Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2017, 05:22   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Is it worth working hard and saving hard

I been looking at May's proposals.

Those who never bothered to work, never bothered to save, seem to get well enough looked after.

One of the few/ only things I am entitled to, after a lifetime of working and saving hard, is the winter fuel allowance. I'm not by any means poor, but only because I was careful with money and saved. My income though is not that good.

Hopefully she will make the WF payment based on income rather than wealth, seems unlikely though. It makes me wonder if I was being a fool saving all my life.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:09   #2
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

I feel the same about it as you Harry, it's alright for the ruling over paid elete with their gold plated pension's. The lot of them make me want to puke

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:30   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Means testing the winter fuel allowance has been knocked about for a few years. It's come up quite a bit on here and seemed a popular idea. But I'm not sure it'll save that much money, means testing itself isn't cheap.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:32   #4
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

I agree the heating payment should be means tested as at the moment even multi millionairs recieve it which is crazy! And the Double lock pension will still mean the pension goes up. Also the social care situation, having worked in social care myself isnt all bad, under the current situation you would be forced to sell your home if you went into a care home and only be left with £23k to pass on. This new way guarantees at least £100,000 to pass on. Hooefully the new funding will improve residential care, as care at home from what I have experianced is poor value for money.
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:10   #5
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I've worked hard since I left school at 15. Not only physically but also on my qualifications. I often worked 12-16 hours a day and at weekends. This culminated in buying two houses, I didn't save but spent my cash on cars and my interests. I must have given the government a fortune in Tax & NI. Unfortunately latterly my business collapsed and I lost everything. My health is now poor and I rely on the state to help me since I've propped it up for over 40 years'
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:11   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Interesting thought provoking thread; I have always made a comment that on the council estates, those with the best cars will be those getting the most benefits - though yes, I know it doesn't really apply, especially now that so many houses on those estates are privately owned.

It is infuriating to realize that because one has been thrifty, even miserly, one is going to gain less from the benefits available.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:15   #7
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

The easiest way to solve the problem is by distributing wealth before you get to this stage or into a trust fund I believe
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:39   #8
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I been looking at May's proposals.

Those who never bothered to work, never bothered to save, seem to get well enough looked after.

One of the few/ only things I am entitled to, after a lifetime of working and saving hard, is the winter fuel allowance. I'm not by any means poor, but only because I was careful with money and saved. My income though is not that good.

Hopefully she will make the WF payment based on income rather than wealth, seems unlikely though. It makes me wonder if I was being a fool saving all my life.

It sometimes seems pointless when you see the State’s bounty going to seemingly underserved ends. Until of course you consider self-respect and a clear conscience!

I’m thinking about my personal ability to manage on my own terms and to hell with free-loaders and those who have long arms and big hands, usually with yawning gobs as well. Why would I want to be on equal terms with that?
On a note of caution: sometimes we see only what we expect to see, there can be needs that don’t at first come to light due to a natural desire to remain ‘private’.

I’ve never saved. If I go early (although that's already too late) I want to leave little in the way of possessions for my nearest and dearest to worry about but having made sure there is sufficient wherewithal to ensure a smooth recovery for those who might mourn. Saving to provide for a rainy day is one thing but just for the sake of it is, to me at least, daft.

I long ago came to the conclusion that wealth can disappear in a blink due to matters you cannot control and can never keep pace with rising costs. Imagine if you were Greek! The bankers continue to only grow richer on other people’s savings, never giving reasonable returns but always taking their commissions up front and refreshers from any profits!

However, what is important is Income! If you have sufficient income you can always keep abreast of things as well as making sure you are protected. If income is limited but assets enable a readjustment (downsizing etc.) difficulties may be ironed out. An acquaintance of mine some years ago got into difficulty job-wise so moved house by 1 mile. He retained enough capital to cover loss of income and went on to regain position a year or two later.

Winter Fuel. The latest proposals (being means tested) will be based on income and relate to those with incomes over or below a certain limit, the value of a house will not be considered. What should be considered as well as higher income however is the position of those who have decamped to warmer climes and continue to draw benefit which is no longer needed. If the benefit system is based on needs, then by definition and a continuously balmy climate, the need no longer applies so the benefit should be withdrawn. Such claimants could, of course, return to UK. But only if they wanted to. Of course. Oh, and you are nobody’s fool Harry.

The proposals in the manifesto should be seen as declarations of intent and subject to adjustment just as every manifesto there ever was has before it. They will need to be voted on following parliament's consideration and approval at the time.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:27   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

My grandmother passed away 2 months ago, after living in residential care for the previous 2.5 years for dementia. Because of her savings, she had to pay almost the full amount for her care, only reducing from £900 per week to 170 in the last month of her life. This dwindled to the point where the only legacy left was money she had set aside for us, her 3 grandkids. Even then, that was due to be swallowed up over if next year. I never cared about the money, in fact tried to convince her to buy new cars and take holidays whilst she was able. At least to see the value of her savings. It was unfair I thought that she received no benefit from her payments over the non paying residents.

Thankfully the house my grandfather and her owned for nearly 60 years was transferred to my uncle and father when my grandfather passed in 2000.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 16:10   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Winter Fuel. The latest proposals (being means tested) will be based on income and relate to those with incomes over or below a certain limit, the value of a house will not be considered. Oh, and you are nobody’s fool Harry.
If it is tested solely on income, then I am not unhappy with that. It just comes in a week when I lost a few hundred to the Council, simply for no claiming or not even knowing to claim. Jean gets a benefit, but what I didn't know was that it entitled me to a large discount in Council Tax. In part they made the error, I advised them there were now two adults in the house, they never asked who, nor sent a form to see if we might be entitled to some discount. They did not even know Jean's name, until I realised there was a discount available and I began the claim procedure in April this year.

I have overpaid for 15 months - yes they have agreed to back date the claim 3 months. They will not repay retrospectively, so it is gone. On the other hand if they made an error and under charged, they would pursue me for it no matter how long ago.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote