Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2018, 15:07   #1
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Default 2.0 V6 Performance?

Hi Guys

Collected my 98 2.0 V6 Conn Auto yesterday and it sailed the 155 miles home without a hitch.....quiet, smooth and so comfortable

My only concern is its dog slow.... pushing the throttle when moving did hardly nothing unless I floored it when it changed down 3 gears and then made lots of noise but still didn't so a fat.

Having had a diesel auto with a remap the difference is huge

Its VERY overdue a service but the engine is sweet as but I wonder if the VIS motors are at fault or are they just a bit "pedestrian"
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:09   #2
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspencer View Post
Hi Guys

Collected my 98 2.0 V6 Conn Auto yesterday and it sailed the 155 miles home without a hitch.....quiet, smooth and so comfortable

My only concern is its dog slow.... pushing the throttle when moving did hardly nothing unless I floored it when it changed down 3 gears and then made lots of noise but still didn't so a fat.

Having had a diesel auto with a remap the difference is huge

Its VERY overdue a service but the engine is sweet as but I wonder if the VIS motors are at fault or are they just a bit "pedestrian"
When I had one albeit 15 miles it was noticeably slower than a 2.5v6. Also when test driving one that also seemed the same. They are lovely smooth vehicles but not fast by any means
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:29   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Ultra smooth but pedestrian. No more economic than the 2.5 either in my experience.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:34   #4
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Ok guys

Ill learn to wear my heavy boots when I drive it!
Old 11th January 2018, 15:45   #5
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

Default rubbish

Haveing owned both 2.5 and 2.0 v6.s plus a 18turbo all autos yes the 2.0 v6 as less torque than the others especially the 18 turbo but if vis/power valves are working right my 2.0 v6 goes very well. And a lot quicker than the one diesel i have driven that to was a auto. Pulling away out of side roads on to a busy main was frightening. Ok once you got it up to speed. but get up and go was well nonexistent. So check vis/power valves' and use the revs and stop driving it like a smelly scary diesel

Last edited by gary t; 11th January 2018 at 15:49..
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 16:04   #6
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

My diesel pulls like a train to be honest, even from a standing start.

Will check the VIS motors.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:17   #7
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

Default yes

yes but yours was remapped ? just use the revs thats what it likes

Last edited by gary t; 11th January 2018 at 16:19..
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 20:39   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

We ran both a diesel and 2.5 V6 Connoisseur’s. To be honest I found the diesel would always be quicker off the mark, especially when cold but the V6 is silky smooth.

I seldom give my V6 the welly so to speak but if floored it can give sufficient power to do the job.

Treat it with respect and enjoy it after all it’s not a sports car but a luxury saloon.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 04:24   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Tim

Congratulations on rescuing a very early S reg and all the very best with its restoration. Rover Rabett is an authority on these cars. Do an archive search and you will find all of his research along with other members comments, he is also on Facebook. It’s possible that you could find what you are looking for. The other thing to do is to get your car booked in with one of the forum gurus for a T4 session.

You asked about it’s performance. My money on lack of acceleration is faulty VIS motors. Drop Stocktake a pm and ask if he can do an exchange unit for you.

I had a problem a few years ago driving over the Brecons as the car struggled to make it to the top, so double backed and called into see Jules. He ran a diagnostics and faulty VIS motors came up. Fortunately he had a new unused unit. What a difference that made, with all the welly that was suddenly available.

I am not saying anymore about giving plenty of welly in Wales

For economy the 2.0 V6 is a poor performer if your looking to hammer the engine On the motorway on a long run, the best I have had is 42 mpg with cruise at 55 - 60. Oh mine will easily do 70-80 mph if it’s needed, the oomph is there and what a beautiful sound it makes. I am more than happy to do my best driving, more sedately - London driver

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 12th January 2018 at 04:27..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 17:42   #10
LeeW

Rover 75 2.0 V6 CLUB SE

There have been a couple of threads on recently bemoaning the performance of the 2.0 V6. I haven’t found that at all, although mine is manual. It is the least powerful car I have had for some years but always feels it has plenty of power in a smooth refined way. Granted it is no hot hatch beater but were 75’s ever meant to be?

In response to OP’s comment on auto, our main family car for last few years have been 2.0 diesels from VW stable. Our previous car was VW Tiguan 140 bhp manual. We changed this last year to Seat Alhambra 150 bhp DSG. I appreciate the Seat is bigger but extra 10 bhp should mitigate some of the weight. The main difference must be auto box and the difference is significant. Big pause from rest and then really have to give it some pedal to keep it going.
LeeW is offline   Reply With Quote