Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th November 2012, 18:11   #1
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Default Ripping out Highline

It's official, I am fed up with my highline system

I dont use the NAV, or the TMC, the TV is no good any longer and the CD changer is pants.

I want to rip it all out and replace it with an Alpine DD Headunit (non Nav), 5 way amp and sub

I plan to take out the headunit, tuner, the CD Changer, the TV module the NAV unit and keep the speakers as these are already uprated ones.

Basically replace it all but I have a few questions before I start dismantling!

How many clips do I need for the door cards? I plan to remove and put sound dedening behind and will replace all the clips

Can I get the steering controls to still work?

Do I need to disable the TMC as it shows the messages on the IPK, or will it just not show anything if the system isnt there?

Do I need a 5 way amp? One channel for each of the speakers and one for the sub?

Can I just get a cable that will 'translate' from the highline to another DD (Probably Alpine)?

Do I need crossovers for the tweeters and speakers? or can I do without?

I dont know a lot about it, which may be apparant from the above so be gentle!

Willing to give it go though

Cheers
Richard
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 18:24   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Well I can help with the TMC IPK question. They are not connected at all. The traffic messages you get in the instrument pack come from a stand alone trafficmaster driver alert unit behind the IPK. So you can rip out the Sat Nav without affecting this. Be aware though that the trafficmaster signals are slowly being phased out across the country so that system's days are numbered.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 19:33   #3
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
I want to rip it all out and replace it with an Alpine DD Headunit (non Nav), 5 way amp and sub

I plan to take out the headunit, tuner, the CD Changer, the TV module the NAV unit and keep the speakers as these are already uprated ones.

Basically replace it all but I have a few questions before I start dismantlin

Can I get the steering controls to still work?

Do I need a 5 way amp? One channel for each of the speakers and one for the sub?

Can I just get a cable that will 'translate' from the highline to another DD (Probably Alpine)?

Do I need crossovers for the tweeters and speakers? or can I do without?

I dont know a lot about it, which may be apparant from the above so be gentle!

Willing to give it go though

Cheers
Richard

I'll try and answer a few of your questions.

The first thing to check after removing the head unit is to locate the ISO connector [should be somewhere behind the ATC unit as yours a 2004 75]
This will enable you to plug the ISO lead into the back of your new headunit.

You will not need a crosover unit.

You will not be able to connect a new headunit to your Hi Line system.

You will need a dedicated interface lead to get your steering wheel controls to work. [Whichever brand of headunit you buy]

I would get your new headunit working first before moving onto the speaker upgrade.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 19:49   #4
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Cheers for the replies so far...

So if I get a new headunit and plug it in and get a steering wheel control column the headunit should work and then I can worry about the amp etc later...

How does this interface with the tuner in the boot?

Presumably this cant be removed at this stage as this handles the wires to the speakers, would this still be needed?

Presumably also, I could at this stage remove the NAV, TV Module and CD Changer?
Old 5th November 2012, 20:14   #5
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Cheers for the replies so far...

So if I get a new headunit and plug it in and get a steering wheel control column the headunit should work and then I can worry about the amp etc later...

Presumably this cant be removed at this stage as this handles the wires to the speakers, would this still be needed?

Presumably also, I could at this stage remove the NAV, TV Module and CD Changer?

The ISO plug you have to locate [behind the ATC unit] take the speaker and power wires from the Rover 75 loom to the Hi Line system in the boot.

Once you disconnect this ISO plug the Hi Line system will be dead.
The lead with male ISO connectors will then plug directly into your new headunit.

This is the sort of thing you are looking for. This picture shows a BMW plug but your will be an ISO plug.

One more thing. You will have to extend the aerial lead from the radio unit in the boot back to your new headunit.

Dave T
Old 5th November 2012, 20:20   #6
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post

One more thing. You will have to extend the aerial lead from the radio unit in the boot back to your new headunit.Dave T
Thanks keep it coming!

The bit with aerial has confused me though, is this to connect the aerial which is in the rear screen to the new head unit in order to pick up radio,

Can this be taken directly and then all the boxes in the boot removed?
Old 5th November 2012, 20:21   #7
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Dunno about the electrical stuff, but you'll need a "fir tree" clip for each door and half a dozen of the other type (there's usually one or two on each door that need replacing).

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 20:27   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

It doesn't need any of the units in the boot. The radio/amp in the boot feeds its audio to the ISO plug and socket, which you will be disconnecting and plugging your new radio into instead. So all of the Hi-line bits in boot can be disconnected and taken out.

You will though need to extend the radio antenna plug, from where the boot mounted unit was located, to the new radio. Hopefully the antenna will be the simple type with one coax, rather than the earlier type which used discriminating double antenna system, which required two distinct coaxes. The latter type can cause reception issues.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 20:34   #9
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Thanks keep it coming!

The bit with aerial has confused me though, is this to connect the aerial which is in the rear screen to the new head unit in order to pick up radio,

Can this be taken directly and then all the boxes in the boot removed?
The radio aerial lead comes from the nearside C pilar and in the Hi Line system goes to the boot area and plugs into the radio module.

You could unravel the aerial lead from the D pilar to the boot bit it possibly still won't be long enough to reach the headunit. Better to extend the aerial wire that goes into the boot radio module and take to extended lead to the new headunit.

This is the aerial amp in the D pilar.

Dave T
Old 5th November 2012, 20:49   #10
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Great, thanks for all the replies,

Will get a head unit and go from there and then update!

Happy to hear any recommendations for head units!