Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2017, 19:47   #31
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Wes

Totally agree with you, took me two months to find a genuine V6 Water Pump, which is now fitted to my tourer

Stu
Took me two minutes Stu LINK
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 19:52   #32
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Simon, the advice you are touting regarding belt replacement is quite frankly a dangerous game to play.
No it isn't. Why is it so hard for you to understand how MGR reached the six year rule?
Quote:
.. please don't bother trying to convince other owners that what you are saying is acceptable.
You do not have the right to try to control what other members say on this forum Brian. Does it ever occur to you that you may be wrong?
Quote:
Bury your head in the sand ..
I have asked you twice, very politely, to withdraw your insulting remarks. Not only have you ignored this request but you are now repeating your offence. Is there no limit to your arrogance? I have reported your behaviour to the moderators.
Quote:
.. my position as regards what I have said is unlikely to change.
That's your decision, but please don't try to influence other people with a more open mind. Let them read both viewpoints and decide for themselves.

Quote:

Behold a front timing belt as once fitted to a 190 MGZT.
Here we go again.
Quote:
This engine this belt was originally fitted to had no problems with the tensioner or water pump whatsoever, and the belt itself had snapped on engine startup.
So why was that Brian? What was the mileage? Who fitted the belt and did they do it properly? Is that contamination I see at the severed end?

Once again we get a dramatic photograph from you, a headline of which The Sun would be proud, but very little supporting information.

Simon
Old 27th April 2017, 21:04   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
No it isn't. Why is it so hard for you to understand how MGR reached the six year rule?

You do not have the right to try to control what other members say on this forum Brian. Does it ever occur to you that you may be wrong?

I have asked you twice, very politely, to withdraw your insulting remarks. Not only have you ignored this request but you are now repeating your offence. Is there no limit to your arrogance? I have reported your behaviour to the moderators.

That's your decision, but please don't try to influence other people with a more open mind. Let them read both viewpoints and decide for themselves.

Here we go again.

So why was that Brian? What was the mileage? Who fitted the belt and did they do it properly? Is that contamination I see at the severed end?

Once again we get a dramatic photograph from you, a headline of which The Sun would be proud, but very little supporting information.

Simon
The belt was contaminated from the oil leaking out from the head during removal, the belt was fitted to this engine for seven years and four months and had covered 83,000 miles from being fitted and failure occurring.

The belt was a genuine Rover item, fitted at an MGR garage, and apart from the obvious defect was otherwise visually perfect.

There was no other contamination to the belt.

This was a vehicle where I subsequently rebuilt the engine for the owner, the question was asked about KV6 timing belt failure earlier in another thread, well I can confirm this is a case of a timing belt failure with no apparent cause.

A picture paints a thousand words, and I hope for your sake you do not through your obvious neglect of the maintenance of your own car, or denial that sometimes timing belts break, have to suffer the heartache of rebuilding your own engine.

And stop quoting me out of context to suit your own ends please

Brian
Old 27th April 2017, 21:19   #34
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

With regards to 'new' belts that have been sitting on a shelf for a few years, these can suffer different types of degradation.

If you are going to fit new belts, ensure they are new ones.
Old 27th April 2017, 21:29   #35
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If you are going to fit new belts, ensure they are new ones.
Which poses an interesting question. Do belts have sell-by dates on the wrappers?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 21:48   #36
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Which poses an interesting question. Do belts have sell-by dates on the wrappers?

TC
Yes they do after a fashion TC

The date of manufacture is normal stickered on the box, and manufacturers will have the specific information pertaining to storage, use by date and fitting instructions on their respective website, if not on a printed slip inside the packaging.

My own 1800 will be getting all it's belts replaced in the summer, as it is approaching five years since I fitted them

These are one thing you don't really want to have in stock, but bought when needed

Brian
Old 28th April 2017, 06:43   #37
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I fitted a belt and tensioner from SKF on my recently sick MGF.
The box had a date of 2014 on the sticker, so could potentially be 3 years old.

I am not too worried about the shelf life. Packed nicely with a stiff plastic cover and with no sharp bends to the belt.
Old 28th April 2017, 06:55   #38
SD1too

Quote:
...the belt was fitted to this engine for seven years and four months and had covered 83,000 miles from being fitted and failure occurring. The belt was a genuine Rover item, fitted at an MGR garage ...
Let's look at this evidence then Brian and put it into context. The difference between that engine and mine is that a main dealer workshop was involved. You cannot rule out careless workmanship when this belt was fitted. We read about it all the time don't we; problems with cars that have been maintained by the trade. You have corrected the damage yourself on many occasions, including this one.
Quote:
... this is a case of a timing belt failure with no apparent cause.
There is a cause; you just are not inclined to consider it because it's easier to impress people with your dramatic stories.
Quote:
... I hope for your sake you do not through your obvious neglect of the maintenance of your own car ...
My goodness, yet another defamatory remark. Why are you so afraid of a logical argument which opposes your own? You are displaying intolerance and insecurity Brian. Some might be reconsidering whether to use your services in the future.

By the way, here is what you fellow trader, Big Russ, posted on the subject two years ago:

"The belts on our cars do not spontaneously break on their own no matter what age or mileage they've done
Belt breakage in almost all cases has been caused by the tensioner, idler wheel, water pump or covers interfering with the belt."

Has Russ got his head in the sand as well? Does he obviously neglect his own cars and his customers' cars?

Simon
Old 28th April 2017, 06:55   #39
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

With regard to belt degradation it really is difficult to reconcile the concepts of a) a component which will stand up to 90k miles'-worth of high tension, high temperature punishment with b) one that will degrade to a sufficient degree to cause premature failure simply through sitting in a box. These are automotive components, not jelly snakes. I know it appears that everyone can produce a picture or a story (or knows someone who knows someone who can) relating to a spectacular failure. But these attract attention for the simple reason that ARE unusual. What would be a better measure would be the number of non-failures.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 07:02   #40
SD1too

Russell, thanks for your sensible contribution to the debate.

Simon