Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th November 2023, 15:51   #1
VVC-Geeza
Carpe diem

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Concorde.

C4 tonight (Saturday) at 8-30.The story of the development of the world's first supersonic airliner.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2023, 16:42   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
C4 tonight (Saturday) at 8-30.The story of the development of the world's first supersonic airliner.
Thank you.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2023, 17:27   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

FWIW, Air Crash Investigation was interesting into the Air France crash. The Official Report is not agreed with by some in the airline industry and their reason seems sound.
There was also a 2?part program about Concorde and it covered how a "mouthy" pilot was hauled into the chairman's? office and came out with the task of making Concorde profitable which he did.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2023, 17:53   #4
VVC-Geeza
Carpe diem

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
FWIW, Air Crash Investigation was interesting into the Air France crash. The Official Report is not agreed with by some in the airline industry and their reason seems sound.
There was also a 2?part program about Concorde and it covered how a "mouthy" pilot was hauled into the chairman's? office and came out with the task of making Concorde profitable which he did.

macafee2
What other reason was suggested for the accident Ian? I know a fortune was spent lining the fuel tanks with Kevlar before the remainder came back into service.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2023, 07:26   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
What other reason was suggested for the accident Ian? I know a fortune was spent lining the fuel tanks with Kevlar before the remainder came back into service.
Overloading with baggage, over filling with fuel and I am not sure if shutting down an engine once in the air and trying to climb with the fire was another reason.

macafee2
Old 27th November 2023, 14:40   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Overloading with baggage, over filling with fuel and I am not sure if shutting down an engine once in the air and trying to climb with the fire was another reason.

macafee2
The loss of power from that engine was instrumental in ensuring the aircraft could not circle and land again. The delta wing configuration is dangerous at low speeds. We will never know how long that engine had life in it; maybe just seconds? Obviously that fire was huge and even if the aircraft had landed would there be enough time to evacuate everyone from one side of the aircraft?

Of, course in hindsight the upgrade programme should have been put in place anyway when new aircraft production was lining fuel cells at the time of in service of Concorde. Self sealing tanks were introduced in the Second World War, by the Germans first.

What a magnificent aircraft which should have be allowed to go into MkII production. Yes, there would have been a high cost by subsidy but that is offset by engineering knowledge obtained and prestige.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 27th November 2023 at 14:41.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2023, 14:41   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Can't see how overloading with baggage or fuel would have made a difference?
A foreign object from another plane was the root cause. If the tanks had been more resistant to rupture,that I get. Just wondering what the alternative theory was?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2023, 17:41   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Can't see how overloading with baggage or fuel would have made a difference?
A foreign object from another plane was the root cause. If the tanks had been more resistant to rupture,that I get. Just wondering what the alternative theory was?
overloading is a problem for taking off, they need more power and a longer runway to get up to speed.
I am not sure perhaps overloading with passengers too. Shutting down an engine when the plane is trying to climb when the plane is overloaded
could not have helped and the overloading would I suspect add to problems

There is a suggestion that with the fuel tanks being so full, there was no space for the fuel to ripple and so burst the tank.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 27th November 2023 at 17:44..
Old 27th November 2023, 17:43   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
The loss of power from that engine was instrumental in ensuring the aircraft could not circle and land again. The delta wing configuration is dangerous at low speeds. We will never know how long that engine had life in it; maybe just seconds? Obviously that fire was huge and even if the aircraft had landed would there be enough time to evacuate everyone from one side of the aircraft?

Of, course in hindsight the upgrade programme should have been put in place anyway when new aircraft production was lining fuel cells at the time of in service of Concorde. Self sealing tanks were introduced in the Second World War, by the Germans first.

What a magnificent aircraft which should have be allowed to go into MkII production. Yes, there would have been a high cost by subsidy but that is offset by engineering knowledge obtained and prestige.

Kev
Was there a fault with the engine?

macafee2
Old 27th November 2023, 18:27   #10
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

The fire in the wing was in front of the engine intakes and was disrupting the airflow to such an extent that the engines were both surging causing a loss of thrust. Fire warnings were also coming from both engines. The pilots throttled back on the two failing engines but the asymmetric thrust from the 2 good engines on full afterburn necessary for trying to maintain a flying speed caused an excessive bank resulting in further loss of lift and the fatal stall. I believe the pilots also in the final moments throttled back on the good engines to cancel the roll towards the inverted. Unfortunately, as soon as the fire started there wouldn't have been anything the pilots could have done to save the aircraft from the minute the aircraft lifted off

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote