Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2024, 09:40   #11
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
The showing off to neighbours seem to be the main driving force behind purchases. The financial rewards and practical downsides over buying I.C.E is virtually non existent . Im sure depreciation alone, will not cover the gains of low emmisions charges made in the capitol and other large cities. Let them get on with it ...
Certainly they are losing 30% depreciation over the 12 month timeline according to the list I posted in an earlier thread. Another downside is the safety of pedestrians at road junctions. If they are not extra vigilant an EV could collide with them as they are so much more silent.

The upside? Providing you have a driveway and have installed the charging point then it will be cheaper to fully charge an EV on domestic electricity priced units than a ICE vehicle. There used to be plenty of articles on how much a vehicle would cost over three years but as I don't take any motoring magazines anymore I'm out of touch really.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:43   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Comparing ICE’s with EV’s on a like for like basis is misleading on a grand scale. From initial purchase to trade in and uptake of 2nd hand cars, and of course fuelling, it is not like-for-like.

We are all at the mercy of energy providers and once again the money men are in charge. Does anyone see the very recent slight reduction in domestic energy prices as barely sufficient to repair the damage to household budgets? In a stroke they backed off due to widespread criticism and booming profits.

Overnight domestic charging for EV’s is at present relatively cheaper than liquid fuel and therefore attractive. In the trade it’s known as a ‘call bird’ – in other words a come-and-buy-me front. The energy providers can of course charge, to an extent, whatever they like and always respond to markets for their product. If and when market penetration by EV’s reaches optimum levels, er, well, ‘nuff said I think.
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:23   #13
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
... Another downside is the safety of pedestrians at road junctions. If they are not extra vigilant an EV could collide with them as they are so much more silent.
Legally, the resposibility for vigilance sits with the driver, not the pedestrian. The Highway Code update of 2022 brought in a heirarchy of responsibility with the most vulnerable the most protected. Still, that doesn't mean that pedestrians shouldn't be unaware. It goes both ways.

I get what you're saying though. The silence of an EV, unless the driver has it in tyre shredding mode, is a concern. Thought our former chums in the EU were going to bring in an audio warning for speeds lower that a certain threshold?
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:37   #14
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Many on here know that my dog, Quizzie, was a Guide Dog puppy which we had from 8 weeks old.

Not surprisingly the silence of EV's is a massive issue for those with sight impairment.

As my motorcycle instructor said....It doesn't really matter who is technically or legally at fault, it's you lying on the road.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:28   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes I know what you mean. Last night coming up from my garage, I looked both ways before crossing the road. Nothing in sight or sound. When I was about 4 foot from the pavement on the other side, I sensed there was something coming from my left hand side. No noise, just a feeling. Turned and looked and there was an EV coming at a rate of knots above the 20 mph that applies on our estate. Funny enough, I could hear it going up the road after it had passed by.
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:52   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Legally, the resposibility for vigilance sits with the driver, not the pedestrian. The Highway Code update of 2022 brought in a heirarchy of responsibility with the most vulnerable the most protected. Still, that doesn't mean that pedestrians shouldn't be unaware. It goes both ways.

I get what you're saying though. The silence of an EV, unless the driver has it in tyre shredding mode, is a concern. Thought our former chums in the EU were going to bring in an audio warning for speeds lower that a certain threshold?

All EV's have to have a pedestrian warning noise by law that's on up to 12mph, The pedestrian warning sound on the MG ZS EV is really quiet & you really need to listen for it.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 06:57   #17
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
All EV's have to have a pedestrian warning noise by law that's on up to 12mph, The pedestrian warning sound on the MG ZS EV is really quiet & you really need to listen for it.
Really?

Does that apply to hybrids, too?

I’m not sure mine makes any noise.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 07:03   #18
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Overnight domestic charging for EV’s is at present relatively cheaper than liquid fuel and therefore attractive. In the trade it’s known as a ‘call bird’ – in other words a come-and-buy-me front. The energy providers can of course charge, to an extent, whatever they like and always respond to markets for their product. If and when market penetration by EV’s reaches optimum levels, er, well, ‘nuff said I think.
I don’t know what deals are available from energy providers at the moment, but my experience of ‘economy 7’ type deals is that you get a reduced rate overnight, but pay a higher than normal price for the other seventeen hours of the day.

People saying that they only pay x-pence per KWh to charge their EVs could be misleading if you factor in any additional costs for their electricity.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 07:35   #19
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Funny enough, I could hear it going up the road after it had passed by.

It is caused by the "Doppler effect", When a sound source is moving away from you, the wavelength is "stretched" and hence the frequency is lowered, in your case, to a frequency that perhaps you can better hear
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 07:36   #20
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
Really?

Does that apply to hybrids, too?

I’m not sure mine makes any noise.

Yes, hybrids have to have a pedestrian warning it too. I couldn't hear in our MG ZS EV whilst driving off so I asked my missus to drive up & down the service road at less than 12mph & it's barely audible,
Once you've got your ear in to listen for it then you can hear it. It sounds like a synth sound, It's on by default & I'm not sure if you can turn the volume up in the menus.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote