Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2017, 08:00   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Caution about S/H tyres

Just highlighting an article in order to bring the matter to members' attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38691767
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 08:08   #2
JoeMc
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 / BMW E60 M5

Personally I think this is aimed at the general population that aren't necessarily car enthusiasts etc... But people that just get in their cars and 'go'...

I personally wouldn't use budget tyres 'to fit a monetary budget'... Cheapmtyres are cheap for a reason and generally cack to use!

I'd rather spend money, if/where necessary, on decent part worn tyres that are of a decent brand/spec etc...

However, I only do 2-4K miles a year, max, so part worns can last me the lifespan of my car ownership!

This is a tin of worms topic, I know that, everyone will have their own opinion... Bur I think the BBC story isn't written very well... It's just slamming this issue from the off without offering other alternatives!
JoeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 08:22   #3
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

I personally don't get part worn tyres; tyres and brakes are the most important safety elements; would anyone buy second hand part worn brake linings etc?

Each to their own though!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 08:27   #4
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Every time you buy a used car your getting part worn tyres.
Old 21st January 2017, 08:29   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A lot of part worn tyres come in from Germany especially in the Autumn when they are having there winter tyres fitted and they are not worth refitting.

The other big source is from cars being written off in the UK, fine if it was because of a mechanical fault but would you be happy fitting tyres from a car that has had a bad smash or even caught fire?

Used tyres should be examined with care and if you are not 100% happy with them once you have examined them don't buy them, remember those four small contact areas are all that is keeping you from going into the ditch.

As far as budget tyres go use the adage my father used to use, ''if you have not heard of them before probably best to avoid''. You don't see any manufacturers fitting Aoteli's or Yanyongs and there is probably a reason for that.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 08:33   #6
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Great post OP.

It's not just second hand tyres that we need to be careful of though - tyres degrade over time so some sold as brand new top brand tyres are actually lethal.

Anybody buying a tyre should check the date on the one that's fitted - a tyre supplier near me sold someone four eight year old tyres which were ''new'' but were already dangerous.

How to check the age of your tyre

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 10:31   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
That is a good point. Tyres should be considered and replacement planned in the same manner as cambelts etc. when purchaning a used car.

I always replace all four or five tyres on any car that I buy either straight away or, if they are in good condition and a quality make, the first time that a reason arises for repair or replacement of even one tyre e.g a puncture.

As a result, all my cars have the same make of tyre all around, purchased by myself so I can be confident in their history.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 10:36   #8
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
True you do, except I had all new ones fitted as the side walls were cracked and there were different tyres on the same axle which you don't do.

I have used part worn tyres back when times were really hard.

So I can understand why people buy them, may not be the safest but that does depend on where you buy them from.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 10:40   #9
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I read the other day that in many countries it's illegal to sell second hand tyres.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 11:04   #10
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Never buy second hand tyres i know it may be tempting due to funds but cars sit on four small bits of rubber and thats what keeps us on the road so good condition quality rubber is a must.

Although i do know some that have had to buy seconds and never had a problem so i guess may be down to who is running the company.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote