Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd August 2016, 10:53   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Just wait until you see the price of the Cairnryan to Belfast ferry prices with a tin tent

Might be cheaper and less stressful to rent a holiday cottage instead, and as previously mentioned most parts of the country can be explored within the day anyway

I'll post some pictures of Alfie at the Giant's Causeway in due course

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:15   #12
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Was about to say the same as Brian regarding ferry prices. Ireland is brilliant north and south, been loads of times, some of the drivers in the south seem to be in their own world and signposts in quiet villages are quaint to say the least. Once you've been you'll want to go back though.
Old 24th August 2016, 10:24   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Just wait until you see the price of the Cairnryan to Belfast ferry prices with a tin tent

Might be cheaper and less stressful to rent a holiday cottage instead, and as previously mentioned most parts of the country can be explored within the day anyway

I'll post some pictures of Alfie at the Giant's Causeway in due course

Brian
its southern Ireland I'm thinking of Brian,not northern, so it would be something like Stranraer to Dublin or Cork, maybe Holyhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Was about to say the same as Brian regarding ferry prices. Ireland is brilliant north and south, been loads of times, some of the drivers in the south seem to be in their own world and signposts in quiet villages are quaint to say the least. Once you've been you'll want to go back though.
Thanks Trev.
Old 24th August 2016, 12:54   #14
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

The ferry doesn't go from Stranraer now, they've moved the terminal to Cairnryan and that crossing only goes to Belfast or Larne. There is also a route from Fleetwood to Larne, but that might be freight only.

I think your only options for getting to Dublin will be from Liverpool (8hrs duration) or Holyhead (a bit over 3hrs, IIRC). To land further south than Dublin, your next best bet would be the route from Fishguard to Rosslare, in the south-east. To land away down in Cork you'll have to drive to Swansea first.

To give you an idea of driving time if you decided to cross from Cairnryan and drive south, by car it takes about 2 hours to get from Belfast to Dublin - allow another 30-45 minutes if you're going to the likes of Roundwood in north Co. Wicklow. Obviously if you're in a campervan that whole trip will take a bit longer. Either way, I reckon that'll take a lot longer than the drive to Holyhead and going directly from there to Dublin.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 13:15   #15
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

I live in the republic and this website has some reviews of campsites that are useful.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/re...unty=S+Ireland

I have camped in one place in the north, castle archdale in county fermanagh which was very good.
In the south:
Leitrim - pub on site - http://www.battlebridgecaravanandcamping.ie/

Sligo-standhill - basic but on the beach http://www.sligocaravanandcamping.ie/

Roscommon - Lough key - probably the best for facilities - http://loughkey.ie/

Kerry - if you get the weather, its beautiful but mind the midgies
http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/...t-caravan-park

As for ferries, I generally use stena line, into belfast from cairnryan. I find its an easier drive from the ne of england than going to holyhead. Of course that all depends on where you are heading in ireland. Send me a pm if you need more info
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote