Notices

Old 31st August 2016, 15:37   #1
Robespierre
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Losing Colour on Leather Seats

Hi,

My leather seats are losing their colour ( beige) and looking worn on the seat
part. I understand the previous owner sprayed the seats but the colour is wearing off. Any suggestions, please.

Denis
Robespierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 18:26   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericleese View Post
Hi,

My leather seats are losing their colour ( beige) and looking worn on the seat
part. I understand the previous owner sprayed the seats but the colour is wearing off. Any suggestions, please.

Denis
good condition used swabs are probably cheaper and definately more durable than a colour spray....
Old 6th September 2016, 20:58   #3
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

The colour which is a pigment (posh word for leather paint) simply wears off and can simply be put back. BTW, it is not a dye.

I have an advantage because I restore leather colour as part of my business - but I do not do cars, and have no intention of doing them. Just wanted to make that clear to the Admins that I am not interested in gaining any work off of here whatsoever.

First of all you need to get a sample of the leather - I got mine from inbetween the seat and back cushion with the back seat fully extended down as far as it can go. Then get it sent off to a leather supplier (I use http://www.buffaloleather.co.uk/ - I have no links to them or anything like that). They analyse the sample and then send you back the liquid pigment as a 100% match. And it HAS to be 100%. At the same time you could order an aerosol spray lacquer in your choice of finish (matt, satin, gloss). This solvent based lacquer really seals it all in and is very durable. I personally like to also use aPU water based finish (matt) on top of that to give a true matt finish and nice feel.

To do it you need to clean the leather with strong leather cleaner with either a brush to get in to the grain or a magic sponge (BTW a magic sponge should never be used to just clean leather). Once all the dirt has been removed, then wipe over quickly with isopropyl alcohol (off ebay) using a big wad of tissue paper/kitchen towel. You don't need much.

This sterilises the leather and will make adhesion even better. Then using micro rollers and a small paint tray, roll on to the leather - not too much, in an even coverage. Then either leave to dry naturally or use a hair dryer.

Once completed use the lacquer of your choice and put on 2 coats. Again, dry as usual.

Now I know this might all sound complicated but if your good with your eyes and hands, an excellent finish can be achieved.

The old chap that had my 75 was poorly and he used the steering wheel to lever himself in and out, and so wore the leather colour down.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (129.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3275.jpg (125.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.jpg (130.3 KB, 178 views)

Done:
New leather & walnut steering wheel, headlight restore, new badges to rear & engine, walnut facia trims, full size spare wheel, timing belts, Plenum spy hole, DD head unit.

• This vehicle was the 67,855th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
• This vehicle was the 2,457th 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671

Last edited by KevF6; 9th September 2016 at 20:27..
KevF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 11:38   #4
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I've been thinking for a while that the black leather interior on my contemporary SE is, well, a bit black, what with the black interior plastics it's just generally a bit like a cave in this dull weather.

The seats are in good condition and it has occurred to me that a lighter hue, say a nice tan colour similar to an Alfa might be just the ticket.

Thing is, I'm not that brave to go out and potentially ruin a good set of seats. Has anyone attempted this? Interested to hear of results either good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote