Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2015, 07:41   #1
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Default Wind noise at 55 mph! (I'm going crazy!)

Hey there everybody,

I'am new to this forum and I want to quickly introduce myself a little bit:

My name is Toby and I'am from Germany. I've had my Tourer since May 2014 and have been nothing but pleased with it. It's simply a joy to drive and it gathers thousands of looks by simply driving it through the city. It's an extremly rare car these days (especially the Tourer) and it's just a thrill everytime you step in and turn the key.

However, I've been getting a weird wind noise when reaching around 55 mph since the last 3 months or something. It sounds like a little leaf is stuck somewhere and makes a sort of "crackling" noise. (It does NOT occur on lower speeds!)

I tried to locate it a few times and I always thought that it comes from somewhere near the b-pillar though a friend of mine recently said that the noises seem to come from the rear door on the left side (yup, I'm German so my steering wheel is on the correct side ).

Kidding aside, what I recently noticed surprised me a little: It rained and after that I went onto the motorway: No noise at all! It soon got hot again though and the noises were back when driving to the rehearsal room of my band. After that, I went home and it had rained again = no noises!

I really can't explain what's going on there and I really want to fix it, cause it really gets on my nerves when driving for long distances. It's not very loud and you can barely hear it, when you got your stereo on but I'm going up to the UK on Saturday with the whole family, so I can't really listen to any music, especially in the early morning!

I hope that somebody on here has an idea of what the actual problem might be. Maybe somebody on here has had that going on as well but I have absolutely no clue on what to do, so help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance and btw: keep up the good work on here. I've been scrolling though a couple of threads and it's just an amazing forum!

Toby
GibsonMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:31   #2
vincentfishing
Loves to post

rover 75cdt diesel saloon

Fairly sure this is a common problem to do with the roof on tourers and can be fixed, i also think that i've read you can wedge a piece of timber or suchlike to temporary stiffen roof to stop vibration as proof of fault, i dont have a tourer so i'm sure someone will be along soon with fuller explanation,(you could use the google search option and will probably get loads of info,not the search option in brown line,its rubbish!!(heres a link if ive done it right !!
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...ffTzQajLaMtElw

Last edited by vincentfishing; 22nd July 2015 at 08:53..
vincentfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:04   #3
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Hey there, vincentfishing,

thank you for your help so far. I'am not sure if that's the problem, since it's always gone as soon as it rains. I'm gonna try to stick something in between to stiffen it up a little. Where do I have to put it then? Do I have to take anything apart? (I've also thought about removing the b-pillar cover around the seatbelt and try to put something in there to lower the noises a little).

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:38   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Since it is there only when it is dry, suggests to me that the rainwater is lubricating the "leaf" and allows it to slide rather than stick and move.

Suggest you look at the door seals where they touch the body apertures.
I have a Tourer and do not have that noise
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:59   #5
vincentfishing
Loves to post

rover 75cdt diesel saloon

suggest you look at link and other threads as there are fixes by people with the problem ,there easy to find , go to ' forum google search ' top of forum list above 'welcome' , type in tourer roof vibration or similar and you will get loads of information on different scenarios, good luck !
vincentfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:45   #6
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Back in the day (as they always say now) a leaf trapped in the heater face vents was a common problem along with other debris, today that shouldn't happen due to cabin (pollen filter) preventing debris passing the filter.

But not *unknown for a car to be used without the filter for a while when it gets foul and smelly, even short use at wrong time of year could allow same trapped leaf to vibrate when dry, when wet it does move, result no noise.

Must be worth a closer inspection even if only to rule it out, or find the cause at no cost if it does turn out to be that.

* am sure there are a few threads/posts where filter has been removed and not replaced / or questions as to if it is OK to run without one.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:48   #7
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Back in the day (as they always say now) a leaf trapped in the heater face vents was a common problem along with other debris, today that shouldn't happen due to cabin (pollen filter) preventing debris passing the filter.

But not *unknown for a car to be used without the filter for a while when it gets foul and smelly, even short use at wrong time of year could allow same trapped leaf to vibrate when dry, when wet it does move, result no noise.

Must be worth a closer inspection even if only to rule it out, or find the cause at no cost if it does turn out to be that.

* am sure there are a few threads/posts where filter has been removed and not replaced / or questions as to if it is OK to run without one.
Good point.
The other thing that crossed my mind was a missing jacking point cover with something stuck in there?
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:54   #8
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Thanks so far, guys!

I'm really thinking about putting something in between to maybe stop the vibration (if that's what happens). I'll also check the seals and maybe put some WD-40 in those spots above the windows.

I'm gonna try that tonight so if you've got more suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:16   #9
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
Good point.
The other thing that crossed my mind was a missing jacking point cover with something stuck in there?
Though I wouldn't say 100% not likely, I would expect road noise to block out anything to do with a jacking point rubber (especially if it's light enough to vibrate when dry but not wet) or anything heavier to not be prone to vibration of type described. Just my opinion of course.

Others have frequently found wind noise problems with door mirrors etc. Maybe these posts will give some ideas to check?

Good hunting and do report cause when known.

Last edited by chipsceola; 22nd July 2015 at 11:21.. Reason: Link added
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:15   #10
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

I don't really think it's the mirrors but I'll have a look.

Also, I've read the roof-related threads and I don't think it's that either. They seem to be getting that noise at 1800 rpm only, while mine starts at 55 mph and increases the faster you go.

What I noticed is that the chrome trim right above the windows does a little "click" noise if you push against it. Maybe it's not 100% tight and thus causing those noises?

Cheers!