Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2011, 21:22   #11
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Hi Mark. Thats reassuring news. Did they let you keep the CAT so it could be put back on if the need ever arises?

I know I'm just being nervous/ cautious.

Cheers again.....Steve.
I did keep the cat, but weighed it in with the scrap man It has to be cut out so it couldn't just be easily replaced for the MOT.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 21:52   #12
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Good evening all.

I'd like to fit an EGR bypass but the one I was looking for, "superflow" from eBay seems to be unlisted now. I've seen some others but want to know if you can still put the engine cover on properly, which the super flow one stated you could...
So Id like to ask any of you that have fitted a bypass from whoever/wherever, if your engine cover fits same or not please.

Secondly a decat. My local garages so far have refused to undertake this job quoting the legalities etc. Even a friend of mine who runs his own tyre and exhaust shop has said no due to same! Have you any tips or know of anyone willing to do this kind of work in the Shrewsbury area please and possible cost these days.

Many thanks in advance. Steve.
EGR bypass should be smaller than the original EGR, so it will fit under fine. I've got one fitted without a problem.

Decat wise, took mine to a local custom exhaust fitter (A14 Exhausts). They cut my cat out & welded in a new section. I paid them £50, and took the old cat home (and got £35 for it from a scrapyard). Try looking for your local powerflow dealer.

Although it will pass the MOT without a cat, it's illegal to modify (not replace) an exhaust to create more noise, and I think the same also applies to pollution. Which might be where the problem arises. But I doubt you'd ever get pulled up for it.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:25   #13
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Thanks again guys for your advice. I've emailed a local Powerflow Centre in Telford and I'm going to call Phil at Unique exhausts in the morning.
Think I shall take a chance and go for it on payday.
Just don't tell SWMBO

Really am thankful guys.
ATB Steve.
Old 29th April 2011, 00:31   #14
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Well didn't have time yet to call Phil as work has been nuts but had an email back from my closest Powerflow centre......

Quote for 2 hours work, stainless fittings and flange with flexi pipe....

£150~ £180

I have mailed back asking if that's with a new back box

If that's the current price of things it's gonna have to wait until ...well probably never!!!

Pity. Regards Steve.
Old 29th April 2011, 07:23   #15
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

my advice would be not to do it . the bypass would make the cylinders really hot ,the egr is there for a good reason so the car needs it,the cat is also there for a reason ........ without the cat your creating piosonous gases ...without it will create pressure that will end up breaking the cat and back pressure ..

Last edited by chrissyboy; 29th April 2011 at 07:27..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 07:35   #16
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
my advice would be not to do it . the bypass would make the cylinders really hot ,the egr is there for a good reason so the car needs it,the cat is also there for a reason ........ without the cat your creating piosonous gases ...without it will create pressure that will end up breaking the cat and back pressure ..
Fair words Chrissyboy!

Tis cheaper too

Having said that and not discounting what you have said. Have any more units failed having had a bypass vs having a working EGR?

I'm not trying to justify anything just asking like as I don't know what how much % hotter the cylinders get with no CO2 to cool them off.

Regards. Steve.
Old 29th April 2011, 09:22   #17
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Having said that and not discounting what you have said. Have any more units failed having had a bypass vs having a working EGR?
No. The EGR does not cool the cylinder - if anything the hot exhaust gasses heat it up more!

You will not have problems removing your cat, you will not increase backpressure (...as you have less restriction).

£150 though is ott. Was that for a new flexi or literally just to cut the cat out?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:37   #18
chrissyboy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
No. The EGR does not cool the cylinder - if anything the hot exhaust gasses heat it up more!

You will not have problems removing your cat, you will not increase backpressure (...as you have less restriction).

£150 though is ott. Was that for a new flexi or literally just to cut the cat out?

what exactly does the egr do?
Old 29th April 2011, 12:45   #19
Spanky
Gets stuck in

Other (Ex ZT owner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy
my advice would be not to do it . the bypass would make the cylinders really hot ,the egr is there for a good reason ....
Not the EGR debate again!!

Its there for cars to pass the strict EU regs to leave the factory.

Yes, the EGR is used to lower combustion temps, but is done to reduce the amount of NOx the combustion generates (NOx forms when nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature), not to 'save' the engine.

Infact have a quick look on Renault forums to see the issues (and it occurs alot) that a stuck open EGR causes (ask GM owners how much they are charged for a new inlet manifold), they are for tree-huggers only.

I have done over 100K in various cars with the EGR removed/blanked etc and they run better, far better.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:54   #20
chrissyboy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Not the EGR debate again!!

Its there for cars to pass the strict EU regs to leave the factory.

Yes, the EGR is used to lower combustion temps, but is done to reduce the amount of NOx the combustion generates (NOx forms when nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature), not to 'save' the engine.

Infact have a quick look on Renault forums to see the issues (and it occurs alot) that a stuck open EGR causes (ask GM owners how much they are charged for a new inlet manifold), they are for tree-huggers only.

I have done over 100K in various cars with the EGR removed/blanked etc and they run better, far better.
no need to look anywhere .yes damage will result to the engine , fact .