Notices

Old 24th November 2016, 21:55   #21
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I run Windows 7 pro edition and its fine. I have no intention of upgrading to 8 or 10 as I cannot see what advantages it offers apart from a horrible new GUI and that I will lose control. Some berk installed it on 2 PC's at work and it has rendered printers unuseable and all sorts of other rubbish. Its free for a reason because it NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.

Yeah you're right it was free for a reason, I think I'd be really miffed if I'd paid money for it. Between MS.Google & the new investigatory bill coming into power shortly. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7436251.html it's going to get harder to keep your privacy intact on the web, better get your VPN's set up.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 17:50   #22
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Having had 'fun' with everything from Windows 95 to Windows 10 and many flavours of UNIX, Linux and Solaris. In the Windows world the best since XP is Windows 7. While there may possibly be some small performance benefits with Windows 10 it just isn't worth the aggravation and constant re-checking of all the security and privacy settings after every update (which appear to constantly turn insecure settings back on - tell MS everything by default).
I too have been 'computing' a long time. My first computer(?) was an Oric 1 (research) and 98 SE was a good, stable OS on my first proper PC but long gone now of course. I too found Windows 7 to be more than adequate for my needs but my 7 computer died a death last year, so I almost broke myself buying a new PC a few months ago, with, of course W10 installed (no option these days it would appear). What a nightmare it is - W10 that is, not the computer! If there is anybody out there who is prepared, for a fee of course, to remove this awful OS and install W7, I would be forever grateful. I might even be prepared to swap my nearly new HP Pavillion PC for a decent spec PC with W7 installed.

Chad.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.

Last edited by Grumpy1; 8th January 2017 at 13:01..
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 03:57   #23
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Recently upgraded to 10 and although not generally advertised by MS it was still possible to do so only a few days ago from my version of 7 using the "assistive technologies" route - which I used legitimately but there were no checks. First impressions, GUI is a bit on the square and blocky side in comparison to 7, Vista and XP but it is early days and it might grow on me. Speed is now good again and a great improvement on what I had previously experienced for some time with a failing Vista os, booting and shut-down times in particular are a much welcome improvement.

I used 7 briefly before upgrading to 10 after being a long-term Vista user, and while 7 was tempting I felt that the future rests with 10 and that it would merely be putting off the inevitable. The only glitch after upgrading is a red light now shining out of the headphone socket, started with 7 actually and I believe that it might be an optical sound signal. Possibly a driver issue and if so not sure if it will be fixable, disabling the sound card switches the light off but that kills all sound too.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 11:18   #24
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
I too have been 'computing' a long time. My first computer(?) was an Oric 1 (research) and 98 SE was a good, stable OS on my first proper PC but long gone now of course. I too found Windows 7 to be more than adequate for my needs but my 7 computer died a death last year, so I almost broke myself buying a new PC a few months ago, with, of course W10 installed (no option these days it would appear). What a nightmare it is - W10 that is, not the computer! If there is anybody out there who is prepared, for a fee of course, to remove this awful OS and install W7, I would be forever grateful. I might even be prepared to swap my nearly new HP Pavillion PC for a decent spec PC with W7 installed.

Chad.
C:\> FORMAT C: /FS:ext4 /V:RHEL /Passes:4 ;D

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 18:22   #25
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The only glitch after upgrading is a red light now shining out of the headphone socket, started with 7 actually and I believe that it might be an optical sound signal. Possibly a driver issue and if so not sure if it will be fixable, disabling the sound card switches the light off but that kills all sound too.
Now sorted. Further investigation identified it as a driver issue, or to be precise a problem with the generic driver as installed by MS. I've now replaced it with a driver from the maker of my sound card (Realtek) and all is well again, in fact the sound is so much better.

As someone has asked me off forum: Yes my upgrade to 10 was free.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote