Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2017, 22:48   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Default Time for clutch number 3 !

Call from wife tonight '' Pet ,the car's broken down , I can't get the gears ! So I race to her rescue in our mx5 and get her to drive it home , whilst I limp the Rover home with the clutch pedal on the floor. I tried to bleed it as I couldn't see any leaks from the gearbox end and suspected it may be the master cylinder as it was replaced by a local MGR dealer under warranty at 11, 000 miles in 2004 ! ( car now on 168,000 miles !) They also changed the clutch at the same time as they thought that was the fault but the clutch pedal went to the floor on the technicians road test !

Clutch number 2 went at 110,000 miles so not bad I thought but master cylinder still doing sterling service so it kept the bill down to £960 using genuine parts including dmf.

Tonight after bleeding I got a slight pedal but not happy with the feel but had a look at the gearbox and a slight weep started to appear. Slave cylinder still okay after nearly 160,000 miles, so the box is going to have to come out again. I've got AA breakdown repair cover but I know £500 won't cover the full job so I've ordered a sleeve assembly for the gearbox input shaft and a driveshaft seal as there's evidence of a weep from the o/s diff seal. These I've ordered from Matt but there's an O ring behind the sleeve that I can only get from Robber Bros. £1 for the seal , price at check out £4.50 ! They could have put it in an envelope with a first class stamp on! No wonder these cars are being scrapped due to cost of parts ! Just need to find a trustworthy VAT registered garage before calling the AA for recovery
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 10:40   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Call from wife tonight '' Pet ,the car's broken down , I can't get the gears ! So I race to her rescue in our mx5 and get her to drive it home , whilst I limp the Rover home with the clutch pedal on the floor. I tried to bleed it as I couldn't see any leaks from the gearbox end and suspected it may be the master cylinder as it was replaced by a local MGR dealer under warranty at 11, 000 miles in 2004 ! ( car now on 168,000 miles !) They also changed the clutch at the same time as they thought that was the fault but the clutch pedal went to the floor on the technicians road test !

Clutch number 2 went at 110,000 miles so not bad I thought but master cylinder still doing sterling service so it kept the bill down to £960 using genuine parts including dmf.

Tonight after bleeding I got a slight pedal but not happy with the feel but had a look at the gearbox and a slight weep started to appear. Slave cylinder still okay after nearly 160,000 miles, so the box is going to have to come out again. I've got AA breakdown repair cover but I know £500 won't cover the full job so I've ordered a sleeve assembly for the gearbox input shaft and a driveshaft seal as there's evidence of a weep from the o/s diff seal. These I've ordered from Matt but there's an O ring behind the sleeve that I can only get from Robber Bros. £1 for the seal , price at check out £4.50 ! They could have put it in an envelope with a first class stamp on! No wonder these cars are being scrapped due to cost of parts ! Just need to find a trustworthy VAT registered garage before calling the AA for recovery
Do I take it that the original slave was still on the car after 160,00, and was not changed when the clutch/DMF was done at 110,000 ?. As I am sure you know, the usual advice is to change all three parts within the bellhousing (slave, clutch cover and clutch centre/driven plate) whilst the gearbox is off. It is false economy not to, due to the work involved in changing just one component.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 16:15   #3
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Sorry Pete , I just noticed my mistake, I meant the clutch master cylinder on the pedal was changed in 2004 at 11,000 miles and is still okay and is a genuine Luk cylinder. My mate works at a Ford dealership and has asked if his garage would take it on as he has done clutches on 75's before and I trust him to do it and so the car's in their carpark now ,however it probably won't be looked at until the end of next week so that gives me time to receive the oil seals that I might as well change whilst the box is out from Matt at DMGRS.

Last edited by patrolman pete; 13th May 2017 at 16:46..
Old 13th May 2017, 19:37   #4
hpold
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:

There is a good one in Loughborough which i used was going to use one on the sight but fell ill. I have had no problems on way back from spain.
hpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 19:44   #5
hpold
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

The tel number is 01509 216100 cost £540 total fit i had the parts from dmgrs on the site here.
hpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 21:54   #6
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

That's a good price for a clutch considering it's a 6 hour job going by the book, however it's a long way from the North East with no clutch pedal Lol ! Hopefully i'll have her back later next week with the AA having paid £500 towards the repair. If they don't i'll have to start taking in washing !
Old 14th May 2017, 11:06   #7
The Gas Man
Avid contributor

ZT CDTI & ZT V8

Don't forget if the AA start kicking up a fuss about service history (or lack of it), the clutch hydraulics are a 'non service item'. They did mine.
The Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 12:16   #8
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the reassurance. Did yours contaminate the clutch plate as I might as well get a new clutch whilst the box is out.
Old 14th May 2017, 12:41   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Hope you get it all sorted in good time.

Get ready to have a fight on your hands when using your AA cover, I had the AA breakdown repair cover once, they dont cover any worn out friction surface regarding a clutch, plus the garage needs to be AA approved.

In the end I got back my 3 years premium as thier cover was hopeless, not sure if its any better now though.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 16:09   #10
The Gas Man
Avid contributor

ZT CDTI & ZT V8

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. Did yours contaminate the clutch plate as I might as well get a new clutch whilst the box is out.
No, the clutch was not contaminated but I gave the garage a new LUK clutch kit to fit whilst the box was out as the ZT had just done over 100k. The AA didn't squabble over the claim and there was no problem, I just paid the excess.

Last edited by The Gas Man; 14th May 2017 at 16:12..
The Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote