Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2016, 13:09   #1
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Default NHS efficiency

We all have our experiences of the NHS and we know it can vary in the extreme.

My daughter, a medic no less, working in ear nose and throat in the south west, got a funny weeping place on her face so walked down the corridor to get it looked at. It was bad news so in January she was diagnosed with a type of cancer. Of course I was worried living 400 miles away, how long before its sorted, are you using your position to get it done quick etc. etc. Her replies were always stop worrying its slow growing rarely spreads. In July it was removed and you can hardly see the scar now, they did a brilliant job.

Two weeks Tuesday I'm having a morning bath (the annual one ready for winter) and suddenly blood everywhere. I had a mole pouring blood. Got out of the bath and rang the Drs for an appointment. "You will need an emergency one" says the receptionist. "Don't think so but in the next couple of days" says I. "I will ask a doctor". Doctor comes on the line telling me to get down there PDQ. I was put on the fast track cancer program.

Next morning before nine I get a phone call from the hospital with an appointment for 9.00 today, two weeks. Later that day a letter came in the post confirming the appointment saying allow a minimum of two hours for the appointment as a biopsy procedure will be carried out. Of course I told my daughter who in trying to reassure made me worry more for a couple of days, but to take my mind off things went playing out in the ZT-T and the Dolomite taking it to the shows it was booked in for etc.

Today was the big day, so set off in good time to get there. School holidays isn't it, no traffic, got there way too early. Paid the extortionate parking fee of £4.50 to allow for running over time and getting there too early and arrived at reception at 8.30. Sent to a waiting room and in less than a minute a nurse came for me and took me to another waiting area. Five minutes later I was in Professor W-----s consulting room. "Oh erm yes that's interesting, good. I don't think this will be nasty, we will have to wait for the results back, but I think its blood vessels. We will remove it all today. Follow the signs to the theatres and wait in the waiting room there, I will do it myself."

So I did as told and after only five minutes the professor walked past smiled and a few seconds later a nurse came for me. Fifty five minutes after parking up I was back in the car, pleased as punch, but as a tight Yorkshireman should be, miffed at the £4.50 parking fee.

Texted my daughter to let her know all is well, not expecting an immediate reply, but back it came, B@#~dy hell that's amazing service, no way we could have done it that quick down here. How many injections did you have, how many stitches, when do you get the results and stitches out? No how you feeling, did it hurt dad; just another piece of meat on the slab. LOL

Just a bit sore now as to be expected and hope for the results the professor indicated.

And big thanks to the splendid NHS.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 19:54   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

For all the flack that's thrown around I'm very proud of our nhs. The staff do their very best. As I type I'm in Ninewells Hospital with my wife waiting on the arrival of our second child. We've been in now almost 2 days. The staff could not be better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 19:58   #3
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

From an NHS worker, its nice to see some positive posts!

Im sick of the mainstream media bashing (whats left) of what was a wonderful service.
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 21:05   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

My daughter is an NHS phisio. Best friend has cancer, NHS moving very quick and we should know all. To get any ops done they may go private just to get it done quick.

Glad both you and your daughter are ok, the nhs really does have a lot to cope with

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 21:08   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I cant moan, they saved my life.
Old 25th August 2016, 07:31   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Glad you are OK.

I have family members and friends who work in the NHS. I wouldn't do their jobs for all the tea in china. What they do say though is that for every horror story there are 10 untold success stories. Thank you for sharing
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 09:15   #7
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

I've nothing but praise for NHS staff who, for the most part, work under extremely difficult conditions.

Couple of years back I was rushed to the Western General in Edinburgh after nearly lapsing into a diabetic coma (didn't know I was diabetic at the time of course!) and the Paramedics and medical staff were just superb!
My wife has recently undergone the 1st of a double-knee replacement at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank and the staff through there couldn't be more professional if they tried, superb bunch every last one of them.

I think that most the NHS bashing takes place thanks to really poor Management (the upstairs collar brigade) however for front-line staff if t'were up to me I'd give them all a healthy wage rise and a hug!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 09:24   #8
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Hate to put cold water on this but I would expect nothing less than good service in theory. It costs the nation a fortune to run. Doctors should diagnose correctly, nurses should show compassion and treat patients well. Its their job after all for which they have been trained. Problem is probably management. My GP surgery is excellent. My wifes (literally across the road) is rubbish. So whats the difference? The way they are managed I guess.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 10:14   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I have had nothing but excellent service from our GP Practice - a short while ago I had an issue - rang them - appt given later that day and a referral resulted - tests done at the Hospital - the treatment/medicine given by the GP endorsed by the Consultant - Cancer ruled out Happy Days !!

In contrast my wife has been told, re an issue of similar importance to mine, repeatedly by the same surgery that there are no appts available for over 3 weeks

There seems to be a huge discrepancy in treatment at the Primary Care level. A very good friend started peeing blood and feeling "full" most of the time and for 18 months his GP surgery (not my one) tested him for Prostate Cancer, found nothing and sent him away.

He was then referred to the Orthopaedic Dept for severe back pain. According to his wife - "all hell let lose" at the first appt and this resulted in excellent and speedy testing at the Hospital but the result was sadly Bladder cancer - Stage 3.

He has just finished his Chemo and Radiotherapy - we can but hope.....

In contrast - my MD at my old company went to his GP down in Poole after seeing blood in his urine and a sample was taken which he took to the path-lab at Poole Hosp himself and within a few days he had endoscopy scopes put in all places and thankfully the results were all negative - but he is now on a regular screening list at his GP surgery.

The difference in performance of these two GP practices could not be more marked. The one in Poole - truly excellent. The other? - well what can you say...............

If I could change one thing in the NHS - I would change the fact that GP's are not employees within the NHS - they are self employed independent contractors to the NHS. They get their membership of the NHSPS via a special Parliamentary Concession - The A9 Concession.

http://old.tax.org.uk/attach.pl/4844...06_TA_1006.pdf

Whilst there are "salaried GP's" now - they are employed by the Surgery and paid out of the Surgeries "Global Sum" rather than by the NHS directly.

Frankly - it is all bit of a mess - and having worked with (never for) the NHS for decades - it is my opinion that all the tinkering from Fundholding, nGMS, and now Commissioning Groups never actually deals with the real issue.

And that is that Primary Care in the NHS is still a lottery dependent upon where you live.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 16:14   #10
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
My daughter is an NHS phisio. Best friend has cancer, NHS moving very quick and we should know all. To get any ops done they may go private just to get it done quick.

Glad both you and your daughter are ok, the nhs really does have a lot to cope with

macafee2

I would be most cautious taking the private route as I understand that any post op treatment also has to be private, this may include any anti-cancer drugs. My wife's current treatment costs in the region of £180/month. I may be wrong but worth asking the question.

'Scripts are free in Engalnd for cancer patients by the way.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote