Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2009, 15:09   #11
General_Catastrophe
Regular poster

ZT-T 190+, 75 2.5 Conn SE

Default Harmony to Symphony

I've been trying to upgrade a Harmony to Symphony, but have had some problems...
In true Professional Motor Vehicle Dismantler style, the cables to the ISO connectors had been cut on the Symphony I bought, and I already had a BMW-17 pin to ISO cable, so I thought I'd make up my own cables using the cut cables with ISO connectors and the BMW adaptor.
This consisted of wiring power ISO pins 2 & 3 into pins 10 and 17 of the BMW adaptor (Steering Wheel controls).
Then I tapped the Power, CD-Bus and earth cables from the Blue Mini-ISO connector into pins 9, 7 and 15 of the BMW adaptor.
Then, using part of an old PC male IDE connector, I made a 10 pin connector to join the 4 wires of the 10 pin Harmony CD connector to the blue mini ISO connector so:
10 L+ to 13 KB (Pink/Black)
9 R+ to 14 YB (Yellow/Black)
5 L- to 16 BK
4 R- to 17 BY

I plugged this all in and gave it a try. Everything seems to work, including the Steering Wheel controls, but I have a fair bit of distortion on the CD output. The piece of IDE connector can be mounted in alternate 'wrong' positions in the BMW CD Connector, so I turned it through 180 and plugged it in with only the last 2 pins connecting. i.e Pins 10 and 5 (L pos and L ground) were connected, but the other way around. I immediately received higher volume, apparently without distortion, on the one connected channel.

It looks like i may have the polarity of the CD connections the wrong way around, but I have double checked my wiring, and compared it with the factory Symphony cabling on my ZTT. I can't see anything wrong.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or throw any light on my problem?
General_Catastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 16:38   #12
Duotone
This is my second home

Have a read of this "how to" it shows all the connections for the changer..

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=18173

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:26   #13
General_Catastrophe
Regular poster

I did read that 'how to', and printed it for use alongside my soldering iron, It was useful for the Symphony connections, but has no info about the Harmony CD connections. I had to refer to a BMW forum for that.
I'm wondering if I have a simple polarity problem due to a difference on the BMW data I found, or if I have something else wrong with my homemade adaptor?
It would be really useful to have the pinouts of say VUL100310, rather than a how-to that just shows a pic of the item. Sorry, I know that some effort went into that particular how-to, but it's missing some important information.

Not everyone wants to pay £15 for a s/h Symphony, and then £50 for the cable to connect it in.
Old 30th October 2009, 09:43   #14
General_Catastrophe
Regular poster

Simple polarity problem caused by me confusing the pic of one side of a connector with the other. I now have the Harmony 10 pin CD connector wired correctly to the Blue Mini-ISO for the Symphony.
Old 28th January 2016, 06:39   #15
decebalus

Rover 75 Saloon

For furher reference in case anyone needs it, i found it very usefull. I compiled myself a new cd changer plug from this photos for vul100320 as mine was broken

https://goo.gl/photos/KeHLvPU9nAfedN9C6

Last edited by decebalus; 28th January 2016 at 06:43.. Reason: bad link
decebalus is offline   Reply With Quote