Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2016, 16:04   #1
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts
Question Non Navall Double Din Question about Aspect Ratios

I have one of these fitted to my new V8 by the previous owner.

It is a touch screen Kitkat 4.4.4 Android unit which as far as I can determine is manufactured by these guys in good old China

Shenzhen Kaigele Electronics

Now I've got a slight issue in that I cannot find a way of changing the aspect ratio of the DVD player software built into the unit, so as a result all my DVDs play stretched and not in the correct aspect ratio.

On every other DVD player in the land, it's a simple question of hitting the settings button and telling it what shape screen the TV is, but there is no such option in any of the settings menus of the unit

So my question is: Does anyone else have this particular unit (it was said to be the best selling unit for BMW E46 cars back in the day) and comes in a variety of names.

I have been talking to Coolcat and he has been very helpful in sending me a couple of remotes to try but that hasn't helped. I should also add that this is not one of Radioguy's products so I would imagine the Navall would be different in operation to mine.

If anyone has been able to suss this, I would be grateful to hear about it. BTW, I have just emailed the manufacturers in China, but I expect all I will receive is an inbox full of spam now as a result
Reebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 06:36   #2
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Have you tried on a BMW forum? someone probably has the same as your on one.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 11:17   #3
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I have much the same unit made by Pumpkin in my BMW which suffers the same problem. There is nothing in the instructions regarding changing aspect ratio that I can find. Although it will play full screen if the DVD is in that format.

Last edited by oldcarguy; 25th August 2016 at 11:35.. Reason: adding more info
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 12:32   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
I have much the same unit made by Pumpkin in my BMW which suffers the same problem. There is nothing in the instructions regarding changing aspect ratio that I can find. Although it will play full screen if the DVD is in that format.
if they are android app compatible, have you tried a different app for playing video. I use vlc on my phone, tablet and computer. will play everything and allows a lot of control to both video and audio

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 14:11   #5
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

No I have not as yet. The question is, how would I then change the default DVD player app to work with the DVD button on the head unit if I installed a new app?
Reebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 14:34   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
No I have not as yet. The question is, how would I then change the default DVD player app to work with the DVD button on the head unit if I installed a new app?
I had forgotten about the button, however, it may be linked via Android to activate the 'default' app Within settings on the phone, accessing the app list allows you to select defaults from what I recall. However when I download new apps, I get asked if I want to make it a default app, when I first open it.

If apps are easily removed, it wouldn't take much to download the VLC player app to try, and if it didn't work out, simply uninstall.

Just thinking of this, have you updated the app itself? Can you go to the play store on the stereo, search for the app that plays the video, should then offer to update or say if it is up to date.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 18:31   #7
Radioguy
Banned

None

Reebs, while the DVD is playing, if you put your finger at the bottom or top of the screen do settings come up? They may also slide to right or left as well. Also PM Sent to make that go bye bye and naming manufacturer. Cheers
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote