Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th September 2016, 09:28   #21
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

The only thing I've hear regarding reliability was some wheel bearing problems on the MG3.
I have for many a long year criticised Chinese products for quality, there is some good stuff out there for sure but still a lot of tat.
The problem is that we just dont know how these vehicles will pan out over say a 10 year period nor if the parts back up will be good. My daughter bought an MG3 two weeks ago, an ex managers car from Longbridge, I gave it a really close inspection and passed it as excellent, panel fit good, quiet engine, paint first class and equipment level much higher than the brochure states, slightly quirky inside but that was to Emma's taste.
She does around 6000 miles a year so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Lets not forget the UK & China have a few major building plans that are and will be going on so if they tighten up nut and bolts in a power station with a big boot God help us if it all blows up!!!!
Old 24th September 2016, 09:52   #22
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

They have such a poor dealer network up here in Scotland I'm not surprised I've only ever seen one mg3.

I've just checked there listings and the nearest listed dealer is Camerons in Perth. Now, Camerons is a VW/Audi dealer, has been for as long as I know. I drive past there pretty much everyday. They have no MG's, no advertising or signs anywhere. MG used to list a dealer in Dundee. They at least had a small sign (below the Subaru and Mitsubishi one's) but no sign of any stock. Signs gone now.

I really don't think they have tried hard enough to enter the market. Nobody has heard of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 10:20   #23
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

I see quite a lot of them locally ,I've even seen a gs on the road . I must see at least a couple of mg3's a day and the odd mg 6 .might be as there are two dealers within 15 miles of me!
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 11:59   #24
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
They have such a poor dealer network up here in Scotland I'm not surprised I've only ever seen one mg3.

I've just checked there listings and the nearest listed dealer is Camerons in Perth. Now, Camerons is a VW/Audi dealer, has been for as long as I know. I drive past there pretty much everyday. They have no MG's, no advertising or signs anywhere. MG used to list a dealer in Dundee. They at least had a small sign (below the Subaru and Mitsubishi one's) but no sign of any stock. Signs gone now.

I really don't think they have tried hard enough to enter the market. Nobody has heard of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree, I remember an article in a newspaper stating they were looking to appoint a dealer in Inverness but it never transpired. MG in the U.K.is an absolute farce as far as a major player in the market. Poor dealer network and abysmal customer service, they're just not interested
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 19:04   #25
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRover View Post
Who cares? If we had a car industry of our own then ok since we don't why worry, our car industry was decimated in the 1970 by incompetent management and garbage cars since then we have been kidding ourselves and continue to do so that we actually make cars, we do not we have an assembly industry, the Chinese bought a brand, MG that does not mean they make MG cars, the just make A car with an MG badge on it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 22:32   #26
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Just had a look on their website and it looks like the MG6 (the model I'd most liked to have owned) has been axed and replaced by that IMO hideous 'soft-roader'. And at £15K!? No thanks, I can buy a diesel 4x4 Duster for that kind of money and have more confidence that the manufacturer will still be around in five years. Same story for the MG3 - if it was £7K the same as the mid range NA Sandero then it'd be a much tougher choice between them, but not when the base model is already £1500 more than Dacia's mid-spec one.
Old 24th September 2016, 22:52   #27
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Think I've seen one since I moved to Cornwall 14 months ago.

If it compares favourably with the alternatives, and dealer support isn't too far away, then buy one. Otherwise why bother? Just because they stuck on the MG badges (or whatever they did) at Longbridge? If you want to support British car workers then buy a Nissan, Honda or Toyota built here (and it won't break down and they won't be going bust any time soon).
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 22:54   #28
dln6376
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Plenty MG3 around here but not many MG6. Only seen the MG GS as part of a launch event in Warwickshire and at the showroom in London.

Too few dealers and almost non existent advertising seem to be the biggest problems.

2002, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 CDT, Automatic, White Gold

2002, MG ZT, Sports Auto 180+, 2.5 V6, Automatic, Le Mans Green

2002, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 V6 Automatic, British Racing Green

2003, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 CDT, Manual, Starlight Silver
dln6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 16:01   #29
basil
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default New MG's

I've got a New MG GS,along with my friend.Both AUTO's.SUPERB.Purchased them from Brown & Gammons,Baldock.Superb Service.There's loads of MG3 and some 6's around here.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 17:09   #30
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Interesting comments and some good reading...
Reminds me when back in the day(60s-70s) a pal of mine bought a Honda S800 coupe and then one or two Datsun 100A's turned up..
What a load of rubbish "realy poor build quality" and "they'll never be a threat to the British motor industry" were the usual comments...
Without doubt the Chinese will get there, whether it is in the guise of MG and if I'll still be around to see it only time will tell.
I think that they (the Chinese) are very serious about getting a foothold in the European market, I know that they are working on the development of a hybrid power unit at Longbridge.
Cheers Ian