Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2023, 13:33   #1
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 1.8 not cranking...

Just nipped to ASDA, car started normally at home, no strange noises then or during the journey (1.5 miles). Got back in car after shopping 10 minutes later... And nothing! Ipk lights up OK position2, but turn to position3 and not cranking, no solenoid noise/starter noise... Checked fuses in engine bay all OK... Relay R4 feels warmer than others, but not excessively so, so I swapped R2 & R4 same type - no difference!!

Any ideas before I bother the AA? 🤔

Sent from my Note_7P using Tapatalk

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2023, 14:30   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Try removing the spade connector on the starter, give both male and female a clean up, or push on and remove a few times to make sure there is contact. Known problem that's caught out a few.

Lee.
Old 12th June 2023, 14:41   #3
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Try removing the spade connector on the starter, give both male and female a clean up, or push on and remove a few times to make sure there is contact. Known problem that's caught out a few.

Lee.
Thanks Lee T., tried that, it does look manky green on connector, but removed/refitted it - no difference. Waiting for AA man, his sandpaper and contact cleaner now... 🙂 Kev

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Old 12th June 2023, 15:15   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Ask them to freeze spray the crank sensor - when you try start does the Rev Counter remain still - if so that points to a failed crank sensor. Hot running and very hot ambient temps can cause them to shut down if they on their way out.

Also on later petrol cars there is condition called Fuel filter separation where there is insufficient juice for the ECU to allow a start. The fix - known as the fabled orange clip or FOC is a 10 quid fix - saying that the after market clips are black or white.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2023, 15:27   #5
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Ask them to freeze spray the crank sensor - when you try start does the Rev Counter remain still - if so that points to a failed crank sensor. Hot running and very hot ambient temps can cause them to shut down if they on their way out.

Also on later petrol cars there is condition called Fuel filter separation where there is insufficient juice for the ECU to allow a start. The fix - known as the fabled orange clip or FOC is a 10 quid fix - saying that the after market clips are black or white.
Crank sensor would not prevent cranking, only failure to start or suddenly stop running. Rev counter will stay still as engine isn't cranking. Could possibly be failed contacts in the starter itself, there is a recon kit available for that along with an excellent how to by Arctic. Worth giving the starter a thump with a wooden hammer handle or similar as they can stick. Also the OP's car is an early model so he is safe from FFS.

Lee.

Last edited by Lee T; 12th June 2023 at 15:29..
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2023, 16:02   #6
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post

Lee.
AA man has tested connector to solenoid, no voltage on startup, so either broken wire or immobiliser problem... 😕

Old 12th June 2023, 17:55   #7
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Update: well, after a wait, and almost 2hrs diagnostics, where no stone was left unturned... Fuel pump relay, inertia switch, starter circuits, both fuse boxes, obd codes, Immobiliser... All checked OK... So the AA man towed me home, and we did the `paperwork'... As an afterthought he asked if I had a spare key, I did (thanks BigRuss)... Tried it and Lagetha burst into life!!! After starting/stopping the car I tried my other key, and that worked fine too...

Conclusion: ignition switch fault NO, key fault YES, immobiliser/transponder fault MAYBE Transponder in key...

Fix: always have a working spare key on me or in the car!

Later I retried it - spare key works no problem (yet) - but original key, that I have used for over a year without incidence, does not!

Thanks to all for suggestions/thoughts.

Last edited by Lagetha; 13th June 2023 at 02:24.. Reason: Correction
Old 13th June 2023, 08:10   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Kevin,

What is the history of your two keys please? Are they both factory issued and completely original? Have you had any key programming done including replacement transponders?

Simon
Old 13th June 2023, 09:09   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Kevin.
Surely it must be related to your previous thread back in May 29th link below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=324284

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2023, 10:09   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Please disregard this post. It's been pointed out later in this thread that I am confusing two members with user names beginning with the same letter and both having key problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Surely it must be related to your previous thread back in May 29th link below.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=324284

John,

The problem seems to me to lie with the "chips" (i.e. transponders) which the AA supplied as you described in your earlier thread which Arctic has found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
The AA man cut me a new key and chip ... My original second key had stopped working so he put a new chip in and it worked.
You then took that original second key, removed the AA supplied transponder and fitted an original factory transponder from your third key with broken buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
I recalled I had an old key with broken buttons and put this chip into the spare and the car started. I will now use the spare key for my main key.
Your story is not easy to follow but it seems likely that the key which now does not start the car is the remaining key with an AA supplied transponder.
I'd say that you need to take all your keys with the car to Jamie Welch or Russ who should be able to sort it out.

Just don't let the AA near any of your keys again!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 14th June 2023 at 07:35.. Reason: Apology
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote