Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th May 2017, 14:58   #1
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Default Dull question

My car currently has a Kenwood BT700DAB fitted and the front drivers door speaker is popping and crackling so I've decided to change the speakers.

The car is a Connie MK1 PPD, so has the front tweeters too, so I bought a set of Edge ED306-E2 Components. They come with tweeters and crossover boxes with spade connectors etc all included. The tweeters are too big for the car, so I'm not too bothered about adding them (unless there is a space in the speaker mount to pop them in).

So onto the dull question. If I'm not adding the tweeters, do I need the extra crossover boxes? Should I just mount the speakers using the wire with spades spliced into the existing wires? Is there anything I need to do regarding the existing tweeters? I have 2 spare tweeters to mount into the rears at some point later, but that's another issue.

Currently the sound is coming out of all speakers and tweeters properly, the unit I think is in a default 2way/crossover phase (as that flashes up when it powers up).

PS, anyone want to come and take my door cards off? I'm a heavy handed so-and-so, so I'm worried I'll bend them, new clips on the way too just in case

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 09:30   #2
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

I got to one door last night as the weather was good enough for a couple of hours once I got home. In answer to my own question, door cards came off well, only one clip broken so far, old speaker carrier out, removed old speaker (passenger side first, doing it slow time).

Problem one, old speakers fixed in place with 3 brackets coming off the speakers, new speaker standard circular! Easy fix with some self tappers and a dremel to create a hole.

Problem two, after much mucking about with wires, scotchlocks and spade connectors, I have discovered that these speakers will not work unless you wire in the blooming crossover boxes as well! So with light fading and not much room inside the door card, I found that the boxes will fit (tightly) into the "tweeter" hole on those plastic holders.

Door card re-fitted, didn't forget to connect anything, speaker works. Drivers door tonight

This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
Old 6th May 2017, 10:18   #3
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Both doors done, rear tweeters done as well. I'm going to grab some front door trims to open up the tweeter holes and fit the Edge ones as they are better. Off to the scrappies I go!

To do