Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2018, 13:00   #1
KAKADU
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur

Default Issue after fitting inline therm on rover 75 diesel

Hi

Any help\info would be appreciated. Yesterday I fitted and in-line thermostat as per video\forum instructions. Prior to this my heating was only luke warm and temp gauge only went to 7pm and that was if I was at motorway speeds.

Anyhow since fitting the new thermostat the temp gauge needle has been bang on 9pm even after two or three runs on the motorway and the diagnostics show between 82-84 under normal driving. I am very happy with the heat inside the car. I have had the car for over 7 years and never once has the gauge been at 9pm even after having a garage fit a new normally positioned thermostat.

The problem is that after a run I have noticed that there is engine coolant around the top of the expansion tank. It has also splashed over the engine bay. I didn't notice until this morning as it was dark when I took the car out last night after fitting the new in-line therm. After fitting I ran the engine for about 10 mins with the expansion tank cover off in order to remove any air blockages.

When I first noticed it this morning I at first I assumed that I had not screwed the expansion cap on tight enough the night before. Hence the spillage. I topped it back up as I could see that it was low. It took about a quarter of a litre. I made sure that the cap was fully tightened and went for a short drive and when I got back the same thing had happened ie coolant on top of expansion tank and engine bay.

Regards

John
KAKADU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:09   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAKADU View Post
Hi

Any help\info would be appreciated. Yesterday I fitted and in-line thermostat as per video\forum instructions. Prior to this my heating was only luke warm and temp gauge only went to 7pm and that was if I was at motorway speeds.

Anyhow since fitting the new thermostat the temp gauge needle has been bang on 9pm even after two or three runs on the motorway and the diagnostics show between 82-84 under normal driving. I am very happy with the heat inside the car. I have had the car for over 7 years and never once has the gauge been at 9pm even after having a garage fit a new normally positioned thermostat.

The problem is that after a run I have noticed that there is engine coolant around the top of the expansion tank. It has also splashed over the engine bay. I didn't notice until this morning as it was dark when I took the car out last night after fitting the new in-line therm. After fitting I ran the engine for about 10 mins with the expansion tank cover off in order to remove any air blockages.

When I first noticed it this morning I at first I assumed that I had not screwed the expansion cap on tight enough the night before. Hence the spillage. I topped it back up as I could see that it was low. It took about a quarter of a litre. I made sure that the cap was fully tightened and went for a short drive and when I got back the same thing had happened ie coolant on top of expansion tank and engine bay.

Regards

John
Hi John, don't take this the wrong way LOL!, you have put the thermostat in the top hose I presume, is it the right way round, are you filling up the expansion tank to much if you are it will throw out the excess.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:32   #3
KAKADU
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur

Default Issue resolved

Hi Joules

No offence taken.

I got a lad from up the street to come and have a look and it was indeed the coolant cap that wasn't tightened down enough. We dried off the top of the expansion tank and revved the engine and coolant came out of the cap. I suffer with arthritis of the fingers and I had previously screwed it down as far as I could. My friend tightened it correctly and now there is now no sign of any coolant leaks.

Many thanks

Regards

John
Old 9th February 2018, 14:04   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The pressure cap shouldn't require any considerable force to seal it. The usual problem is with the flat washer just under the cap. This is what actually seals the pressure. The o-rings are secondary to that and even without them, the cap will hold pressure. If the flat washer has any deep grooving/compression damage, it needs replacing. Usually, this implies replacing the cap, but you might find a suitable rubber washer on eBay. Always use a silicone/rubber lube on the washer and o-rings.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:28   #5
KAKADU
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur

Default Expansion Tank Cap

Hi

We checked the seals and they were fine. Issue was that I had only screwed it down about half way as I find it difficult to grasp things.

Regards

John
Old 9th February 2018, 18:03   #6
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
....Always use a silicone/rubber lube on the washer and o-rings.

TC

Eh? I never heard of doing that.
I suppose it couldn't harm.
Have you any recommendations / suggestions for a suitable lube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 18:49   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Eh? I never heard of doing that.
I suppose it couldn't harm.
All O-rings should be lubricated on fitting and especially where moving surfaces are involved.

Quote:
Have you any recommendations / suggestions for a suitable lube?
Look for O-ring or rubber lubricant on eBay. Any will do. I have Vitron rings so Vaseline is satisfactory (Note that some rubber types shouldn't use hydrocarbons/Vaseline).

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote