Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2008, 08:46   #1
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Default horn replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOW-NOTE-CAR-H...QQcmdZViewItem
saw this - would this fit for the Project Drive deletion, and where does it go... i.e. is the wiring still there? Is it the high or low tone one that is missing?! Brown and Gammons also have sets of the hi and low claxon.
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 09:00   #2
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOW-NOTE-CAR-H...QQcmdZViewItem
saw this - would this fit for the Project Drive deletion, and where does it go... i.e. is the wiring still there? Is it the high or low tone one that is missing?! Brown and Gammons also have sets of the hi and low claxon.
Did this mod to mine and much better. There were other threads on this but cant find them. Got my horn from Brown & Gammons but cant remember if it was the high or low tone - someone else will be along to confirm no doubt.

The horn from Brown & Gammons comes complete with fixing bracket and whilst not exactly the right one it can be easily adapted.

You will have to remove the front bumper to do it and you will see the existing horn towards the right hand side, look over to the left and you will see a threaded hole where you can fit the other one - the under bonnet bumper fixing bolts are the same thread and i used one of those to get the job done whilst the bumper was off, and replaced the missing one under the bonnet later.

I also had to cut a small amount off the polystyrene block that sits behind the bumper so it would fit back on as the new horn was catching it slightly.

There was no " ready " wiring on mine but a simple job to feed of the terminals on the existing horn.

A few members have done this mod and it makes a vast improvement.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 10th February 2008 at 09:13..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 09:09   #3
pondweed
This is my second home

thats all good news. def interested in whether I need to get the 'boop' or the 'parp', if anyone else can remember!
Old 10th February 2008, 09:17   #4
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

This suggests its the high tone which i think i put on mine but wait for confirmation. You cant do it by removing the grill if its a facelift - its bumper off but pics here give you a good idea of how it looks

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=13062

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 09:37   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

You will need the low note horn.

The replacement Klaxon horns from B&G are just a bit bit bigger than the originals and it takes a bit of thinking to fit. Wiring is just a matter of joining into the existing.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 10:08   #6
pondweed
This is my second home

'parp' it is, then! thanks all. No more sounding like a matchboxcar (if they made noises, that is)
Old 10th February 2008, 10:39   #7
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

I have a low note horn fitted to my facelift, its currently missing the hi-note. I bought a nautilius horn month and month ago and never fitted it. Decided to fit it yesterday... what a performance it took 2 hours to get bumper off as the screws had rusted. They had to be drilled out. My bumper suffered some damage, thankfully underneath so you cant see it but I know its there!

Today I will be fitting the horn!! Should be fun because the horn is about 8times the size!
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 18:04   #8
The_Monk

-

TADA!!!

New horn fitted, can you spot it? Has the nice red eleccy tape round the one end Kept the original low tone rover one aswell and if I find a high tone i'll fit that aswell.

Left the polystyrene out as I had a wee bit too much fun with the hotknife...

Complete and utter pain to remove the bumper, why the heck did rover use bolts prone to rusting?? Everyone has had to be drilled out or shaved off. Took the whole weekend to fit a £24 horn! Although the bumper and bonnet got a good polishing as there was paint overspray from the neighbours decorating!

Now my horn no longer goes "parp" it goes "OI YOU IN FRONT! YEAH YOU! MOOOOOOOOVE NOW!"
Old 10th February 2008, 21:40   #9
crofts

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Horns

Bought the pair of high and low horns from Gammons as didn't know which I needed.
My tourer had a low note so only used the high note.
It's a bit of a fiddle fitting the horn as space is limited and I had to make a bracket from the one that came from Gammons
If I had known I would have bought the high from Xpart (it's about £20) as the bracket has the locating lug and think you will find the different dimensions and terminal location make it much easier to fit into the VERY tight space.
I think I am right in saying the high note horn was reinstated on later models
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 21:48   #10
The_Monk

-

Mine is a 54 plate and does not have the high note horn. When I find one i'll put it on as well. I got a high note off a 200 series this morning from the breakers but even that was too big with the cable connector!! It was a lot easier doing what I did and using a L-Shaped bracket to fix the horn lower down. Dont suppose you have a part number for the high note horn to get it from xpart do you?

Edit: Found it YEB101130 but at £23 i'll leave the airhorn with the low note!

Last edited by The_Monk; 10th February 2008 at 21:51..