Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2024, 19:33   #21
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Non starter.

Hi Simon/ all interested in this issue.
I have had Russell Walsh working on the '75 last week, coolant running through the engine building pressure which prevented the engine from turning over and firing up. Russell stripped out the heads etc which have now been skimmed etc ready for the rebuild. Russel returns tomorrow Wed 28th Feb to rebuild the engine etc. Hopefully nothing else proves to be an issue. Replacing all the obvious as we go sourced from the boys at DMGRS Southampton which once again have proved to be really helpful with advice and delivery etc. So come Wed/ Thurs we will hopefully be back on the road but although I am the eternal optimist I am always prepared for the next saga in any story !
I will keep you posted, cheers
Rick'
Sonestarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2024, 07:20   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonestarick View Post
... coolant running through the engine building pressure which prevented the engine from turning over ...
Do you mean head gasket failure Rick? On one or both heads?

I'm glad to hear that progress is being made. It sounds like Russell is a real star travelling all the way down from Sevenoaks.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 28th February 2024 at 07:24..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 15:10   #23
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Wink

Simon here we are again.
Looks like both gaskets had broken down at the outside edges on the front head but inspecting the rear head which showed possible suspect area so had both heads skimmed which are done now and replacing all the parts relevant under Russell's expert guidance. The usual- spark plugs, water pump, coils all gaskets etc. etc.
So Russel is back next Mon10th March to complete and hopefully all in order and good to go with any luck back on the road Tues/Wed next week.
Another exercise completed which will be good for some considerable time !
Then it is the usual - to maintain, brakes, suspension and general all round yearly checks ready for the spring and onwards. A lot of travelling to do to catch up with friends and family who like most of us especially over the winter season with the flue / Covid etc lurking around have curtailed travel respecting each others privacy and not wanting to pass on germs.
So I will update at the completion of the job.
And again thanks for interest and advice gladly received
Cheers
Richard.
Old 26th March 2024, 14:19   #24
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs up

Hi again Simon and interested parties,
OK on the road again for approx' I week, top end rebuilt, replaced all required parts etc etc and all looking good. A couple of long trips planned and various visits into surrounding counties so will be putting some miles on the clock within next few months and so looking forward to it. Russell (Walsh)/ MGRover Solutions doing the business and I am soaking up any advice given along the way.

So after some considerable time deciding which way to proceed ie, do I spend K10/15 plus ? to get a decent vehicle to replace the '75 and the level of comfort etc or spend on the '75 a vehicle I have known for 10 years and I am familiar with or do I spend on the '75 and bring it up to a level that I will be happy with in the knowledge that after sorting out brakes, suspension, steering rack and other mechanicals and any upgrades then attend to the body issues such as replacing all the sills etc etc then have the inside leather etc professionally taken care of then complete the exterior with a respray and detailing so then at that stage I should be content with a really good '75 at last which will see me out !
So thanks again Simon and all who have followed this exercise and enjoy the coming summer months which allow us all to get out and about and enjoy our cars after all what is life about ? Happy motoring-
Cheers Rick'
Old 27th March 2024, 07:49   #25
SD1too

Thanks for reporting back Rick. As you say you've known the car for ten years, how did both head gaskets become damaged?

I also see that you've just posted using a second user name (suffix -1). I believe that this is prohibited under club rules so I'd recommend that you contact a moderator to sort out whatever problem you are having with your original log-in name.

Simon
Old 27th March 2024, 20:34   #26
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

So what was the diagnosis then rick ? Did you have hydrolock ?, which prevented the engine turning over ? Caused by head gasket failure ... on both heads ?..or Have you driven through any deep water which caused this ... We had a member recently who experienced this lock up .. He had to renew the head in question , as it had a crack, which allowed coolant to fill the combustion chambers. The head could not be skimmed but only replaced. I hope all goes well for you ,but has the car overheated recently , or some other involvement with water ? Very rare that this issue has come about without some sort of an associated event. I hope all goes well for you if you do get the heads skimmed.... good luck ....
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2024, 20:21   #27
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Angry KV6 coolant in the V.

Well a long story looks as though may be nearing the end at last.
Hyrolock -yes. engine not turning over ended up having both heads skimmed, block appeared in order, replaced loads of parts relating to top end. engine started up again with no problem. Ran for a few days - approximately 50 miles then noticed wait for it -- coolant in the V. It was pressure tested which failed to produce any leaks ? Started again with the V dried out again and over approx' 300 miles shows sings of coolant in the V again but thank heavens no significant loss of coolant.Thought back to what Simon had impressed upon me after replacing the straight / curved pipes / "O" rings then to have the serrated clips fitted each end of the straight pipe mated up tight to the thermostat at one end and the water pump housing at the opposite end and pulled up tight , sadly it looks as though these clips were not fitted ! now I have a leak which manifests its self in the "V" again. Have to solve the matter though -
So other than that the car has not lost much coolant over the miles and all appears fine.
Will once again keep you posted.
Thanks again for all the interest and advice.
Cheers Rick'
Old 16th April 2024, 06:35   #28
SD1too

Default Proof that the clips cause leakage not the 'stat housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonestarick-1 View Post
Thought back to what Simon had impressed upon me after replacing the straight / curved pipes / "O" rings then to have the serrated clips fitted each end of the straight pipe mated up tight to the thermostat at one end and the water pump housing at the opposite end and pulled up tight , sadly it looks as though these clips were not fitted!
Thanks very much for posting details of what's happened Rick. Unhappily it's a real nuisance for you, but on the positive side it proves to anyone still in doubt that coolant leaks in the 'V' are not the result of a cracked thermostat seam.

Unfortunately you're going to have to get the plastic parts removed again in order to fit the serrated clips. I believe that Russell did the work for you so he obviously isn't aware of the necessity to fit these clips. If you let him know hopefully he will correct his mistake without further charge.

Thanks again for passing on your experience which will be valuable to all KV6 owners sooner or later.

Simon
Old 17th April 2024, 23:03   #29
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs up HGF. issue.

Hi Simon and all interested in the follow up.
I have discussed the point of the serrated clips with Russell and as he is making tracks to rectify the situation he is of the opinion that an "O" ring on the straight pipe is the culprit which he will replace. We will sort out the issue of these clips at the time. Other than that the engine appears fine and the slight coolant loss is not an issue as it is small in quantity although has to be sorted once and for all. I am happy with the work done overall without question and am sure all will be sorted satisfactorily in the end. Another interesting point has reared its head - I have an non functioning speed' and an ABS light come up on the dash' but as the front o/side wheel had been removed to allow work on the tray etc looks like the cabling could be needing attention or a replacement sensor which I will attend to along with some other front end work to be done now. Involved with the plenums at present replacing some filters etc so it is all go with the usual maintenance issues. 3 weeks time car is going in for some paint touch up -scuffs blemishes etc and if all goes well detailing to finish with.
So in a moth or so all will be well heading into summer months.
Cheers for now and again thanks for the interest.
Old 19th April 2024, 23:29   #30
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default HGF issue.

Hi again all interested in this saga.
After posting that the engine top end rebuild was all in order except that there was evidence of slight coolant leak in the V which will be sorted shortly by Russell. I now have an oil leak which appears to be from the gearbox and not the engine but will not know for certain until Monday at the earliest when I just might be able to have my local garage get the car up on the ramp and look at the issue and assuming it is the gearbox give me a date for the fix as it is a gearbox issue and not a KV6 engine issue which would require such as Russell Walsh to sort it.
I may have to consider replacing the auto box but we will see.
Strangely I am now accepting that these things happen and am just eager to get all this work out of the way. Once again "eternal optimist" kicks in to play.
So sourcing the auto box is my weekend task.
Cheers Rick'