Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th November 2010, 20:10   #11
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

well what a long story this is, if prone to boredom please stop reading now :-)

Now as i mentioned the guy who crashed into me gave me false details. However someone did point me in the right direction of their house. I made a point of driving passed his house the next morning on the way to work....

as luck would have it just as i was passing there he was out of his car shutting the gate to his nice converted barn behind him.

Now the night before i did a web seach for local car dealers and came across his website with the exact peugeot 206 that crashed into me on it, so mystery solved i could now be confident this was the guilty chap.

Now having spent the night getting angrier and angrier i wasnt best pleased when i saw him again, so i hopped out my wounded car at which point he saw me and jumped into his 4 x 4 and sped off. I stood in the middle of the country lane gesturing for him to come back. I must admit the gestures were not semaphore or anything as pleasant.

after he sped off i got back in my car. next thing i know hed thought better of it and come back. he came to my window and said 'can i help you?'. hmm bit of a red rag to a bull me thinks.

I hopped out and said ' yes you can f-ing help me by giving me your real details' he said something along the lines of he had blah blah blah. so next i stepped a little closer to him and said his real name, at which point he went very red and sheepish. he then claimed he thought at an accident scene you gave the registered keepers details/?!?!/ i sarcastically explained to him this was not the case and that you can get this info from the reg plate. Strange how someone with 20 years experience in the motor trade according to his website didnt know something so basic....

anyway i frogmarched him into his house to write down his correct details at which point he basically said hed get a friend to fix my car if i didnt go through insurance, and if i did go through insurance hed say i wasnt indicating. I suggested to him perhaps id rather him not touch my car again and judging by the motors he sells his workmanship might not be quite up to scratch.

anyway i left his house and updated all parties with his correct details. i had a 15 minute conversation with a lady at direct line who seemed to fully understand the situation that initially i was given false details but now have correct ones. She ranted about uninsured drivers and her hate for them. Well at least i thought she understood until i gave her the real details and she said "but these are different to the ones you gave us before". once i explained this to her again and she again understood she then said "so who is this person that you gave us details for before"!. as if that call wasnt bad enough i then had to call the police back who informed me theyd let me know the results of their investigation......which can take up to 6 months!!!!!

on the plus side i have since found out the guy has had the police crawling all over his place for various offences. he's also apparently well known for doing oil changes on cars he sells then forging paperwork to suggest full services etc.

anyway as it stands i still have whiplash and a smashed up car as his insurance company have yet to respond to liability.

rant over :-)
wiltshire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 20:24   #12
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

I think you showed tremendous restraint when confronting the guy, perhaps it was the whiplash injury that held you back
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 20:26   #13
CoOkIeMoNsTeR
Gets stuck in

No job = No Car :(

How really annoying!!!!!! For a service you pay through the nose for and is supposed to be unavoidable, you'd expect far better service then what you do. Insurance is such a pain Hope you are better anyway. I got knocked off my motorbike a few months ago, and sholud be going under the knife again soon, so I know what your feeling. And it isn't pleasent!

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

The CookieMonster fleet:-
No car anymore unless you can give me a job
I used to own a VW, but I don't like to talk about it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 07:08   #14
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I admire your determination in having to deal with:

a Dodgy character
Insurers
The Police

Whilst having to endure spinal pain, the inconvenience of it all as well as what happened to your car. Not forgetting the psychological trauma and the feelings you have had to experience and coping or not, let alone time which is all unknown.

You have done the right things and persevered.

All I can say is that you keep posting. It is not boring as what happened to you, can happen to any of us here. Certain aspects of your experience has also happened to me, but this is your thread and dilemma. It is more important that you are able to keep posting..of course at your discretion!

Try to stay positive

Phil
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 13:14   #15
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I got knocked off a motorbike in 1977, the asswipe did not stop, no one was able to get his number. I was pleased as punch when a police officer came to the hospital to interviw me who said "We got him". I asked how, he said the vehicle recovery driver stood your bike up

and his numberplate was wedged between my bikes rear wheel and the shock

They waited near his house and pounced on him when he got home, they reckoned he was hiding for the dust to settle, he was drunk.