Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2016, 13:49   #11
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

If you wish to travel light and cover most focal lengths just take the 18-200.

The 18 - 55 is smaller but obviously does not cover the longer focal lengths.

I am not familiar with those lenses so cannot say if the 18-55 is better than the 18-200 through the 18 - 55 focal lengths, which is really the only reason you may want to take both.

You will find with all zooms that they are sharper/better a certain focal lengths. One zoom (not yours) may be quite good at 200mm and quite poor at 70mm.

Edit: Are they both stabilized (or not) - this may affect your decision
Also the 18-55 may have a larger aperture (or not) - this may affect your decision

Edit2 When I need to shoot wider and do not have the correct lens I just shoot more than one shot and stitch them together in post using pc and software.

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 28th December 2016 at 14:03..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 19:02   #12
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hi,
Thanks for the information.

When you say aperture, what do you mean? Is this the diameter of the forward most lens? If it is, then the 18-200 lens is the widest at 62mm.

I went to my friendly(?) local camera shop today, where I bought my lens to get the appropriate cleaning kit for the filter I bought from currys.
It was a different guy to that I saw last time.
He sold me a cleaning kit and said I could clean it in his shop and fit it.
Well, I couldn't clean it for want of trying. He sold me one of his, (same brand)
His was just as filthy. He "cleaned" it, it was filthy with dust all over it which I pointed out. He said he couldn't see it and I was so embarrassed I thought it easier to agree and left.
I persevered with cleaning and managed to get it as clean as I can, but it has a defect at one edge that I just can't clean off. I think that this defect is outside of the lens focal view though so shouldn't cause an issue, I don't think.

I might drop an email to the manufacturer as that is three now that I have handled and they have all been filthy out of the box, which I do not think is acceptable.
Old 28th December 2016, 19:19   #13
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Hi,

When you say aperture, what do you mean? Is this the diameter of the forward most lens? If it is, then the 18-200 lens is the widest at 62mm.

I went to my friendly(?) local camera shop today, where I bought my lens to get the appropriate cleaning kit for the filter I bought from currys.
Well, I couldn't clean it for want of trying. He sold me one of his, (same brand)
His was just as filthy. He "cleaned" it, it was filthy with dust all over it which I pointed out. He said he couldn't see it and I was so embarrassed I thought it easier to agree and left.
I persevered with cleaning and managed to get it as clean as I can, but it has a defect at one edge that I just can't clean off. I think that this defect is outside of the lens focal view though so shouldn't cause an issue, I don't think.

I might drop an email to the manufacturer as that is three now that I have handled and they have all been filthy out of the box, which I do not think is acceptable.

By aperture I was meaning the F number(s) on the lens which is a guide as to how much light the lens will let in. This is a ratio of the lens dia and the focal length of the lens

Without getting all technical - A lens with a lower F number will let in more light and could be of more use in dimly lit conditions. (T stop is a truer guide but lets not go there)

So lenses with a lower F number will be better at shooting in low light (if set to their widest aperture) and can produce a more pleasing blur to the background.

See Wiki for a long explanation and you can see why I tried to be brief https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture

The 62mm you read is most likely the dia of the thread to take filters.

My advice is to just take the 18-200 and concentrate on using the camera. Learn to use all the settings on the camera and understand how and when to adjust things, don't worry too much about lens choice at this stage. The 18-200 will cover most eventualities.

My advice for someone going away and wishing to take pics as memories of the trip would be either

1/ Learn all about the camera and photography first (I think a few months minimum)
2/Use the camera mainly on auto if you get to the destination and are unsure of how to set the camera.
3When you have done the trip learn to use the settings on the camera at your leisure on images that do not matter.
4/If you get the bug - buy more lenses and gear

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 28th December 2016 at 19:52..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 20:17   #14
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
Thank you guys.
I will take on board what you have said, maybe I don't need to bother with a wide angle lens after all.

Can I ask, what can my Canon kit lens 18-55 do, that my Tamron 18-200 cannot?
I just cannot see any reason to carry it around with me.

Very little. If you want to travel light, just take the 18-200 which is a great all round lens. This is what I use mostly. 18-200 is a great range. If you're going to get proper into photography, then a wider angle lens is worth considering later on down the field but I really wouldn't worry about it just yet.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 20:33   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

That is strange. What is the dirt, how does it look? You should use a blower initially to shift the loose dust, then use a lens tissue or lens cloth to wipe gently with a little fluid. Filters and lenses have coatings on them, that can look 'smearey' when wiped, almost oily. I am likely wrong on this, but do you wear glasses? If you do, is there any possibility that as you focus with your eyes, any marks on your glasses is being partially focused by your eye? It is strange that the chap in the shop couldnt see it, and it was on 3 filters.

Just and addition to what the others have said about the two lenses. I would recommend using the 18-55mm for family gatherings etc, places where you wont need the distance, but speed of focus may be a factor. It will focus quicker especially in low light. The 18-200mm lenses may hunt through the full range before it locks. For landscapes etc with those particular lenses, you wont notice a great deal of difference between the two in quality, but the 18-200 will be more versatile.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 15:05   #16
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I hope you all had a good Christmas.

I am hoping to get some advice... I am completely out of my depth and have no idea what I am doing!
I am going on a once in a lifetime holiday in February.
Because of this, I have decided to buy a camera to capture as much of it as possible.
Prior to this, I have always used my phone but decided that for this trip, I need something better.
I have bought a Canon 700d and since then bought a Tamron zoom lens which I am very happy with.

I am starting to wonder if I should consider a wide angle lens as well, to capture landscapes and architecture.

As I have already blown my budget on the camera and the tamron lens, I don't want to go too mad on a wide angle lens.
Can anyone recommend a budget wide angle lens?
How time has moved on Phil since you bought the camera and some more lenses.
Your skills in macro in something I can only marvel at. After macro, what next?

I have spent the morning watching YouTube tutorials on how to setup a camera I recently bought, an Olympus OMD E-M1. I find the camera technically challenging, but for the budget, I managed to fit in a 14-150mm and a 75-300mm lens.
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m1.html
I went for the camera and its lenses, because of the weather sealing, its mirrorless, not so heavy and not so big. For East Africa, the enemy is dust and humidity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiITExBqwo
I wonder if anyone else in the OC has an Oly?
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 19:54   #17
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
How time has moved on Phil since you bought the camera and some more lenses.
Your skills in macro in something I can only marvel at. After macro, what next?

I have spent the morning watching YouTube tutorials on how to setup a camera I recently bought, an Olympus OMD E-M1. I find the camera technically challenging, but for the budget, I managed to fit in a 14-150mm and a 75-300mm lens.
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m1.html
I went for the camera and its lenses, because of the weather sealing, its mirrorless, not so heavy and not so big. For East Africa, the enemy is dust and humidity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiITExBqwo
I wonder if anyone else in the OC has an Oly?
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your kind comments!
I'm not anywhere near your skill level with photography!! The images you have taken are on a completely different level!
I'm happy with my progress on macro, but want to improve really. Especially on the smaller bugs where I'm not getting the results I'd like.
I think next will be a nice wide angle prime lens, so I can do landscape, architecture and dog portrait pictures.

I was going to buy an Olympus similar to that one last year!
The reason I didn't was I was told lenses were harder to find than that of Nikon and Canon. At the time, I was a complete novice and took the advice as gospel.
I was going to then get a Nikon, but it was out of stock so went for the Canon, because I was too impatient to wait.
All that said, I have played with Nikon and Olympus since and I have to say, the Canon is very easy to use. I couldn't get my head around either Nikon or Olympus. Canon is so easy to use.

Congratulations on the new camera. Absolutely beautiful bit of kit. I can't wait to see your pictures!
Are you on Flickr?

Last edited by Phil; 10th September 2017 at 19:58..
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 20:48   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your kind comments!
I'm not anywhere near your skill level with photography!! The images you have taken are on a completely different level!
I'm happy with my progress on macro, but want to improve really. Especially on the smaller bugs where I'm not getting the results I'd like.
I think next will be a nice wide angle prime lens, so I can do landscape, architecture and dog portrait pictures.

I was going to buy an Olympus similar to that one last year!
The reason I didn't was I was told lenses were harder to find than that of Nikon and Canon. At the time, I was a complete novice and took the advice as gospel.
I was going to then get a Nikon, but it was out of stock so went for the Canon, because I was too impatient to wait.
All that said, I have played with Nikon and Olympus since and I have to say, the Canon is very easy to use. I couldn't get my head around either Nikon or Olympus. Canon is so easy to use.

Congratulations on the new camera. Absolutely beautiful bit of kit. I can't wait to see your pictures!
Are you on Flickr?
I reciprocate your good wishes, thank you very much Phil. All valid points about Olympus and Nikon. I find the Oly is complexed and its going to take me for ages to understand its tech. Nikon in mirrorless have fallen behind the competition. Nikonites seem to be waiting for ages for Nikon to announce a new concept for their mirrorless models. They need something new to steal the limelight away from Sony. In DSLR, Canon are the leaders. You did well to settle with them Phil for your final choice.

With Flickr, I had to start off from scratch recently. I only have 2 followers https://flic.kr/ps/2W9979
Old 12th September 2017, 21:54   #19
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I reciprocate your good wishes, thank you very much Phil. All valid points about Olympus and Nikon. I find the Oly is complexed and its going to take me for ages to understand its tech. Nikon in mirrorless have fallen behind the competition. Nikonites seem to be waiting for ages for Nikon to announce a new concept for their mirrorless models. They need something new to steal the limelight away from Sony. In DSLR, Canon are the leaders. You did well to settle with them Phil for your final choice.

With Flickr, I had to start off from scratch recently. I only have 2 followers https://flic.kr/ps/2W9979
Hi Phil,
I don't really know anything about mirror less cameras, but I can't wait to hear and see how you get on with yours.

I've just looked at your Flickr profile. Some great pictures there.
You seem to have three followers now.
Old 12th September 2017, 21:58   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Hi Phil,
I don't really know anything about mirror less cameras, but I can't wait to hear and see how you get on with yours.

I've just looked at your Flickr profile. Some great pictures there.
You seem to have three followers now.
Thank you Phil for putting a smile on my face I can now log out happy from the day