Notices

Old 1st June 2023, 13:06   #11
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Ray

Thank goodness we donít all think alike. A couple of days ago, I visited a hospital in North London where everyone was wearing face masks, hand washing signs apparent and the use of sanitisers was encouraged. If itís good enough for them, itís good enough for me. Of course the armchair amateur experts will always know better.
I was in a hospital in Sheffield last week, and again this morning.

No masks to be seen, other than the odd 'vulnerable' patient, and the theatre staff, of course. But they wear masks for an entirely different reason.
daveo138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2023, 16:51   #12
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Whatever 'it' is, was, or might be, it's not catching (on). Saw my GP in-surgery today. The usual waiting room with chairs almost full (18). All about 10" apart.

Nobody masquerading. Neither staff, patients nor postie who came in. Neither the the doctor or the nurse in attendance. Do they know something?
Old 2nd June 2023, 03:29   #13
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
I was in a hospital in Sheffield last week, and again this morning.

No masks to be seen, other than the odd 'vulnerable' patient, and the theatre staff, of course. But they wear masks for an entirely different reason.
Thank you for writing this up and for reporting your experience in Sheffield.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2023, 03:46   #14
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Whatever 'it' is, was, or might be, it's not catching (on). Saw my GP in-surgery today. The usual waiting room with chairs almost full (18). All about 10" apart.

Nobody masquerading. Neither staff, patients nor postie who came in. Neither the the doctor or the nurse in attendance. Do they know something?
Good morning Ray

Thatís interesting and by coincidence I was also visiting the GP yesterday.

The practice had lots of cars parked outside but inside, no GP or nurses to be seen. The only one behind the screened reception desk was the receptionist. No one masking up.

Earlier on in the day, I had been to Lloyds Pharmacy in Sainsburyís to collect my repeat medication only to be told they are closing down for good on 8th June and I will have to go somewhere else for the pills. They said they could not supply one of the medications and I would have to go back to the GP to get a new prescription for this, hence the reason for my visit to the GP. Fortunately I had 2 weeks supply left to cover the deficit.

Whilst filling in the form requesting the missing medication, an elderly lady in front of me was asking for a face to face appointment with the GP who she had not seen for 3 years. I could over hear her being interrogated by the receptionist about this need for the face to face. Fortunately when it came to my turn in the queue, the receptionist was helpful and understanding. Hooray!
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:50   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I had to move away from Lloyds pharmacy last year due to excuses and complete incompetence to a locally run pharmacy, the difference is night and day.
My sister is a retired Pharmacist and she thinks the management and above in Lloyds is very poor.
Judy has Covid last year but I've managed to escape it even though I've been around many with the virus, had all my inoculations as required.
Sad to read Kenya is still having problems.
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:32   #16
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
Wearing a Tin Foil Hat is just as effective as wearing a paper mask.
The Tin Foil Hat will prevent sun burn

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:32   #17
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Our once-registered GP owned the NHS surgery practice. We have recently been informed that he, the lead doctor, has retired and his name has been removed from all lists. He is also now a consulting senior in the private hospital next door. Welcome to the new NHS. Hasten to add, Iím neither anti nor pro private health service. What counts is what works, given available funds.

Memo to self: I must search stated aims of some US health service companies re their aims and acquisitions.

Our surgery has a convenient car park, right in front of it. The parking is mainly restricted to staff only. The surgery is right next door to a private hospital with plenty of parking for patients of that building.

I was in the hospital again today for appointment to discuss results of earlier tests. Bursting, with people everywhere, queuing. Not a mask in sight.
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:37   #18
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
I would like to see audited figures for the last three years of Influenza mortality which mysteriously seem to be, er, unavailable. Like so many other things that eventually come to a brighter light, there is little to recommend blind belief in the outpourings from official sources.

Suspicion is bred and fed by experience of the wider, perhaps sceptical, view. When so much is at stake surely a raised eyebrow must be expected.
Strange that. Back end of 2022 I did just that. Death rate was in the region of just 1% above average. More population = more deaths. Meaning this type of statistic is not set in stone (too many factors can be in-play or ignored).

Kev
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:43   #19
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:

Maybe a realization that life has to go on and shutting oneself away also causes issues. My GP practice during the height of the pandemic was like Fort Knox; impossible to get into and if you did it was like those scenes in Dr No re de-contamination. Back to the relaxed pre-2020 years except receptionists have become practitioners ;-)

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 2nd June 2023 at 12:47.. Reason: grammar & spelling
Old 4th June 2023, 04:18   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I had to move away from Lloyds pharmacy last year due to excuses and complete incompetence to a locally run pharmacy, the difference is night and day.
My sister is a retired Pharmacist and she thinks the management and above in Lloyds is very poor.
Judy has Covid last year but I've managed to escape it even though I've been around many with the virus, had all my inoculations as required.
Sad to read Kenya is still having problems.
Thank you Trevor, hopefully Judy has recovered from Covid. As you know Kenya is a Third World country when it comes to healthcare. The only free treatment in the country is for people with HIV/AIDS or mental illness, everything else is private healthcare or for those who are in poverty or who cannot afford to see a doctor, healthcare is provided by charities, NGO’s or out in the bush where there is nothing, no hospitals, then often people have to resort to herbs or consulting a witch doctor.

A few days before I flew out from Kenya, one morning at about 10:00 a.m, I had a call to the house, asking if I could see to one of the farm workers who was having a fit. When I got to him, he was laying on the concrete floor of the milking parlour covered in blood. He was banging his head forcibly against the floor calling out incoherently. So I held his head and made sure his airway was clear until he had stopping fitting. He suffers from epilepsy and had not taken his medication for epilepsy for a few days.

On looking at his head wounds, several of them were quite deep and needed sutures. Because ambulances are not available, he was taken to the local hospital in my 4x4.

Emergency care which included doctors consultation, head x-Ray, tetanus injection, 20 sutures, local anaesthetic, antibiotics and dressings came to 3,000 Kenyan Shillings or £17.48 which I paid. It’s not much but it’s a fortune if you are poor.

On the plus side, within 2 hours of arriving in A&E, he had been seen, stitched up and was back on work on the farm doing light duties at his insistence. You would not see that in the UK.

If you ever come out to Kenya, it would pay you to take out travel insurance in case you needed treatment in a private hospital or at a clinic. In comparison, issues with Lloyds Pharmacies are an inconvenience.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 4th June 2023 at 04:21..