Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2023, 17:19   #11
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home
 
WillyHeckaslike's Avatar
 
Rovers 75 & 25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wearside
Posts: 4,466
Thanks: 543
Thanked 709 Times in 511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Right, ignore my reply as this new info totally changes the situation.
Kev
All replies are welcome Kev and you mention what I think are some very valid points. The Nationwide B.S. I also have accounts with, I've been with them for a long time and never really had any cause for concern. But earlier this year I chose not to continue with an application for a new account when I got to a question asking for me to state my annual income. Only ever had that question from HMRC and found it offensive and impudent coming from a B.S. with whom I was a long-standing customer with. On querying it I was informed that I was not the first to object but that it was a mandatory question on the application. I left and went immediately to a nearby rival B.S. with whom I was also an existing customer of and gave it my business without any further ado.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2023, 13:03   #12
torque2me
Posted a thing or two
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hatfield
Posts: 1,299
Thanks: 240
Thanked 144 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
So far as I am aware the rules concerning the Subject Access Requests are common to all deposit holding financial sources. However, it is a long time since I was in the business!
Quite, I was just pointing out that giving a counter staff that letter is going to be impossible for any type of a/c if one is unable to visit a branch as they may not be in existence either for the on-line or land based bank. I guess the on-line provide a registered company address (perhaps Luxemburg). Must look into that issue if the company has a European registration.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 09:01   #13
wraymond
I will find or make a way
 
wraymond's Avatar
 
75 Auto 2.5 SE

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcliff on Sea
Posts: 5,131
Thanks: 423
Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default

Ah yes, good point! In that case maybe the only guarantee of receipt is to write to registered offices using 'signed for' recorded delivery. The important thing is to avoid 'them' saying Not Me Guv. The rules imply prompt attention is required which in such cases means within two weeks or so.
__________________
member no. 235
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 13:03   #14
MSS
This is my second home
 
Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 283
Thanked 624 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I've tried to close an account which pays a pittance in interest to move away to get a much better rate. My closure request was refused. Having had the account for many years, which is not a free account and suffers a monthly fee-grab by the provider, I'm now very belatedly being hit with a retrospective demand for photo ID before they will close my account. This has irked me, were it upfront on initial application it wouldn't. But it isn't, it is retrospective and on top of all of the security details that were agreed and provided on initial application for the account many years ago. Not everyone will have photo ID, indeed there have been times when I haven't, and given its cost to obtain and maintain I don't think it unreasonable to question a retrospective demand for it.

Anyone had this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

As they are asking for photo ID before closing the account, the request is technically not retrospective. It is an outcome of their justified due diligence to protect their customers and is common practice.

I've had similar experiences recently and was left very impressed with the steps that the BS took to protect my account - exactly what one would hope for in the current climate of scams and money laundering.

Guess who would be complaing on forums and other social media if the bank or BS closed accounts and handed out money without extensive security checks.

Anyone dealing with personal financial matters in the broadest sense needs to retain photograhic ID such as a passport. This includes, as an example, wishing to use a solicitor. Because solicitor's firms hold payments on account for clients, they have to comply with money laundering legislation and will not act for a person until the necessary ID has been provided and checks completed. The old days of knowing the branch manager of your local building society as an extention of the community and having a family solicitor who will do whatever is needed on the basis of a phone call have long gone.
__________________
Member of the Peasant Underdog Class, Grade 1

Last edited by MSS; 26th September 2023 at 23:19..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2023, 22:29   #15
Gelen
Newbie
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: London
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I've tried to close an account which pays a pittance in interest to move away to get a much better rate. My closure request was refused. Having had the account for many years, which is not a free account and suffers a monthly fee-grab by the provider, I'm now very belatedly being hit with a retrospective demand for photo ID before they will close my account. This has irked me, were it upfront on initial application it wouldn't. But it isn't, it is retrospective and on top of all of the security details that were agreed and provided on initial application for the account many years ago. Not everyone will have photo ID, indeed there have been times when I haven't, and given its cost to obtain and maintain I don't think it unreasonable to question a retrospective demand for it.

Anyone had this problem and if so how did you resolve it?
That's frustrating! It's unreasonable for the provider to retroactively demand photo ID, especially without prior notice. It adds an unnecessary hurdle for account closure. Have you tried escalating the issue with customer service or filing a complaint? I addressed go2bank customer service once for this pusrpose, but fortunately, it was a mistake. It's important to emphasize the lack of upfront transparency and the inconvenience caused by this unexpected requirement.

Last edited by Gelen; 15th November 2023 at 13:02..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 08:04   #16
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two
 
another_clean_sheet's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Great Bardfield, nr Braintree
Posts: 1,407
Thanks: 303
Thanked 436 Times in 317 Posts
Default

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelen View Post
That's frustrating! It's unreasonable for the provider to retroactively demand photo ID, especially without prior notice. It adds an unnecessary hurdle for account closure. Have you tried escalating the issue with customer service or filing a complaint? It's important to emphasize the lack of upfront transparency and the inconvenience caused by this unexpected requirement.
I would prefer to have that agro rather than a scammer empty my account
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 13:05   #17
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home
 
WillyHeckaslike's Avatar
 
Rovers 75 & 25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wearside
Posts: 4,466
Thanks: 543
Thanked 709 Times in 511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I would prefer to have that agro rather than a scammer empty my account
Interesting. Everyone I suspect would want reasonable and sensible security checks to protect an account but unless the requirements are stated upfront on initial application there is no way of knowing if an applicant will be able to meet the requirements. Further more, how do you verify photo ID if it is not asked for on initial application and a copy is not kept for future reference? A scammer could knock up a photo ID containing an image of a gonk but without anything to reference it against how do you determine that it is of the account holder and not a scammer?

I will wager that retrospective demands for something that a person might not have are not verified and are therefore unreasonable. Outfits do it because they can and because it is a nice little earner for them to hang on to money that does not belong to them. If subjected to basic scrutiny they are obtaining by deception as the reason of security is clearly a false pretext when their demands are not backed up with proper checks and verification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelen View Post
That's frustrating! It's unreasonable for the provider to retroactively demand photo ID, especially without prior notice. It adds an unnecessary hurdle for account closure. Have you tried escalating the issue with customer service or filing a complaint? It's important to emphasize the lack of upfront transparency and the inconvenience caused by this unexpected requirement.
Thank you for those words of support. It is more than an inconvenience, I had a time-limited opportunity to invest elsewhere at a much better rate and the opportunity was missed. The account dates back to the 90s and had I been asked then for photo ID I would have declined and moved on. I would not have had any choice because back then I did not have photo ID. My account was eventually taken over by another outfit and it is this newer outfit that is the source of the problem. The takeover was some years ago and it has been merrily taking its monthly fee and the occasional instruction from me without any concern whatsoever. It waited for account closure to be requested and only then did it make known that it has some apparent concern. Nothing has been sorted yet as I've had to give priority to another and more pressing and unrelated matter which has been rumbling on in the background for a few years now. Blimming probate dispute. Yuck!

Get your Wills sorted pronto if not yet done. Pay a pro and avoid DIY.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 14:26   #18
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two
 
another_clean_sheet's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Great Bardfield, nr Braintree
Posts: 1,407
Thanks: 303
Thanked 436 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Interesting. Everyone I suspect would want reasonable and sensible security checks to protect an account but unless the requirements are stated upfront on initial application there is no way of knowing if an applicant will be able to meet the requirements. Further more, how do you verify photo ID if it is not asked for on initial application and a copy is not kept for future reference? A scammer could knock up a photo ID containing an image of a gonk but without anything to reference it against how do you determine that it is of the account holder and not a scammer?

I will wager that retrospective demands for something that a person might not have are not verified and are therefore unreasonable. Outfits do it because they can and because it is a nice little earner for them to hang on to money that does not belong to them. If subjected to basic scrutiny they are obtaining by deception as the reason of security is clearly a false pretext when their demands are not backed up with proper checks and verification.

Thank you for those words of support. It is more than an inconvenience, I had a time-limited opportunity to invest elsewhere at a much better rate and the opportunity was missed. The account dates back to the 90s and had I been asked then for photo ID I would have declined and moved on. I would not have had any choice because back then I did not have photo ID. My account was eventually taken over by another outfit and it is this newer outfit that is the source of the problem. The takeover was some years ago and it has been merrily taking its monthly fee and the occasional instruction from me without any concern whatsoever. It waited for account closure to be requested and only then did it make known that it has some apparent concern. Nothing has been sorted yet as I've had to give priority to another and more pressing and unrelated matter which has been rumbling on in the background for a few years now. Blimming probate dispute. Yuck!

Get your Wills sorted pronto if not yet done. Pay a pro and avoid DIY.

Security has changed so much over the years (and a number of the accounts mentioned have been in existence for many years) and it is theft that is so much more sophisticated these days. When I opened my first Barclays account 60 years ago I did not have to prove who I was or where I lived. So that is an example of where Barclays could ask for more info to close the account than I was asked 60 years previously.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2023, 19:08   #19
MSS
This is my second home
 
Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 7,073
Thanks: 283
Thanked 624 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
e

I would prefer to have that agro rather than a scammer empty my account

In which case, rather like myself, you are depriving yourself of the pelasure of appearing on a TV programme and in the newspapers alongside your daughter/son, niece/nephew...with them complaining on your behalf that the bank just closed the account and handed your money out to scammers without proper checks. Then demanding that the bank pays back your money plus 100% uplift for the stress caused by their reckless practices.
__________________
Member of the Peasant Underdog Class, Grade 1
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2023, 19:14   #20
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two
 
another_clean_sheet's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Great Bardfield, nr Braintree
Posts: 1,407
Thanks: 303
Thanked 436 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
In which case, rather like myself, you are depriving yourself of the pelasure of appearing on a TV programme and in the newspapers alongside your daughter/son, niece/nephew...with them complaining on your behalf that the bank just closed the account and handed your money out to scammers without proper checks. Then demanding that the bank pays back your money plus 100% uplift for the stress caused by their reckless practices.
I am sure that I can survive missing such pleasure.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright © 2006-2023, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd