Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2007, 09:24   #1
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Default lazer toner supply?

just had the awful scenario of buying a new colour lazer for £99 because the toner for old one - 7 months old - costs more. By the time one factors in the wear on the other parts, its cost effective although a tragic waste.
So, I'm going to try and refill the old canisters and reuse the old machine after I've got the problem sussed.
Anyone have a source for bulk toner powder? I've found a vid on youtube showing how the Samsung/Xerox disposable/chipped canisters can be drilled and taped. This seems sensible and easy, but who supplies the companies who put it into expensive little 80g bottles?!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 09:55   #2
pondweed
This is my second home

yes, but they control supply, and package up powder in small consumer sizes. Someone somewhere must supply it to them! And to larger companies IT depts and so on...
Old 18th December 2007, 06:04   #3
nisfo
Gets stuck in

You really need to be careful with toner, the wrong stuff can make a right mess of the drum unit.
After many years of being a printer technician I came across many write offs due to customers trying cheap aftermarket toner. They paid the price, I had one customer have to spend nearly £7000yes 7k to repair their £42,000 bit of kit. A large firm well known for their dividends relied on this bit of kit to print their posters and flyers that were distributed around the UK.

So be warned it may be the cheap way out. However you could pay the price.

But here is a link I use for my old HP that has lasted 6 years and still prints as good as it did from day 1>>> www.tonertopup.co.uk
nisfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 08:17   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

thanks. yes, they look good.

(Mine is luckily a no-brainer. £100 for complete new colour lazer printer. £100 for complete oem top-up! Anything won is a bonus.)

but it still doesnt get around the main question:
I do WANT quality toner, not trying to skimp, and happy to pay for it, but just want to buy it not as "a kit". All these companies seem to have a monopoly as the supply chain isnt very obvious, unless you want it all laid out for you. (i.e. toner "kits" are all about half as much as oem cartridges - this is still way too much, it seems!?)
Old 18th December 2007, 08:25   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The Problem you are seeing is...
The reason the Colour Laser Printers are so Cheap. way below Build costs is because they rely on Profit from Toners.
Same goes with Inkjet Colour Printers, which in real Terms get Cheaper every Year.
HP, Epson and Brother are now Putting Time chips are their Products (Toners/Cartridges) which are Patented to stop people working around correct Materials.
Its your choice of course.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 16:15   #6
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

My HP 7110 All in one has a time function to stop out of date and compatible cartridges from being used. There is a dead easy fix - PM me for details as I don't think its right putting this on an open forum
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote