Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2023, 08:09   #1
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

Default Help with valuation

Hi all,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here.. I could do with some advice regarding my MG ZT 190+. I’ve owned it for nearly 3 years now and have only used it for shows, sunny days out etc. I bought it from the original owner who bought it direct from the factory just after MG Rover had collapsed - he previously had a new one but it was written off, so went to his local dealer to order a new one but was told it was not possible anymore so they gave him the phone number of the factory! He managed to buy one that was registered to MG but had no miles on - I have all the paperwork from the original sale which is really interesting. The previous owner fastidiously maintained it, being serviced at a Jaguar main dealer for many years, then switching over to an independent. I’ve only covered a few thousand miles in my ownership, in that time I have fully serviced it including spark plugs, gearbox oil etc. Now, what I’m looking for advice on is the potential value of it (this is not an advert - I’ll place a proper listing in the classifieds when ready so I hope it’s ok to ask advice in this section…I read you must post an advert with a listing price hence advice today!) - I’m about to buy my first house and I sadly can’t justify or afford a second car at the moment - so am looking for an idea of how much it might be worth… The history of the car makes it interesting, however it does have its negatives - there is a dent in the drivers door, a crease in the rear bumper and scrape on the front bumper, the satnav module in the boot needs replacing as it was water damaged and the cam belts will now be due replacement due to age, not mileage. My plan was to rectify these problems along the way while still enjoying the car. The car is currently not MOT’d as it is dry stored, but I would get this done along with replacing the headlining which is currently removed as it had sagged. It’s on approx. 125k miles. I haven’t really been keeping an eye on values since I bought the car so I’d really appreciate any advice on what it might be worth - thanks everyone!

Last edited by AUA23; 4th April 2023 at 07:09..
AUA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:01   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

You will need to pay the £10 and become a subscribed memeber to be able to post in the For Sale section.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:59   #3
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
You will need to pay the £10 and become a subscribed memeber to be able to post in the For Sale section.
As stated above, this is not a listing for sale - I’m not advertising the car I’m just looking for advice on how much it might be worth if or when I come to sell in the near future. Thanks
AUA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 23:12   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
As stated above, this is not a listing for sale - I’m not advertising the car I’m just looking for advice on how much it might be worth if or when I come to sell in the near future. Thanks
Hi Robin.
It would be hard for anyone to give you an 100% estimate for your car, the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, from your own description above it does not sound a good prospect.

If you take into account that the belts need doing which is most likely going to cost £500+ then the work to the door and bumpers maybe another £450 MOT to put on the car you can see where this going can't you.

Has it stands the car is only worth scrap price £300 but that is speculation, add the fact the MOT history is one of the worst i have ever seen, last pass was July 2020 and the pass was given with the below.

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing cuts and splits to tread and sidewall (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all discs are scored and corroded (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

Then the scrap price looks rather inviting maybe get everything sorted then put it up for sale, but the history does not look good on paper considering the previous owner fastidiously maintained it, being serviced at a Jaguar main dealer for many years, then switching over to an independent.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Others may have a different opinion who knows.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 07:37   #5
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
I know that. I was just warning you that you will have to part with £10 when you come to sell it.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:51   #6
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I know that. I was just warning you that you will have to part with £10 when you come to sell it.

I always think it sounds nicer if you "advise" someone, rather than "warning" them.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 10:00   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
As stated above, this is not a listing for sale - I’m not advertising the car I’m just looking for advice on how much it might be worth if or when I come to sell in the near future. Thank
s

The OP seems to have changed his name now and removed pictures of (BX54HSK) Green MGZT from (musicman) to AUA23.

Hope it was not my post has that was not my intention, maybe sometimes best not to comment on car appraisals, as the person may not like the outcome of the appraisal or opinion of another person

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 4th April 2023 at 10:24.. Reason: Spelling
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2023, 10:11   #8
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
I always think it sounds nicer if you "advise" someone, rather than "warning" them.

If you look at my original post #2 I did not use the word warning or any thing with the same connatation.
Old 4th April 2023, 10:15   #9
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
s

The OP seems to have changed his name now from (musicman) to AUA23.

Hope it was not my post has that was not my intention, maybe sometimes best not to comment on car appraisals, as the person may not like the outcome of the appraisal or opinion of another person

I thought that was a realistic valuation. As Arsene Wenger said about Alex Ferguson - "we all have the prettiest wife at home."