Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th March 2017, 08:48   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Tailgaters - change to compensation discount rate

Interesting report on the above - just read that with the change in the compensation discount rate pushing up insurance premiums, it is likely that insurance companies will increase the premiums for high risk drivers.

Insurance underwriters are selecting those with a history of tailgating accidents (and phone use whilst driving) for "particular attention"

Good!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 09:21   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Good idea.
I wonder how many people will not declare accidents or deny responsibility blaming someone or something else so they can try and worm out of taking the hit on their premium.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 09:24   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

A good idea penalising the drivers that cause or are more likely to cause accidents.
It's a shame then that they punish every law abiding driver with a price hike.
My opinion is this:
Insurance is a 'risk' game in that they take a chance that any driver they insure is going to be a good driver & not have/cause an accident.
For all the people that claim & they have to pay out on, I'm sure the ones that don't claim far outweigh this.
I'm a prime example, 37yrs of driving & I've never made a claim so I have never had anything back out of them.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:14   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
A good idea penalising the drivers that cause or are more likely to cause accidents.
It's a shame then that they punish every law abiding driver with a price hike.
My opinion is this:
Insurance is a 'risk' game in that they take a chance that any driver they insure is going to be a good driver & not have/cause an accident.
For all the people that claim & they have to pay out on, I'm sure the ones that don't claim far outweigh this.
I'm a prime example, 37yrs of driving & I've never made a claim so I have never had anything back out of them.
Agreed - but it seems that the underwriters are hinting that whilst the NCB system works for those who do not have accidents - the recent trend of insurance companies keeping their costs down by trying to force 50/50 or "knock for knock" settlements is no longer going to be as attractive to them.

If this means that from now on the idiots that drive a couple of feet from the car in front and those that insist on using their phones whilst driving end up paying what they deserve to pay - rather than the cost of their stupidity being spread over all of us - then I am all for that.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:28   #5
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I have been driving since 1961. The only claim I ever made was in 2014 when some twonk decide to ruin half of my passenger side, without stopping the insurance paid out £1500 pounds, and then gave me a letter stating it was a fault claim wasn't even in the car when it happened, how can that be right,

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:33   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

I have been driving since 1961. The only claim I ever made was in 2014 when some twonk decide to ruin half of my passenger side, without stopping the insurance paid out £1500 pounds, and then gave me a letter stating it was a fault claim wasn't even in the car when it happened, how can that be right,

Rev
if your insurance company cannot claim their money back from the other driver or their insurance then it goes against you. If both drivers have the same company, then again if the other driver is held liable it will go as non fault.

why does non fault cause a hike in insurance premium?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:25   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Rev
A good example of an insurance company abusing its own policyholders. This should not have happened - tho in the past it was commonplace.

If it happens now you should dispute it stating that they are "not treating you as a customer fairly" as required by the Regulater, the FCA.

Do this in writing and threaten a Subject Access Request to release the file to you and I virtually guarantee that they will change the claims status to Non-fault".

The only reason why they try this on is because the want to recoup the payout from someone via increased premiums and if you let them they will get it back from you - the totally innocent party!
Old 20th March 2017, 11:45   #8
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I had a house roof land on my brand new car in 2013, the insurance said it was a no fault claim but informed me my premium will rise even so. They then said it was my fault???
I argued my point how could a parked car having a house roof land on it in a well publicised storm be my fault. They said it was because they couldn't claim from anyone for the damage. They did however see reason and reverted back to no fault. Premium went up 30.00.

When I renewed my Dolomite insurance being a good boy I told them as required about it. The broker said that it was strange that I had been told it was no fault and has to be recorded as a fault claim. They checked with the underwriters who agreed that it should be an at fault claim and said that my classic policy should increase. However they said it would be grossly unfair under the circumstances and left it as it was.

I have since changed both insurances and the new insurers accepted it as no fault so some do do the right thing.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 20:43   #9
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Only claim I ever made was when a car was stolen. It was parked on my yard, locked, with a crook lock on, and was an ancient Fiesta Popular I inherited from my Nan when she died. The insurance was £150 a year, and they claimed it was worth £100, with a £50 excess. I got £50 for the car, and when the insurance premium came in, not only had it trebled in price, I had to disclose this as a claim on all other policies pushing my premiums up even though I had 18 years ncb.

My question was, and is, if you have protected ncb, that you pay for in the options upon renewal, why then does your premium rise if you make a claim? Surely you are protected from that by the extra money you pay in order to protect the ncb? So someone stealing my worthless car ended up costing me about 5 times the value of the payout in increased premiums and I had to state the claim for 5 years, even though the car was stolen, so not my fault, but because I claimed, it apparently was my fault and legally needed to be declared.

For £50!

I hate insurance companies.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote