Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2010, 21:19   #1
gaz7560
Loves to post

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCi

Default AA needed got the dread fan problem

Help please Car suddenly overheated today and I called the AA out. Luckily no damage to Engine, but the fan is making a funny clicking noise when working but not working very often especially on tick over . Seems that my fan has expired, cannot manage without my car as I work funny hours and live in the back of beyond. What is the quickest way to do a repair and is this something I could do?

Rover 75 2.5 v6, auto, Jan 2001 with only 58000 miles on clock
gaz7560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 21:27   #2
baconbuttyman
Banned

i could be wrong but sound like you need a new fan, the motors are prone for going if i am right, contact Jules, he is the expert on this subject i think, http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=41898

other threads by jules may lead you to a solution, more techy minded people will be along soon
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 21:31   #3
gaz7560
Loves to post

Thanks just read life expectancy for older type 60000 miles, will need complete new fan from jules plus a little how to! thanks for quick reply.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:41   #4
baconbuttyman
Banned

glad to help
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 22:50   #5
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Well.. I can wholly recomended Jules. He supplies a Kenlow unit, Ready modified to suit, complete with new relay, heavy duty zip ties and fitting instructions.

Just completed my installation tonight and it took me around 3 hours all in!

There is a 14 page How To available on here to assist.

All that's involved is the removal of around 11/2 dozen small bolts and fixings and a little light soldering and you are done!

Around £140 delivered!

incidentaly my car is 10 years old with 48500 miles and the original fan was shot!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 23:07   #6
gaz7560
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Well.. I can wholly recomended Jules. He supplies a Kenlow unit, Ready modified to suit, complete with new relay, heavy duty zip ties and fitting instructions.

Just completed my installation tonight and it took me around 3 hours all in!

There is a 14 page How To available on here to assist.

All that's involved is the removal of around 11/2 dozen small bolts and fixings and a little light soldering and you are done!

Around £140 delivered!

incidentaly my car is 10 years old with 48500 miles and the original fan was shot!!
Thanks didnt know whether to go for kenlowe or the other one, any idea what the difference is? ps you interior pic looks like mine!
Old 21st June 2010, 23:13   #7
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Kenlow is a full fan replacement, oem is just a motor replacement which means the same failures will happen again later on. Most folk will agree Kenlow makes the most sence.
Certainly good to hear a cooling fan going when the a/c is on!

if you go for the kenlow I will happily help fit it for you if needed!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 23:47   #8
gaz7560
Loves to post

Thanks very much, will order the kenlowe one seems to be a bit more reliable.
Also thanks for the kind offer of help. I should be ok fitting looks quite straight foward enough. Now to spend some money
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:10   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Kenlow is a full fan replacement, oem is just a motor replacement which means the same failures will happen again later on.
Not really, the replacement OEM fan system is the 2-speed version, which has a very robust motor. They come as acomplete system including fan and control box. There is no evidence as yet that these suffer from rapid brush wear like the 3-speed /earlier system. However, the later motors do have the weak resistor, which should be replaced/upgraded by default. The result will be an OEM fan system which is as reliable as any other. I note this because some owners prefer to stick with OEM rather than going for something like the Kenlowe (which is certainly cheaper).

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd June 2010 at 11:13..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 00:58   #10
gaz7560
Loves to post

What a day, first time I have ever tackled a job like this, seemed to be dogged with problems, including top of cowling breaking off!! still have slam panel and bumper to put on but at least kenlowe is fitted and working A ok. Will finish tomorrow hopefully. Might have to by another cowel at sometime.