Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st January 2010, 13:48   #1
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Default Garmin nuvi 200w problem.

I bought a new lead for my satnav, (original one has gone walkabout) the one that plugs into the cars cigar lighter and connects to the unit. The lead has a lil light that lights up to show it is getting power ok. And appears to work properly.

But, when I plug it in, I get an icon of the unit being charged?? I can't get anything else on its screen? No maps, zilch! Just the charging icon.

It starts to work again if I unplug it, but then it is running on its batteries only.. dohhh..

Does anyone know how to cure this please?

I have been on Garmin tech help phone line, but they are closed till next week!!

Last edited by James.uk; 1st January 2010 at 17:39..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 17:42   #2
loz1971
Posted a thing or two

2000 (W) Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (manual)

Hi James, have you tried re-setting it??

"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"
loz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 19:39   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

Hi Loz... Erm no? How do I do that??

EDIT:- Just found the "restore to factory settings" and ok'd that. All my stored locations are still in it though? And -- It's now 31f outside and falling, so testing will have to wait untill tomorrow.

Last edited by James.uk; 1st January 2010 at 19:52..
Old 1st January 2010, 20:07   #4
loz1971
Posted a thing or two

2000 (W) Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (manual)

You re-set it by pushing the little button on the bottom of the unit. You have to look REALLY closely to see it, it's on the bottom where the serial number is, and it isn't actually a button, it is just a small circle on the bottom with reset written under it in tiny writing!! you re0set it by pushing it with a pen or similar.

The factory re-set will just put everything, function wise, back to original (volume,voice,map etc etc)

"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"
loz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:34   #5
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

It is the lead James, it is a charger lead only, and not a power lead that also charges the satnav.

My daughters DS lead will charge a Garmin, but it cannot be used while it is plugged in. I have several USB leads that will charge a Garmin, but they also will charge only and are not power leads, and will not allow the GPS to be turned on while charging.

Am I correct in guessing it is a coiled up springy type

Throw it away, you need a power lead and not a charging lead. I had a spare but gave it away. I also had a brand new one but you know what has happened to that one.

I am making one that I can just pull out of the little compartment above the lightswitch unit, and push it back in when not in use. Am going to wire it to the back of the power socket I have there, my knee catches the plug when I get in and out, and I am fed up of draping it over the top of the steering wheel.
Either that or I will adapt a firewire type socket and fit it to the door pillar and have a 6" power lead that will plug into it from the GPS

Last edited by Devilish; 2nd January 2010 at 00:47..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:05   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

Hi Devilish.

Yes you are correct! It is a springy type, unlike the original, that was a straight lead. I bought the springy one off a market in London over Xmas. dohhh..

My origin lead went missing while my car was in the bodyshop having the bodywork repaired.......................... Luckily I had taken the unit itself indoors for safety during the cold spell.. :lol: ..

I will get a proper power lead locally asap..

Thanks to you all for your help and advice..
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:35   #7
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

you're welcome, happy new year
Old 2nd January 2010, 16:32   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
I am making one that I can just pull out of the little compartment above the lightswitch unit, and push it back in when not in use. Am going to wire it to the back of the power socket I have there, my knee catches the plug when I get in and out, and I am fed up of draping it over the top of the steering wheel.
Either that or I will adapt a firewire type socket and fit it to the door pillar and have a 6" power lead that will plug into it from the GPS
I did a sort of how-to on mine in a thread ages ago, but in short, I took a supply from the passenger footwell fusebox, routing the wire via trim gaps and/or behind trim, across the dashboard, to exit into the void under the steering wheel.

The wire ended in a trailing accessory socket, earthed, into which I plugged the satnav plug, and that now sits happily hidden under the wheel, the satnav wire being similarly hidden and routed into the cubby to the right of the wheel.

I made my own bracket for the Garmin's sucker mount to stick to, so the unit sits just in front of the cubby, and demountable quite quicky if needed, but it's out of the way enough not to need to remove it.

Malcolm
Old 2nd January 2010, 17:51   #9
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I did a sort of how-to on mine in a thread ages ago, but in short, I took a supply from the passenger footwell fusebox, routing the wire via trim gaps and/or behind trim, across the dashboard, to exit into the void under the steering wheel.

The wire ended in a trailing accessory socket, earthed, into which I plugged the satnav plug, and that now sits happily hidden under the wheel, the satnav wire being similarly hidden and routed into the cubby to the right of the wheel.

I made my own bracket for the Garmin's sucker mount to stick to, so the unit sits just in front of the cubby, and demountable quite quicky if needed, but it's out of the way enough not to need to remove it.

Malcolm
I also thought of this Malcolm, the cubby is just the right size for a WS satnav, maybe I shall see
Old 9th January 2010, 13:30   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

Hiya Devilish. The power lead for charging my Garmin sat nav arrived in the post today, thank you very very much, it works a treat..

It is sitting by the kettle charging as I type.

Oh and Scribbler said he was out playing with his Garmin Yesterday so he's another happy bunnie thanks to you.. :lol:

Thanks again for giving me the lead.. James.. :lol: