Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st March 2017, 22:09   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
My late dad always wore a shirt and tie in his last job as a mobile greengrocer, even after he retired , he continued to do so every day right up until a couple of days before he passed away.
Could never understand why,he just used to say," I've always done it"
My own used to wear the shirt, tie, belt and braces. As a lad, I asked him why, especially the belt plus braces and his answer was he would catch cold without them.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:41   #12
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I luv the 1920's attire for us men, it goes without saying the famous two tone 1950's saddle shoes kicked-off in the 1920's. I remember my grandad always looking dapper, his stylish gangster shoes, crisp shirts and Goodwood style waistcoats always attracted me which got me adopting the same style.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:30   #13
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In 1960 I came dahn sarf and got a job as a butcher trainee for J. Sainsbury.

Because part of the duties entailed being behind the counter at Manford Way, Hainault to serve the Home Counties posh people (well, they were to me anyway) a collar and tie and polished shoes were essential.

Unfortunately, and mainly due to my short stature, I was also expected to unload and carry in 300lb (twice my own weight) floppy Scottish hindquarters from, wait for it, Inverquhomery.

This genteel operation resulted in the slashed throat look which years later became an unintended fashionista must-have with Mods and Rockers. So the rest of the day, looking like a victim not being the J.S. preferred look, the alternative was a separate collar with a striped Oxford collarless shirt and studs. Two or three collars a day was the norm to avoid the pitying stares from the Old Dears buying rabbit for their cats.

The van from Collars of Wembley collected the used ones and delivered the laundered ones (as stiff as Formica coffins) in little square boxes that were just big enough for a dozen.

Still, there was a good side to them. A very pretty girl who subsequently became my darling wife later told me those collars were the first thing she noticed when she first saw me behind the counter and were all she needed to know about my personal grooming. Aaaahhh.

Part two about the Great Collar Dodge concerning a bloke called Bob, very sharp scissors and St. Michael, next week.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:50   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My own used to wear the shirt, tie, belt and braces. As a lad, I asked him why, especially the belt plus braces and his answer was he would catch cold without them.
Same with mine,
Old 24th March 2017, 08:59   #15
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

My dad was an accountant and he retired a few years ago. Still wears a shirt and tie every day, and arm bands to keep his sleeves up. I asked him why, when he is retired, and he says he feels undressed without them. Wear the same thing 5 days a week for...er...(some maths) years, and I suppose you get used to it!
I hate ties, they make me feel like I'm being choked! I do like a really nice well cut suit, but I have no occasion to wear one, or own one other than funerals and weddings. Literally! I was thinking the other day that if I got an office job, I would have to buy an entire new wardrobe of clothes!
Course, trousers with knee pad pockets built in (and the knee pads, obviously!) are a God send when building and kneeling on nails and rocks and things. And florry jackets are great for not being run over. But mainly, I can get covered in plaster and mud and dust and cement and oil and grease and just hose the clothes off, and bung them in the washing machine. Can't do that with a suit. Well, you could, but it'd be dead afterwards!

It's a modern, utilitarian look for manual workers these days, as oppose to office worker turned builder look of the past. I kind of like the dedicated purposefulness of the ppe, which makes me appreciate suits a whole lot more.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:52   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I always turned up for interviews wearing a suit, I became aware that things were changing in the early 1990's, when a manager did a double take when I walked in. I was much more formally dressed than he - I made the excuse that I had somewhere else to go immediately after. I got the job, but I never wore a suit to an interview after that.

There have been times in my life when I haven't had a suit, I appeared for my first interview wearing school uniform, but got a suit soon after starting work. I now always have a suit, just for those rare occasions. Mostly it resides in the wardrobe, under plastic, ready for emergencies. I always feel and felt embarrassed wearing a suit and tie, over dressed.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote