Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2016, 15:23   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Im Moaning about a whine! or I could whine!!

After a lot of time and money I have reached the point where the car is "almost" perfect with all servicing and obvious mechanical tasks taken care of.,inc of Harmony/Cd update. Flew though MOT and service checks.

Rover 75 tourere,2.0CDTi Diesel Auto.
However the wife drove home today with me in the passenger seat, since owning the vehicle something has been bugging me (no not the wife),which today for the first time in the passenger seat suddenly became apparent, there is a whine emanating from the left side of car. Yes radio drowns it out!!! and its not so noticeable in driver position, but its there, which I believe is gearbox side?
Off load, not a sound, but accelerating its there, cruising, its OK?

Appreciate I could ignore with help from radio, but is it worth investigating, if so where would I start??i.e. Is it something that could get terribly worse such as bearing failure?
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 17:59   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I know it's not too easy but changing the gearbox oil might help.

If it is a bearing whine it's not going to get better cos they don't cure themselves.---

Could be the DIFF. They can sometimes whine for years but just go on and on.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 30th November 2016 at 16:51..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 09:44   #3
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I know it's not too easy but changing the oil might help.

If it is a bearing whine it's not going to get better cos they don't cure themselves.---

Could be the DIFF. They can sometimes whine for years but just go on and on.---
Hi Thanks for reply...appreciate its a difficult symptom......just hoped someone may have come across it before......if its a bearing whine, it will soon make its self known! If its the diff I will live with it, spent too much to turn back now!
As for the oil that was all done(properly)by yours truly just last month.: shrug:
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 30th November 2016, 10:23   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Derek

I assume John was referring to the gearbox oil - is this what you changed last month ?.

Assuming this noise is associated with the car in motion (it stops when the car is stationary) other possible causes might be:

- Tyre/wheel noise (try swapping round the wheels to see if this changes anything) .
- Wheel bearing (you can try the usual test of seeing if the wheel rocks top to bottom when jacked up, but this dos not usually show anything - a rough feel to the bearing when the wheel is rotated, and rumbling with increased noise on cornering are better indicators of a bearing problem).
- Drive shaft issue - the fact the noise is there mainly under load would support differential or drive shaft being the source of the noise. Try the test for CV joint wear - drive the car slowly on full lock both forwards and backwards and listen for clicking noise. Vibration at higher speeds can also be an indicator of CV joint problem (assuming the tracking is correct and wheels are in balance).

A few things to think about - come back to us with the outcome of your investigations !

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:47   #5
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Derek

I assume John was referring to the gearbox oil - is this what you changed last month ?.

Assuming this noise is associated with the car in motion (it stops when the car is stationary) other possible causes might be:

- Tyre/wheel noise (try swapping round the wheels to see if this changes anything) .
- Wheel bearing (you can try the usual test of seeing if the wheel rocks top to bottom when jacked up, but this dos not usually show anything - a rough feel to the bearing when the wheel is rotated, and rumbling with increased noise on cornering are better indicators of a bearing problem).
- Drive shaft issue - the fact the noise is there mainly under load would support differential or drive shaft being the source of the noise. Try the test for CV joint wear - drive the car slowly on full lock both forwards and backwards and listen for clicking noise. Vibration at higher speeds can also be an indicator of CV joint problem (assuming the tracking is correct and wheels are in balance).

A few things to think about - come back to us with the outcome of your investigations !

Cheers

Pete
Hi Pete. Yes transmission oil was changed by me last month.
The car had gone in for 90,000 mile service(actual mileage is 82000),but I chose the wrong garage as their answer to auto gearbox fluid was "Doesn't require changing just topping up!!!"
So I did it myself the correct way, (took 9.5 litres out due to their incompetence,) replaced with 8 litres Texaco N402.
It was put in for service early, just to get all belts and fluids changed etc. and get me to a level playing field!
It also had new tyres,/balanced, full health check, suspension drop arms replaced followed by four wheel alignment and tracking. Plus a few other problems, and MOT.
If it wasn't for the fact that the vehicle is both immaculate outside, inside and under, I would have closed my wallet some time ago...at the moment just finished upgrading audio system to Harmony and Cd player.

Since their efforts, doing my own inspection I have had to change Hydra mount and lower mount, plus drivers door seal, new exhaust. So much for their health check!!!

So back to my moan about whine! Only occurs when in motion, but I will for piece of mind carry out the checks you suggest. No vibes at high speed so can write that one off, but the others are well worth doing. If it is transmission then I will have to live with it,but if shaft then that I can sort. Cheers Pete Regards Derek will get back with results...definitely a Rover nut!!!
Old 30th November 2016, 16:02   #6
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Derek,

Once again where you lead I follow

I'm waiting to see where this goes as I have a whine too!

Any chance that at some point you'll get around to rear drop links and the tension pulley
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 16:27   #7
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Derek,

Once again where you lead I follow

I'm waiting to see where this goes as I have a whine too!

Any chance that at some point you'll get around to rear drop links and the tension pulley
What it is to have your own fan club!!
Hi Dave where is your Whine coming from? i.e. which side, and volume, just so we can compare notes???

As for 2nd part of interesting message...no chance!! Having said that, years ago I did do a tension pulley, with help from the Forum and it wasn't that difficult. Seriously.

Will keep in touch regarding my moan about my whine!
Old 30th November 2016, 16:39   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Derek

I notice you had new tyres fitted - did the whine appear after the new tyres were fitted ?? Some makes of tyre on certain wheel rims give a whine/whirring sound on certain road surfaces. I have a bit of this on my car, but I run it on all-season tyres on steel rims, which give a bit more noise under certain conditions and it is dependent on temperature and road surface. I have just put winter tyres on our Skoda Yeti, and get a similar noise on certain road surfaces.

What make/type of tyres were fitted ? What wheels do you have on your car ? It might be worth trying a swap round of tyres/wheels first to see if this changes anything.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 16:47   #9
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Here you go Derek, for comparison..

My whine is right in front of me as I drive so I'm thinking its emanating somewhere from the gearbox area. Reminds me very much of a detuned radio with no ferrolite(?) rings picking up interference and only really noticable when accelerating. It rises and falls as the engine revs rise and fall.

Once cruising speed has been obtained it kind of fades into the background as it stays at the same note and my ears are only tuned for descrepancies / abnormalities and not steady state. It isn't there when stationary and revving the engine.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 17:02   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Dave.---Is your gearbox automatic ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote