades clean too. An application of Rain-X will reduce the friction to virtually zero ensuring a super-smooth sweep !

Simon
Old 6th February 2024, 11:22   #25
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
So no chinese tat here. Look top quality and probably were the original suppliers for the launch 75 vehicles . I have not seen any early photos of the first factory fitted new R75 vehicles fitted with the bosche wind spoilers fitted from new, but anything is possible.!! I wondered why their clip securing system fits like a glove , and i would like to bet that they will last well. We will see ....
Well, I wonder why my packaging says "Made in China" in the smallest print you will ever come across (that should be made illegal). However, due to the vagaries in law it could mean the wiper blades are UK made but my urine says otherwise. I'll have to check again if Trico are ever in my possession again.
Kev
Old 6th February 2024, 13:51   #26
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

It may well be that the packaging is used for other similar products for convenience reasons. When some of these companies set up abroad , they use their own tooling and production methods and materials. For example honda up north east uk. It provides them with a new market and distribution platform. Still , whoever makes what , if the end product is good, thats fine by me. The days of buying british made have in almost every industry , very sadly dissapeared...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 14:57   #27
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
It may well be that the packaging is used for other similar products for convenience reasons. When some of these companies set up abroad , they use their own tooling and production methods and materials. For example honda up north east uk. It provides them with a new market and distribution platform. Still , whoever makes what , if the end product is good, thats fine by me. The days of buying british made have in almost every industry , very sadly dissapeared...
Hmmm, dangerous to rely on one entity/sector for the provision of the State Pension (Service sector in this instance). Not making one's own products defines skill shortages and knowledge black holes. Men, overall, prefer manufacturing to more sedentary jobs especially if at lower education levels.
Plenty of rubbish coming in from overseas after the home produced product made to BS level is overwhelmed by cheaper non-adhering to standard is available.
Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 6th February 2024 at 14:59.. Reason: Edit due to naughty word of C and R and A and P.
Old 28th April 2024, 23:19   #28
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs up Wiper recommendations

Hi, I have replaced the rubbers only on my 75 over the 10 yrs of ownership keeping the original arms and have had no problems whatever over that time. Managed to source from JAYA motor factors for the last 5 yrs or so and at £3.50. just this month and they are quiet and do the job A1.
Sonestarick is offline   Reply With Quote