Notices

Old 21st January 2017, 20:30   #31
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I live in a culture where winter tyres are actually necessary. If you are on an Autobahn and there is a snow dump, yes, you really need them or you are going to be a danger to others.

When the snow is settling on the autobahn, little changes for the most part, people continue travelling at 120Kph+ and you had better pray you don't slide anywhere in packed traffic as the snow is settling if you are on summers.

Also when you are skiing in the mountains or visiting really rural places you need them also.

Its totally totally different having a continental climate with cold winters compared to the UK, where its snowed how many times this winter? ONCE?! Maybe once and a small sprinkling?

rofl.

When you have actually have experience of when snow tyres REALLY are necessary, it really makes the argument about them in the UK even more hilarious!

A big percentage of Germans also keep to summers all year round too, if they just live in the cities like 90% of the UK population, so if a lot of Germans don't even bother, then its even more of a laugh in the UK.
Do you really need to be so patronising If people want to, & feel safer doing so, why not fit tyres to suit whatever conditions Personal choice, no need to ridicule them I have a very nice thick weatherproof (expensive) winter coat, only wear it 2/3 months a year, but it does the job, does that make me laughable because I've taken precautions
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 20:35   #32
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
When you have actually have experience of when snow tyres REALLY are necessary, it really makes the argument about them in the UK even more hilarious!
Like I said in an earlier post, I started this thread about winter tyres, NOT snow tyres. There seems to be some confusion about this

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 21:05   #33
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I have a very nice thick weatherproof (expensive) winter coat, only wear it 2/3 months a year, but it does the job
Does it look like this Ronnie?
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 21:56   #34
OBC John
Regular poster

Jaguar XF-S

Quote:
I live in a culture where winter tyres are actually necessary. If you are on an Autobahn and there is a snow dump, yes, you really need them or you are going to be a danger to others.

When the snow is settling on the autobahn, little changes for the most part, people continue travelling at 120Kph+ and you had better pray you don't slide anywhere in packed traffic as the snow is settling if you are on summers.

Also when you are skiing in the mountains or visiting really rural places you need them also.

Its totally totally different having a continental climate with cold winters compared to the UK, where its snowed how many times this winter? ONCE?! Maybe once and a small sprinkling?

rofl.

A big percentage of Germans also keep to summers all year round too, if they just live in the cities like 90% of the UK population, so if a lot of Germans don't even bother, then its even more of a laugh in the UK.
And God preserve us from the patronising rantings of the self righteous.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
Old 21st January 2017, 21:59   #35
OBC John
Regular poster

Jaguar XF-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Like I said in an earlier post, I started this thread about winter tyres, NOT snow tyres. There seems to be some confusion about this
THIS!! 👍👍

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
Old 22nd January 2017, 00:14   #36
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Find me a winter tyre thats not designed for snow.....

Just trying to save people from wasting their money, believing a lot of hype about nothing.

People seem to think they are velcro or something. Ive a set of very expensive winters on mine due to where I live most of the year, and if I break forcefully, they will lock up and skid just like summers would do, the real difference is the extra speed you can carry.

If people are under the illusion that they are miraculous on UK roads, its fantasy.7

If you are on a road in the UK thats all snowed up, and everyone is driving at 15mph because its dicey, quite what is the benefit of your winters at this point?!

Ive laid out two of the primary common scenarios above. On the Autobahn, snow hits, everyone carries on like the 4" of snow isnt even there! And rural mountain roads in winter than are iced and snowed up for longer periods. Infact most of the really bad roads you are not allowed on unless you have CHAINS, let alone winters!

Last edited by T16; 22nd January 2017 at 00:21..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:54   #37
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Find me a winter tyre thats not designed for snow.....

Just trying to save people from wasting their money, believing a lot of hype about nothing.

People seem to think they are velcro or something. Ive a set of very expensive winters on mine due to where I live most of the year, and if I break forcefully, they will lock up and skid just like summers would do, the real difference is the extra speed you can carry.

If people are under the illusion that they are miraculous on UK roads, its fantasy.7

If you are on a road in the UK thats all snowed up, and everyone is driving at 15mph because its dicey, quite what is the benefit of your winters at this point?!

Ive laid out two of the primary common scenarios above. On the Autobahn, snow hits, everyone carries on like the 4" of snow isnt even there! And rural mountain roads in winter than are iced and snowed up for longer periods. Infact most of the really bad roads you are not allowed on unless you have CHAINS, let alone winters!
I have a set of Michelin Alpins on steel rims, I bought them 3yrs ago when I was travelling from Peterhead to Bolton nearly every weekend. Some weekends there was snow, many times it was below zero, just the kind of weather these tyres were designed for as the compound they are made from will remain pliable below 5c where summers will not.
Pliable is good, this means a bit extra grip. The sidewalls are also less stiff, this allows the tyre to deflect over bumps/potholes keeping the contact patch in contact.
The sipes in winter tyres are designed not only to clear water away, or allow a small level of movement on the contact patch (grip again) but in snow they allow the tyre to hold a small amount of snow. This snow grips the stuff on the floor, strange but true.
Alas, winter tyres are not designed for reckless high speed progress. The speed ratings indicate this.
So, finding myself impressed with my findings (and not basing my judgement on 3rd party opinion) I've bought a set of spare rims for my Shogun and put Alpins on those as well. This has made a difference thats easier to measure at the wheel. Despite being fitted with summer road tyres, it understeers a little on tight bends and roundabouts in winter (not in summer though....?).
With the winters on it doesn't, at normal driving speeds it grips.

So thanks for your opinions on why winter tyres are a con, and we should all ignore the hype, and unless we intend driving at 80 in 2ft of snow we'd be better off spending our cash elsewhere, but my experience leads me to believe that they are worth the outlay.

Oh, and do try to be a little less patronising.

There's a good chap.
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:01   #38
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Interesting thread, a bit like undertrays, oil and mpg threads. If you need winter tyres....get 'em. They're not really necessary here in the South West, the gritters get rid of ice and as for snow, what's that? I doubt anyone drives that recklessly to be skidding all over the place anyway. Incidently, our local Lidl are selling snow chains
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:07   #39
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

My tyres can handle any weather that get thrown at it, torrential rain, snow, ice and mud...
Just leave it there and stay home
Heddy`s correct though if you want them and can afford them then get a set.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:14   #40
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Looks like the long post above was agreeing with me....

They grip in snow, which is what Ive been saying all along.

If you can see black tarmac and it is not ice, its not worth it. If the road is white, Id have nothing but winters on, as the difference is night and day.

The point Im making is that in England you might have this scenario 1 day out of the year, maybe 2?

Also up in Scotland we regularly have roads closed off by the snow gates, so your winter tyres are not going to help if the road is shut

As for the speed rating, this is misleading. My winters are Y rated up to 186 :p

Point is 99% of the roads in the UK 99% of the time are clear of snow or ice. So if you want to spend your money for the 1% of the 1% go right ahead!

Im back from Germany right now with winters on, and have yet to experience any weather here that Ive needed them for.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote