Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2008, 09:43   #1
Mac_rouser
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon and 75 Tourer

Default Mirror Repair and Door card Removal -Door mirror vandals - this ever happened to you?

I am unable to post in the how to section, so I am posting here, if a mod wants to take care of where it is best placed, here, how-to or the trash can please feel free :-)

I read there is a restriction to the number of foto's per post, I shall do this in two parts..

Part One :

Has this ever happened to you... got back to your Rover 75 to find some mindless moron has had a fight with your wing mirror ? Didn’t even leave a note to say sorry ..

Yup, me too.

After I finished cursing ;-) And learning the replacement mirror was likely to cost at least £87 Here's what I did to sort the problem, being practical and inquisitive minded I just love to take things apart and find out how they tick, I suppose having a building/engineering/construction background helps?

Invariably it is the base/flange of the spigot, that the mirror rotates on, that gets damaged.
Unfortunately none of the parts that make up the mirror assembly are available individually apart from the mirror glass and the rear covers, which incidentally come in three varieties, namely Black, Colour Co-ordinated or Chrome, and there are two style types, Bullet, or scull. Both are assembled in pretty similar ways. Screws or nuts on studs to secure the mirror to the door.

Anyway here goes, this is my three pence fix for a £87 problem. Not taking my time into account as I work for smarties.
I hope this helps someone. Its not as bad as it looks :-)

01-r75bmr the damage

02-r75bmr closer look

Ok, need to get the mirror off the door to work on it... two options here, (1)remove the door card completely, or (2)just remove the inner door window finisher sufficiently enough, to gain access to the three mirror fixings.

Either way start with :

03-r75bmr remove retaining screw form air vent in door card, careful not to drop it into the air duct !

Then, adopting option (1) :

04-r75bmr gently prise the window controller and remove

05-r75bmr remove retaining screw from the door lever finisher

06-r75bmr working from this point, gently pull the door card away from its fixings, using care should keep all connectors intact

07-r75bmr continue around the remaining door card fixings

NOTE :
just under the door lever, are two retaining clips on the inside of the door card, professionals suggest reaching in with your hands to separate from door, or using a lever of some sort, perhaps similar to a wide bladed screwdriver.
In all honesty it is much easier to lift the door card sharply upward, from a firm grip at the bottom of the door, the card will come away from the cill clips, and the hidden center clips which can then be removed from the door and placed back on the door card ready for re-assembly

08-r75bmr since the retaining lugs are easily broken from the chrome finisher, pull the door card away from the door and push the holding lugs from behind, at the same time remove the door lever cable

09-r75bmr chrome finisher separated from the door lever assembly

10-r75bmr close up of cable release method

11-r75bmr unclip the mirror cable and remove the retaining screws whilst supporting the mirror outside

if adopting method (2), then :

03a-r75bmr gently prise away the plastic inner door window finishing trim

04a-r75bmr with the window down, work along the frame

05a-r75bmr at the same time, carefully prise the trim away from the door itself externally

06a-r75bmr this should now allow sufficient freedom to pull the trim to one side, unclip the tweeter cable and remove the retaining screws whilst supporting the mirror outside

12-r75bmr gently remove the mirror and foam gasket

13-r75bmr mirror removed clearly showing the damaged flange at the base of the central light alloy pivotal spigot

14-r75bmr remove the foam gasket

15-r75bmr remove the base cover trim

16-r75bmr the cable run is now visible and the cable can be removed

17-r75bmr main mirror body separated from door fixture section

18-r75bmr main mirror body separated from door fixture section

19-r75bmr working from this point with a flat tool, remove the scull mirror cover cap

20-r75bmr gently push in retaining lugs and remove cover cap

21-r75bmr the top side of the spigot can clearly be seen complete with its castellated beveled washer

22-r75bmr to remove the mirror glass, first push fully to the outside

23-r75bmr gently working the release clip applying outward pressure to the glass

24-r75bmr mirror glass separated from retaining clip

25-r75bmr pushing the motor rocker fully in the opposite direction, the glass can be removed

26-r75bmr mirror glass removed

27-r75bmr mark which connector goes where, and unclip the wires

28-r75bmr three components remain, mirror motor with rocker, inner assembly with pivotal spigot and the main mirror body

29-r75bmr handholding a drill bit gives careful control in removing the plastic retaining rivets only three are visible, the forth is hidden under the mirror motor

30-r75bmr I chose to remove the mirror rocker from the motor, as the motor is held in by three hard to get to plastic moulded lugs, which easily break when disturbed

31-r75bmr push the retaining yellow motor controllers out from their sockets

32-r75bmr close up

33-r75bmr twisting the rocker30degress, will release it from its central holding clip

34-r75bmr prise motor from three plastic holding clips, don't worry if these break

35-r75bmr pull away motor

36-r75bmr noting positions, unclip cables

37-r75bmr pull cables free from housing

38-r75bmr the hidden rivet can now be drilled

39-r75bmr separate the inner assembly with pivotal spigot from the main mirror body

40-r75bmr damaged spigot end with flange missing, clearly showing the key or keep

41-r75bmr carefully remove 6 or 7mm of the keep with a hacksaw and file to clean

42-r75bmr a little blurred but part of the keep removed

43-r75bmr turn assembly over to show castellated / internal toothed, retaining washer
Mac_rouser is offline   Reply With Quote