Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2023, 21:50   #1
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default At my wits end/almost bought a Jag!

Hi everyone well my ZT190SE which i now call the Black Pearl is once again driving me to despair but yet again it has somehow won me around to its way of thinking!!! Over the last few weeks as you know we have had quite a bit of rain and i was tempted to get a car cover to put over the ZT when it was raining to try and stop any water getting in again. Anyway i didnt bother in the end because i do use the car most days but only for very low mileages and also i thought knowing my luck someone would probably pinch the car cover anyway. Suddenly i started to notice the windows steaming up with condensation again and that tell tale smell of damp inside the car. Sure enough on pulling some of the carpet up slightly on the drivers side the carpet and foam backing is wet yet again. Luckily at the moment it is contained to just the drivers side, the passenger side appears dry. So as you can imagine i was annoyed about this as it is about the fourth time now that i have had water getting into the car. I then opened the sunroof and poured water down into the sunroof drain holes and all 4 drains appear to be draining out as normal onto the road through the wheelarches. I now have the task of removing the drivers seat and pulling the carpet up as much as i can and trying to find out where the water is getting in. Never an easy task. In the meantime my exhaust developed a slight blow and i found that one of the twin rear tailpipes was about to drop off. At this point i had had enough and i must admit over the last couple of weeks i have been sorely tempted to get rid of it and have been looking at the Jaguar XF 3.0Diesel which can be picked up for quite reasonable prices. But then i thought well what can i do with my ZT? I cant sell it like it is because some of the roof interior headlining is still hanging down from my last water ingress episode also and i did think about taking it off the road and putting it on SORN but then i dont really have anywhere to park it safely. What a dilemma but at this point i was really disillusioned and disheartened about the car after the 5 years i have owned it and all the jobs and money i have spent on it trying to look after it and get it right. The Jaguar XF was beginning to look more and more appealing. I was going through all kinds of anguish and turmoil about what to do with the ZT in my heart of hearts i didnt really want to get rid of it and also disconnect myself from the owners club. Anyway something happened in my thought process along the way and i ended up booking my car into MIJ Exhausts in Walsall and spending £400 on a new cat-back stainless steel exhaust system! So i guess that kind of changed things and now i have decided after much deliberation to keep the Black Pearl and instead of spending a few grand on another completely different car i am going to spend maybe a couple of grand getting some jobs done on the ZT much to my wifes annoyance! These include getting the interior roof headlining replaced which i have already been quoted £450, a new rear chassis subframe about £400, my alloy wheels refurbished and maybe putting a new clutch in it as the car is now on 93,000 miles. All of these improvements are still much cheaper than another car so once again the ZT wins. So please fellow club members, tell me i have made the right decision and i am not completely mad!!! Regards Mark the mad ZT owner.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2023, 21:56   #2
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Better the devil you know
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2023, 22:20   #3
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Better the devil you know
That is so true mate and one of the decision makers that prompted me to stick with the ZT rather than take on a completely unfamiliar car which i know nothing about and could still end up costing me money. Its a dedication to the ZT that just keeps gathering momentum. I just hope that one day it will all be worthwhile but sometimes it doesnt feel that way.
Old 28th November 2023, 23:35   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Just imagine you bought the Jaguar. I know, I like them also. Then a couple of months down the road, you started to get problems with it. It did not start one morning. You can double/treble the amount it would cost you to get it going again. You know it makes sense to spend a bit more on the Rover, than buy a bigger money pit.
Old 29th November 2023, 12:10   #5
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just imagine you bought the Jaguar. I know, I like them also. Then a couple of months down the road, you started to get problems with it. It did not start one morning. You can double/treble the amount it would cost you to get it going again. You know it makes sense to spend a bit more on the Rover, than buy a bigger money pit.
My thinking exactly. Toyed with the idea of getting a Jag, but reading some of the stuff that owners have to deal with, from failing light units and cam belts/chains to the autobox control dial thingy and the astronomical cost of getting things sorted, I'm sticking with the diesel ZT and my 'new' ZT-T 190.
Old 29th November 2023, 13:12   #6
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
My thinking exactly. Toyed with the idea of getting a Jag, but reading some of the stuff that owners have to deal with, from failing light units and cam belts/chains to the autobox control dial thingy and the astronomical cost of getting things sorted, I'm sticking with the diesel ZT and my 'new' ZT-T 190.
Thats made me feel a whole lot better chaps.
Old 29th November 2023, 13:17   #7
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Thats made me feel a whole lot better chaps.
Think it all boils down to familiarity. I know the ZT quite well and another car would be an unknown quantity. I know the ZT gives me headaches and problems but i can sometimes sort them myself with the help from the Forum and anything i cant deal with i take it down to Lates. And like you say i have also heard horror stories about the XF being expensive to put right so i would have been mortified if i had bought one and then had problems with it.
Old 30th November 2023, 17:56   #8
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default And.

The XF and other models look really nice but....they are rot boxes underneath unless it's a fairly new one, I've had to weld them as late as 13 plate models. The subframes and axle systems are terrible for rusting, I've yet to see a clean one above 5 years old. If anyone is tempted by a shiny Jag, check the MOT history and get it on some ramps to inspect, they're almost as bad as the X type and S type.
I'm biased but I'll rate a 75 or ZT way above any modern Jaguar for quality, there isn't any argument that could convince me otherwise. I replaced a front spring on a stretch limo Jag last week, the job is simple to be honest but although it was a funeral limo and cared for better than most, it had rust bubbles forming on the rear arches.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2023, 10:45   #9
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
i ended up booking my car into MIJ Exhausts in Walsall and spending £400 on a new cat-back stainless steel exhaust system!
Hi Mark, have you had the system fitted yet or is it due to be done?

I am close to this company and I have been searching for a decent exhaust.

I know Tony Banks is highly recommended here but as it's north of Leeds I was seeking someone closer, despite lots of searching no one can give me a definitive "go to these people" company.

Any feedback about them would be great, I have heard mixed reviews about MIJ, but any feedback would be useful.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:40   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My neighbour bought a Jag (lovely looking thing) and had it two years, only to be told that it needed a new servo and braking system (common fault) due to hard pedal and that it would cost more than the car was worth. It broke my heart to see such a lovely car being HIAB hoisted onto the back of a flatback for "recycling"! However, as it rose into the air, we could see all the red rust on the underside of sills and rear chassis sections, which didn't seem to have any kind of rust prevention at all! He then went out and bought ............................... another Jag!!!