Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2012, 19:11   #1
john91919
Loves to post

rover 75 CDTI tourer

Default Exhaust question

Hi,

My exhaust has a hole just above the 2 pipes on the very end and it is an MOT fail (due in 2 weeks).

I was told by the local tyre centre that a back box was £140 all in.

I have also contacted longlife exhausts and they would do a back box for £159 so I have booked a back box fitting for next Saturday.

I went down for a exhaust check (ATS) and they told me that it was the original exhaust on the car and they would need to replace most of it (cat-back I think) and it would cost £300.

Will longlife be able to cut the exhaust and fit just the back box or is cat-back my only option?

Longlife are £309 for cat-back so I will be going with them anyway.

Longlife are only a few pound more than kwik-fit/ATS so with a lifetime guarantee it is well worth it.

Cheers
John

Mods so far
Smiley number plate,
L.E.D. internal lighting

Pending Mods
EGR Valve.
160 remap.
L.E.D. sidelights.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
john91919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:14   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

All back boxes are cut to replace,but,i have a longlife on mine & at least once it's on,forget it. The back box option is good enough though IMO
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:28   #3
IanDCW
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE Saloon 2.0 V6 2002

I had back box only replaced 4 years ago, and it has passed MOT every year since. I don't think you need to replace the whole exhaust system
IanDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:29   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDCW View Post
I had back box only replaced 4 years ago, and it has passed MOT every year since. I don't think you need to replace the whole exhaust system
No,just cut the back box section off & renew with one of your choice
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:44   #5
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Here is a quote from an email enquiry I received the other day regarding a stainless steel exhaust

Thank you for your enquiry about our services. This is Jay from MIJ Performance, Walsall.**

Based on your initial enquiry I am pleased to provide the following quotation to you:-

The stainless steel cat-back exhaust system (middle & rear sections) you've requested for your*Rover 75 *will cost £295.00.*

This is fully**inclusive of fuel discount (£25), VAT & fitting. I have included a round*twin tailpipe in the quotation.***
Should you wish you can choose an alternative or upgrade (various twin*tailpipes etc.) from our extensive range of over 40 tailpipes.
We carry all the necessary parts needed to build your exhaust system in stock, and as a guide it should take no longer than*

2 - 3*hrs to build & fit the system to your vehicle.**

If you choose to wait with your car, we have a customer lounge with refreshments, SKY TV/DVD as well as internet access.

We are also only a few minutes walk from the city centre should you decide to go shopping etc. whilst we work on your car.

The benefit of having a custom-built exhaust system is that you can tell us how you would like the new exhaust to sound.*

Your exhaust can be fabricated to sound from quiet to full sport. Our most popular choice is a mid sport setup, this gives the

best of both worlds, non-intrusive but achieves the sporty sound you want from your car upon applying the throttle.
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:57   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john91919 View Post
My exhaust has a hole just above the 2 pipes on the very end and it is an MOT fail (due in 2 weeks).
It's a fail if it's blowing exhaust out of the hole, but if it's just the outer skin that's rotted and the inner skin is sound, the it will pass MOT.

If it does need a new back box, then consider whether you wish to retain the original noise suppression or if an audible exhaust is acceptable. The standard long life s.s. systems do not have the same suppression as the OEM parts. I believe this also applies to most lower cost after market boxes.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:01   #7
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Well I know when Ed the Zed needs an exhaust, it'll definitely Neva stainless system!

Whilst we're talking about exhausts, has anyone fitted a "Sports Cat" and has it made any difference?
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:14   #8
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Try on-line automotive, back box comes with hangers replacing rear strap and fitted using original rubber rings, much cheaper than OEM, measure twice, cut long, then adjust length to final size. DIY fitting, not difficult at all, fitted one to my 1.8T Connie Tourer, no louder than original, fitted a treat. Can enter car reg to ensure correct one purchased, but as an example I give this one: http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Pr...egoryID=114090
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:31   #9
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

How big are the hole, if it is small(ish) just use some gun gum to seal the hole, you will probably get the best part of a extra year's service out of the backbox and providing it is not leaking then it will pass an MOT. Lots of people change backboxes just because they have one or two holes when their life can be extended for a couple £.

ebay link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOLTS-GUN-...item27c211dc2f

Does what it says on the tin.

Last edited by rover54; 23rd June 2012 at 20:37..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:55   #10
john91919
Loves to post

rover 75 CDTI tourer

To be honest, this car has cost me so much time and money (and it hasn't passed it MOT yet!), that a "fit and forget" exhaust for only a few quid more than an OEM sounds good to me!

Mods so far
Smiley number plate,
L.E.D. internal lighting

Pending Mods
EGR Valve.
160 remap.
L.E.D. sidelights.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
john91919 is offline   Reply With Quote