Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2023, 10:02   #1
Gilbertd

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Memory seat doing nothing, another seat fault...

I've searched the forum and found multiple posts regarding the electric memory seats but most seem to be the memories not working or problems when people have fitted them to a car that didn't have them originally. This one is a bit different, it is completely dead.

I am currently re-commissioning a September 2005 (one of the last), Rover 75 CDTi, Connoisseur SE Tourer which had the memory seats as standard. The car has been standing for 6 years following ill health and subsequent passing away of the owner. While the passenger non-memory seat works perfectly, the drivers seat does nothing. No movement from any of the switches. Bear in mind that it has sat for 6 years with a flat battery on it. Initially the mirror adjustment switch didn't do anything either but after poking it a few times I obviously cleaned up the contacts and it started working. I've tried this with the seat switches but no success (and I can't see every switch being dirty, I would expect at least one to do something).

As a late car, this has the fusebox with mini fuses and I have checked fuses 9, 51 and 53 and all are OK. Also, as the car was mainly driven by one person, the seat may have failed years ago and nobody had tried to move it prior to it having been parked up and left. It is as if there is no power to the switches but without knowing where and what I am looking for, it would be a case of poke and hope so I'm hoping someone can tell me where I should be checking. A circuit diagram for it would be pretty useful too.

Thanks in advance.
Gilbertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 12:17   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
I've searched the forum and found multiple posts regarding the electric memory seats but most seem to be the memories not working or problems when people have fitted them to a car that didn't have them originally. This one is a bit different, it is completely dead.

I am currently re-commissioning a September 2005 (one of the last), Rover 75 CDTi, Connoisseur SE Tourer which had the memory seats as standard. The car has been standing for 6 years following ill health and subsequent passing away of the owner. While the passenger non-memory seat works perfectly, the drivers seat does nothing. No movement from any of the switches. Bear in mind that it has sat for 6 years with a flat battery on it. Initially the mirror adjustment switch didn't do anything either but after poking it a few times I obviously cleaned up the contacts and it started working. I've tried this with the seat switches but no success (and I can't see every switch being dirty, I would expect at least one to do something).

As a late car, this has the fusebox with mini fuses and I have checked fuses 9, 51 and 53 and all are OK. Also, as the car was mainly driven by one person, the seat may have failed years ago and nobody had tried to move it prior to it having been parked up and left. It is as if there is no power to the switches but without knowing where and what I am looking for, it would be a case of poke and hope so I'm hoping someone can tell me where I should be checking. A circuit diagram for it would be pretty useful too.

Thanks in advance.
The seat switches are known to fail and you get no movement from the motors.

If you think all fuses are ok it may be worth unplugging the harness under the seat and checking you get power to the appropriate parts of the plug. If that proves ok, then put 12v to each motor to see if they work.

If the motors work and you have power at the plug, a duff switch is the probable issue.

Have you a Haynes manual, that may have a wring diagram or get a copy of Rave, a CD disc, that contains more then a Haynes manual. Rimmer Brothers in Lincoln may have them, not sure how much, £10 may be.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 13:43   #3
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

RAVE disc is £11.40 from Rimmers, but postage will probably be >£5

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ZAA000400
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 15:36   #4
Gilbertd

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
get a copy of Rave, a CD disc
I'm very familiar with RAVE, running a Range Rover myself and having a full set of the 3 CDs covering all Land Rover models, I just wasn't aware that there was a version for the 75.. A quick Google for Rover 75 RAVE took me to https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=280437&page=2 so now have what I need. If it isn't pouring with rain tomorrow, I'll be back at it with my multimeter. If the switch pack fails, what is the usual problem? Is it the same as the one on a Range Rover Classic where opening it up results in a shower of small springs and ball bearings that take hours to put back in?
Old 19th September 2023, 12:38   #5
Gilbertd

Rover 75 Tourer

So I have power at the fuses and under the seat. Couldn't get the large white plug out of the ECU to give it a soaking with contact cleaner but I'm starting to suspect the switchpack. Although I can hear the contacts clicking whenever I move any of the switches, they still aren't doing anything so I want to get it out. RAVE says to remove the seat and valance first but I'm hoping to do it without by standing on my head in the footwell. RAVE, in true RAVE fashion, makes it sound so easy. To remove the valance, release 4 clips, 2 screws and 1 nut with possibly the most unclear picture ever showing nothing useful at all. All I can find it 1 screw at the back of the seat valance. Where is the other screw, the nut and the 4 clips?
Old 19th September 2023, 16:08   #6
Gilbertd

Rover 75 Tourer

Found the nut and remaining screw so got the valance out which allowed me to unplug the switchpack. From the diagram operation of any switch puts a ground onto one of the outputs to the ECU. Tried connecting ground to every output in turn and nothing. Then checked the switchpack, operation of each switch puts a ground out on its respective wire. So not the switchpack.

Took the ECU out, all connections from both plugs clean with no signs of any corrosion. Opened up the ECU and inside was spotless with no corrosion or signs of burning. Gave both sockets a squirt of contact cleaner and put it back in. Still nothing. Then remembered from years back that the memory seat can stop working if the ECU gets confused and the cure for that is to remove fuse 9 for 30 seconds to reset it. So tried that and still nothing.

After putting the ECU back, realised I should really have put power onto the plug directly to the motors but I can't see all of them being faulty and even if things had seized, I would at least expected to hear something from the motors trying to turn. Does this seem to now point towards a dead ECU?