Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th July 2009, 15:19   #1
Boldyboy
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 1.8T 160

Default Coolant loss on mg zt 160+

Hi Guys,not been on for a while.Last week while driving home from work early hours was doing about 60 ish,when the temp gauge went right upto red and the computer screen lit up 'Engine Overheating',i slowed down and both went off,drove home steadily without any further mishap,checked the water level when i got back and it had lost a little bit(about 1/2 pint) so i topped it up,checked again today and had to put in about a pint!!Any ideas? not had any warning messages since!
Boldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:16   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I think I'll wait till Intermission to read your question.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:20   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Well, plenty
You have either
1. Lost water
2. Got a thermostat stuck
3. Indicating fault.

Firstly establish if you have lost water.
If so, have you got an external leak?
check
Thermostat housing
Water pump
All hoses
Check for drips, check filler cap on expansion bottle
If no external leak but water loss, check oil filler cap for mayo (water loss past liners or, if you also have oil in the water, HGF)

If none of the above, stuck thermostat, could be it, start engine from cold and feel the hose to see if it gets hot, If not stuck thermostat.

If none of the above,you could perhaps have an air-lock, but then you would have been tinkering with the cooling system recently, and that you would know.

It just shows you how useless the temperature warning is, get another gauge
either install an analogue type as I did many moons ago, or get one of the excellent units of Hans.
And, with absolutely no modesty whatsoever!!!! install another durable thermostat (hint hint!!)

All the above assumes that you r car is V6 engine.

Otherwise all applies with exception of the thermostat housing!

If I have forgotten anything, it is just to see if the other big mouths on the forum are awake!!!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:23   #4
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Err - I think it's the 1.8T Kaiser

But do the checks that K has suggested anyhow!
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:31   #5
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

thermostat housing.....check the V with a torch (I'm assuming a KV6)
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:35   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Of course, you are right! 1.8T!
Somehow I only noticed the 160, and that did not mean anything in particular to me.
Anyhow, the advice stands, with exception of the thermostat housing. Darn!!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 18:22   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Assuming you've eliminated the possibility of HGF and you know the header cap is sound, then on the 1.8T the first leak candidate is the upper plastic T-piece behind the radiator. This tends to deform as you tighten the clips. If the original clips are still on there, swap them for Jubilees. In fact get rid of the T-piece altogether and replace it with a steel one from Gerry. Search and you'll find.
If that's not the culprit, think about the inlet manifold. It's water heated and the o-ring type gaskets easily fail.
Other than those, leaks can occur in the same place as in any other engine, the water pump is another common one. This drips out from behind the main pulley.
In the turbo, the thermostat is underneath the engine, by the radiator bottom. It could be stuck shut leading to overheat and coolant loss.
If you suspect there's an air lock, you can clear it be evacuating the system using a Pela pump. See the HowTo on vacuum filling the coolant for details.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th July 2009 at 18:27..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 11:29   #8
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Default hi

hi sounds like the same thing i had with my 1800 turbo .the pipe from the t bit going to the stat at he bottom of the rad split and the cause was the water pump.mine is being done now for £120 ,got new hose for a real bargian from smc trading for £24.99 brand new one .my mecanic says the head is ok as he made up a pipe to test the engine.
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 08:28   #9
Boldyboy
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 1.8T 160

Welllll!! Pretty sure now its HGF,the original plastic T-Piece is leaking like sieve,and water is dripping out of the engine,lost another pint yesterday,and there is a big puddle underneath the car,taking it to my mate this morning as he is a mechanic,think it will be about £500,is that reasonable?and how much have others paid to have this done,apparently i also get a full service and cam belt included.

Also on a different note the exhaust back box had an advisory on the mot,and have been told it would be cheaper to have a sports back box sleeved on instead of paying out £230 for a full system,has anybody got any suggestions for a nice stainless box,may as well get it all done while its in for the HGF!
Boldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 16:10   #10
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Default hi

check the hoses from the matrix if one hot the cold then you got a bubble it the cooling system stats hardly go it would open if it not sensing hot water .mates car was doing the same trouble is through riunning hot like that will do the water pumd and and pop your top hose .mate just un did hose blow through it and then on to the next pipe in the cycle till all pipes had been blown through,top up rad bleed if you need to bleedor just run engine without cap on rad and your see when system is bleed as no more bubbles will appear at the neck of the expansin tank , hope that helps .
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote