Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2008, 15:17   #1
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Default Decent replacement swap-in speakers?

I have a 75 Club CDT Tourer from 2002, with the basic sound system (CD changer in glove box). I don't have a lot of money to splash around at the moment but I was wondering whether it would be worth simply replacing the existing speakers with better ones, and if so can anyone recommend me some? I understand that I'll get better sound if I make MDF baffles to mount in the doors but I don't see myself getting round to doing that any time soon.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 23:16   #2
Simon
Banned

-

The trouble with upgrading the speakers is that the headunit that drives them needs to take advantage of the improved speakers. This usually involves being able to provide higher power outputs across a larger spread of fequencies. Unfortunately the OEM equipment is matched to the speakers provided and putting better quality speakers in my result in decreased performance.

What is needed is an amplifier that can drive the new speakers to their full potential (The Harmon Kardon upgrade offered at the factory was one such option available to new 75's/ZT's and uses improved speakers and an amplifier to provide a richer sound).

Unless you are willing to go the whole hog and fit both speakers and an amp or a newer headunit then you may find that you will be disapointed with the results. That said, quite a few members have been satisfied by replacing the OEM speakers and nothing else - I guess it depends on what speakers you go for and what your own perceptions of 'good quality sound' is.

To be honest, the MDF mounts will improve the OEM speaker setup without upsetting power-balanced speaker/headunit arrangement.

Hope that helps.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 23:54   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Remember the SLE - Symphony Loudness Enabler get smore bass from your Symphony/Alpine radio.

A few members on here have fitted it and will recommend it.

The SLE can be brought from our friends at http://www.r75-parts.de/en/sle/index.php
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 10:53   #4
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Thanks, that does help. In fact I have a decent power amp (and indeed subwoofer) sitting in my loft, left over from a good installation on an earlier car where the head unit was stolen, so I could use those. Where's a good place for the power amp?
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 11:12   #5
Phil260
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Alpine SXE-1725Ss in the rear doors and Alpine SXE-1750S components in the front would probably be a good choice and are available quite cheaply on ebay.
Phil260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 17:26   #6
jaffo
Avid contributor

freelander td4sport and mg tf 135

sorry to be thick but do replacement speakers all have the same mounting holes (i.e if they are 16cm replacements etc) ??

im actually after replacing the main front door speakers(one has blown)on my latest freelander td4 and i really want to spend as little as possible.....esp as ive managed to blow the f/n/s one myself.
jaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 14:49   #7
keiron99
Loves to post

75 Connie SE 2.0 CDT auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What is needed is an amplifier that can drive the new speakers to their full potential (The Harmon Kardon upgrade offered at the factory was one such option available to new 75's/ZT's and uses improved speakers and an amplifier to provide a richer sound).
So, with my Highline/satnav/TV thingy, can I retain that unit in the dash and upgrade the amplifier that drives the speakers?
keiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 15:14   #8
shakennstirred
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 ConnSE

yeah the standard head unit weak point in the sound set up
when i got my car it had the Harman kardon stereo upgrade and it still didnt sound that good to be honest
i fitted my JVC head unit and the difference was 1000% better
British racing green
Harman kardon stereo upgrade//SYNERGY TUNING MODULE/EGR bypass/intake mod
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by shakennstirred; 1st August 2008 at 15:29..
shakennstirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:22   #9
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Thanks, that does help. In fact I have a decent power amp (and indeed subwoofer) sitting in my loft, left over from a good installation on an earlier car where the head unit was stolen, so I could use those. Where's a good place for the power amp?
I went for the "closer the better" option and stuck the CD player in the glovebox with the power amp mounted under the glovebox. Subwoofer used is the Rover/MG one available from SMC.

Pics:

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 09:54   #10
keiron99
Loves to post

75 Connie SE 2.0 CDT auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGGY View Post
I went for the "closer the better" option and stuck the CD player in the glovebox with the power amp mounted under the glovebox. Subwoofer used is the Rover/MG one available from SMC.
What head unit have you got? How does the amp fit into the wiring? Does this take the speaker level outputs? And crucially, did it improve the sound quality much?
keiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote