Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th February 2007, 00:11   #21
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Its as I said elsewhere Crofts, these people we entrust our Pride & Joy to stick anything in not realising there is only one fluid to put in, no checking done by many garages. How do you know its done properly when they don't know themselves?
Old 28th February 2007, 13:15   #22
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Been reading this post with interest as I had my auto box oil changed last Aug. at an ex Rover dealer I have used for years. Just checked my invoice and the part no. for the gear oil is DEP52005 £21.25. I have just called the service guy I know and asked him what came up with part no. VYK 00040 and he said gear oil. I asked why is the other part no. showing on my invoice? He said the no.'s may have changed. I mentioned this site to him again and what you guys are telling me especially about Texaco and give him credit he knew about it. I stated I want the correct fluid in as you guys say it may blow up I am calling him back after 2 today so he can do some checking.
Old 28th February 2007, 14:49   #23
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Called back and basically he said I have the correct fluid but quoted VYK00050 part no. which is a 25 litre drum of oil. He said the oil is spec. JF403E. I have googled this and it throws up American transmission parts Not convinced now so have called the local Xpart dealer (only recently started) and she quoted me they use bog standard Castrol:SHOCKED: I put her right on a couple of things but really worried that an Xpart service garage did not know either.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:21   #24
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

This really doesn't instill much confidence in this particular piece of information being correctly disseminated to Xpart dealers.
I wonder just how many JATCO boxes fail due to incorrect fluid replacement rather than wear and tear. Bearing in mind what we hear is allegedly stated by some repairers "they all do that".
Old 28th February 2007, 15:28   #25
salop75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conn SE Saloon Auto

Well i managed to get my 'ATF 402' from Shukers in Shrewsbury, they were a helpfull lot and knew of the lubricant, asking immediately, was it for a Jatco?

Cost me 41ukp inlcuding VAT. I took a clean 5litre container and they filled it up from there drum out the back, nice runny red oil, looks a lot like Vimto.

I'll be glad to have 2/3rds of the Gul oil out of the autobox. I plan more frequent autobox oil changes.

Note: ATF 402 is Red, if the garage you go to has oil which is a different colour then it is NOT ATF 402.

John
Old 28th February 2007, 15:34   #26
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Well done John.
Hopefully once you have the correct fluid installed you get many, many years of trouble free motoring from your JATCO box.
Thanks indeed for passing on all the information you have gathered.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:38   #27
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
This really doesn't instill much confidence in this particular piece of information being correctly disseminated to Xpart dealers.
I wonder just how many JATCO boxes fail due to incorrect fluid replacement rather than wear and tear. Bearing in mind what we hear is allegedly stated by some repairers "they all do that".
This is what I was saying MM I have now phoned 10 XPart Auto Service Centres and not One new the correct oil to put in these Boxes! This is disgusting and could cause a premature failure of Box. Are XPart Dealers that stupid? Most put in Castrol or whatever they have has also been stated, when told about correct oil they say never heard of that one even though its on there listings or it don't matter they are all the Same. A Firmly worded letter is now on the way to them and will be trying to find the head of XPart services re same!
All faith in the Garages has now been lost and would not recommend any oneto take their Car to these already phoned.
(Can they be listed with replies on Forum?)
Old 28th February 2007, 15:41   #28
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Best not to list them JDC but I agree with the sentiment.
Mike has some contacts at Xpart that are pretty high up in the organisation so I think we shall ask him to have a speak. That is if hasn't already, he has a habit of doing all sorts of stuff in the background.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:42   #29
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Strewth John this seems to have turned into a marathon!

Red fluid! are you sure they haven't sold you some Red Diesel

Do you have a couple of axle stands?
I only have two myself and I guess the car needs to be level for this
Old 28th February 2007, 15:44   #30
JohnDotCom

Thanks for advice MM.
It does Beggar beyond believe though does it not?
Closed Thread