Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th April 2017, 17:19   #11
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Found a paint supplier not to far from me so going to pop in and have a chat to them over the weekend so will post their advice here if anyone needs it
Old 27th April 2017, 18:42   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I can always ask a friend.... Who's a professional automotive painter for further advice if needed. Caveat is that he works professionaly in a fully equipped shop so will likely recommend 2 pack and the full kit... but who knows. I'll ask next I see him.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 21:16   #13
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I do the odd small 2 pack job at home. You can buy a full air fed face mask with filters on eBay pretty cheap and run a small oil less air compressor as fresh air as I do. As long as you have good filtration it works fine.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:04   #14
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Default Update

Finally found someone who gave some advice, first guy said use 2k ,paint quickly and leave the room,you'll be alright
After etch priming the bare metal I will be using cellulose primer on the fairing and tank , then a white cellulose as the finish.
The frame and other parts will be cellulose primer followed by a met blue base coat.
On The blue and white will then be 2k clear coat , not sure if getting someone to do the clear coat or the paint guy can supply in aerosol.
Brought the thinners and primer today when in the shop , 1l primer and 10l thinners £22,
Time to crack on
Stan
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:27   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:39   #16
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on.
Will do , I will be putting a post in the projects section within a couple of days , so you can follow if you want to , already hit a couple of snags and haven't got started properly yet , and also some good fixes that I have picked up will go in as it progresses
Stan
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:56   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Just re-read your post - As you'll be putting 2k clear over the white cell I'd suggest that you find some scrap material to spray white as well - a couple of small pieces should do. Then when you think the white is ready for clear do the first test piece as a test. If it goes bad then you'll know the main piece hasn't hardened off enough yet (give it plenty off time after spraying the 2k to make sure). The cellulose does really need to be fully hardened off before attempting 2k clear over it - might be worth checking out barrier coats? It won't be a happy man that has to strip back his parts and start over due to crackling...

Another tip I came across for putting 2k over cell is to dust the first couple of passes letting it harden between - that way you put the minimum solvent in contact with the cell. then put the thicker coats on when you've got a nice barrier in place.

Just to add - I've only ever used cellulose colour and lacquer on projects I've done in the past.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:

Last edited by Avulon; 23rd May 2017 at 21:58..
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:05   #18
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

I'm not sure about the clear coat yet , I might just go mad with the white coats and build plenty up , there will be a tank pad and you can get clear protective pads for the sides,where the knees rub so might go that way first rather than risk the finish with a clear coat , as knowing what I am like , I won't be able to resist rushing to finish , I'm one of those who sees a wet paint sign and has to find out.