Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2011, 19:15   #1
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default caravan reversing

Probably misplaced, but relates to caravan links. I'm hoping this mighthelp me to reverse. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/games/reverse.asp
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:18   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Must be me with games - it's a darn sight easier with a real car and caravan lol
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 05:19   #3
stonflo
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default caravan reversing

Always had difficulty backing our caravan into a gap 9ft wide. Could never see my wife directing me back. Had a mover fitted cheaper than a new wife.
stonflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 09:35   #4
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Reversing with an ordinary car and trailer is usually a bit more of a pain than say an artic or a bus. Iīve driven them all in the past On the swedish roads you are allowed to drive a 10 tonner, full bodied lorry with a trailer on the back which is the same length as the lorrys body (max 24m). Max weight i th EU is 44 ton. In Sweden and Finland 60 ton. but for all that, when driving a heavy lorry you get to sit high up, at least 2 mirrors on each side of the cab and many other aides. In a car you sit low (not so good for perspective/distance judgement), usually just one ill placed mirror.

Good coms are important when having a helper. If they canīt hear you and visa versa... itīs hopeless. Get them to always stand at the back of the trailer on the drivers side so that they can see you in the rearview mirror and you can see them. Then talk to each other so you both know it works. Then get them placed at the back looking at you via the passenger side mirror. Talk again till it works. When that is fixed, get your signals sorted so that both know what the signals are and when they will be used. Aknowledgements need to be trained so that both know what has been said and itīs been understood, both ways.

This sounds a lot but if you take time to get it sorted then you will have years of unflustered (dare I say pleasant) correspondance with -her outdoors- or equivilent Learn to use the door mirrors. Turn the wheel in the opposite direction to what your brain says.... and it will work
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 10:02   #5
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Wow, echoing Jimbo there it's alot easier in real life! - The art is to use the most available room before manouvering in, that way you have plenty of space to correct whilst reversing. Oh and when you hear the bang, stop you're in

But give me my 45ft trailer anyday
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Gone but not forgotton - MG ZT 260 SE #171
Member #126
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 10:11   #6
gefary
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

After trying that little test I now remember why I bought a motor mover.
gefary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 11:01   #7
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

I can reverse a 747 into a hanger but I get the feeling I'd struggle with a caravan!
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 18:15   #8
CoOkIeMoNsTeR
Gets stuck in

No job = No Car :(

It's not difficult when you get the hang of it. A twin axle van is easier to reverse with as things happen much more slowly as you have 4 wheels. I went on a towing course. Very enlightening

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

The CookieMonster fleet:-
No car anymore unless you can give me a job
I used to own a VW, but I don't like to talk about it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 10:19   #9
8511swann
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 V6 Petrol Classic SE (Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Good coms are important when having a helper. If they canīt hear you and visa versa... itīs hopeless. Get them to always stand at the back of the trailer on the drivers side so that they can see you in the rearview mirror and you can see them. Then talk to each other so you both know it works. Then get them placed at the back looking at you via the passenger side mirror. Talk again till it works. When that is fixed, get your signals sorted so that both know what the signals are and when they will be used. Aknowledgements need to be trained so that both know what has been said and itīs been understood, both ways.
Strangely enough, when I did my HGV stuff through the Army, and the subsequent vehicle familiarisation courses, the "assistant" was always stood at the front. The driver literally watches them and nobody else. If you get a good partner, hand signals alone are brilliant. In the dark we used to just use a red filtered torch. Takes a while to get used to, but when you're used to it, it's a great method!.

P.S The assistant walks around the vehicle first to check out what's behind!!
Old 14th February 2011, 11:31   #10
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Thatīs great if youīre not sure of the width of your vehicle or arnīt very good with the door mirrors. Got to have good confidence in your assitent and they have to be good at judging distances. Lots of small bumps on Land Rovers and 3 tonners when I was -in-

The 2 batton (with lights) that we used to use for marshalling helicopters is good in the dark
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote