Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2016, 09:05   #1
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default 2005 1.8t,how quick should the heater get hot?

Just replaced low speed fan resistor,getting ice cold air now!Anyway,from what i remember about my diesel,i was always impressed how quick the interior of the car got hot,2 or 3 miles along the road and it was nice and toasty!
With my 1.8t,considering turbo's of any kind usually heat car quicker,after 4,5 miles(i only drove it this far this morning after fitting resistor) you can detect a 'slight' warmth,more like slightly warm air naturally coming in the car from outside.
Top hose on radiator is hot so thermostat must be open.I'm pretty sure there is some kind of heatshield missing as i can clearly see all the turbo when i open the bonnet,but pretty sure this will have no bearing?
robbocop33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 09:09   #2
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

On a cold day, warmth within a mile and full heat within 2.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 10:21   #3
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

So what's my problem then? ;-)
Old 25th August 2016, 10:34   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Assuming the coolant is free of air bubbles/locks and at the correct level, then the heater matrix might be silted up. The 1.8s warm up pretty fast and will run at around 90°C (check yours using on the diagnostic mode. Forget the gauge it tells you nothing useful). The radiator fan has no significant effect on the operation or otherwise of the heater. This is a full bore thermostat bypass system which will always circulate coolant at engine temperature, providing the matrix isn't clogged up.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 11:25   #5
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Are there bleed screws on the coolant pipes anywhere on this model?
Old 25th August 2016, 13:07   #6
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

It's showing coolant temp at 97-99 nirmal driving,100-102 fluctuating at idle after a run.How does that sound?

Last edited by robbocop33; 25th August 2016 at 13:17..
Old 25th August 2016, 13:30   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbocop33 View Post
It's showing coolant temp at 97-99 nirmal driving,100-102 fluctuating at idle after a run.How does that sound?
It sounds rather hot Lee. Have you had any work done recently which required draining the coolant?
Quote:
Are there bleed screws on the coolant pipes anywhere on this model?
Yes. If you follow the bottom radiator hose towards the engine, you will come across it. On the 1.8 engine I believe that it has a hexagon head. I recommend that you follow MGR's bleeding procedure exactly.
Quote:
Top hose on radiator is hot so thermostat must be open.
That's a false conclusion on the 75/ZT engines I'm afraid Lee. The thermostat is not situated in the flow to the radiator. It is to be found in the return circuit at the end of the bottom radiator hose, or if you have a PRT directly behind the radiator.

Simon
Old 25th August 2016, 14:28   #8
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Just discovered a 'really' odd thing,was looking at return hose going into block from the matrix,it was at a weird angle for a hose,seemed to run parallel with engine,then turn really sharply towards engine?
The bend was hidden by other bumff.Pulled on return hose from matrix and there was a complete fold in the hose!!It was bent fully over which would no doubt restrict flow.
When i pulled hose slightly it just popped out into its natural position'Can-t find a bleed screw though,heater still isn-t really hot.
Old 25th August 2016, 14:43   #9
robbocop33
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Hose going into matrix hot,hose coming out of matrix just warm.Does that point to anything?Would have thought matrix 'might'act like small radiator! ;-)
I need to change the antifreeze as it desperately needs it,so definitively need to know where the bleed screw is (pics please) and best way to flush matrix.

Last edited by robbocop33; 25th August 2016 at 14:52..
Old 25th August 2016, 15:56   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Hose going into matrix hot, hose coming out of matrix just warm.Does that point to anything?Would have thought matrix 'might'act like small radiator! ;-)
Well if there's no hot air being produced, the coolant flow through the matrix is very low. In other words there's a blockage. Yes the matrix is a small radiator. It works exactly like the engine radiator.

Quote:
I need to change the antifreeze as it desperately needs it
Maybe that's why the heater matrix is clogged? 'Antifreeze' does far more than stop coolant freezing solid in winter. It will inhibit limescale if serviced properly. It's needed all the time and must be maintained at the specified concentration.

Quote:
so definitively need to know where the bleed screw is (pics please)
HowTo: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=168154

There are dozens of threads on this. Use the Google search system for most simple stuff: https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?hl=en&c...TQCA#gsc.tab=0

Maybe download the Handbook: http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com...nersmanual.pdf

Quote:
and best way to flush matrix.
Disconnect both heater hoses where the enter the firewall. Attach a hosepipe to one and give it a blast. After a good flush, swap sides and repeat. If it doesn't flush through at full bore, the matrix may need taking out to use a kettle descalant - or replacement if preferred.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote