Notices

Old 27th November 2023, 20:53   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
The fire in the wing was in front of the engine intakes and was disrupting the airflow to such an extent that the engines were both surging causing a loss of thrust. Fire warnings were also coming from both engines. The pilots throttled back on the two failing engines but the asymmetric thrust from the 2 good engines on full afterburn necessary for trying to maintain a flying speed caused an excessive bank resulting in further loss of lift and the fatal stall. I believe the pilots also in the final moments throttled back on the good engines to cancel the roll towards the inverted. Unfortunately, as soon as the fire started there wouldn't have been anything the pilots could have done to save the aircraft from the minute the aircraft lifted off

I do not know enough to be able to agree or disagree but I will go back to, the official report is not supported by everyone.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2023, 22:17   #12
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
The pilots throttled back on the two failing engines but
Correction .... the flight engineer shut down the no 2 engine without command from the pilots as normal procedures because of a fire warning; the other engine was surging and throttled down initially resulting in an asymmetric condition.

Loss of thrust and disrupted airflow on that side meant that airspeed could not be maintained resulting in a stall with a nose up angle of attack. There were other contributory factors to the accident but in any case once the fuel tank was ruptured, the intensity of the fire meant no action could have saved those poor souls on board

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2023, 17:58   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Correction .... the flight engineer shut down the no 2 engine without command from the pilots as normal procedures because of a fire warning; the other engine was surging and throttled down initially resulting in an asymmetric condition.

Loss of thrust and disrupted airflow on that side meant that airspeed could not be maintained resulting in a stall with a nose up angle of attack. There were other contributory factors to the accident but in any case once the fuel tank was ruptured, the intensity of the fire meant no action could have saved those poor souls on board

We will never know for sure but you are quite likely right. It would however have been, in my opinion better if it had been just a freak accident with a punctured fuel tank and not involved things such as overloading and "shutting down" engines as then then becomes human error and somebodies fault and families have no redress of any kind of those responsible.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 16:31   #14
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The Concorde fleet suffered dozens of tyre failures and on about half a dozen of those occasions fuel tanks were damaged. As long ago as 1979 a tyre failed at Dulles in the USA resulting in damage and fuel leaking from several tanks. Thankfully no fire on that occasion and the jet was recovered but it could have easily had the same outcome as the Paris crash had fate rolled the same dice. After that incident ye olde flight safety culture should have intervened to ensure that a common tyre failure should never again be able to cause that sort of damage but, clearly, it didn't.

I think that the Paris crash was more a Corporate and a Regulatory failure than all of the other links in the chain.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 17:22   #15
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The Concorde fleet suffered dozens of tyre failures and on about half a dozen of those occasions fuel tanks were damaged. As long ago as 1979 a tyre failed at Dulles in the USA resulting in damage and fuel leaking from several tanks. Thankfully no fire on that occasion and the jet was recovered but it could have easily had the same outcome as the Paris crash had fate rolled the same dice. After that incident ye olde flight safety culture should have intervened to ensure that a common tyre failure should never again be able to cause that sort of damage but, clearly, it didn't.

I think that the Paris crash was more a Corporate and a Regulatory failure than all of the other links in the chain.
Indeed, tyre failures by tread shedding were a concern in the early years of Concorde operation and considerable research and modifications were conducted to minimise the risk of catastrophic failure. The redesign of the tyres and ending of the use of retreaded tyres by British Airways in 1981 and then Air France in 1996 entirely eliminated the problem of the tyres shedding their tread. Tyre failures thereafter were mainly due to deflation (not uncommon with other heavyweight aircraft) which didn't present a high risk of structural damage. I'm not aware if tyre research ever considered the cutting open of a tyre by a sharp blade like object at high velocity was ever considered as a likely event. Possibly not

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2023, 14:33   #16
VVC-Geeza
Carpe diem

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

The series continues tonight on C4 at 8-25 with episode 2.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2023, 15:20   #17
VVC-Geeza
Carpe diem

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

There is a short 35 minute prog on the Vulcan tonight (Sunday) at 8-25 on Talking Pictures if anyone else is interested.

Old 4th December 2023, 15:56   #18
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
There is a short 35 minute prog on the Vulcan tonight (Sunday) at 8-25 on Talking Pictures if anyone else is interested.
Aahh, dos it, missed that one!
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 18:14   #19
VVC-Geeza
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Aahh, dos it, missed that one!
Kev
Was excellent,with mainly unseen unique footage.

Old 4th December 2023, 21:26   #20
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Some good inflight footage but thought the ground stuff was a bit lightweight. But then I guess it was a constraint of the time with a need for secrecy given the status of the Vulcan and its role. Don't recall ever seeing a Vulcan stream its brakechute, aerodynamic braking was always used when I was present so I wonder if the streaming was done for the camera. Even so I was surprised to see the chute jettisoned on the runway, would have expected it to have been jettisoned and blown off with engines as it turned off it.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote