Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2017, 13:34   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
where did this post come from? I have not seen a previous post about not using the brakes
macafee2
For clarity this was my own mis-understanding for the OP asking if the minimum cruise speed could be lowered. The actuality being that it's not to avoid brake at all: but rather to be able to better concentrate on the road ahead in relaxed manner without necessitating frequent checks of the speedometer.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 17:17   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
You should maybe Re-acquaint yourself with being able to judge your speed to a reasonable of acccuracy without having to continually refer to the speedometer. (just practice) - one check should be all it needs.
Reasonable is not good enough for me. One check will get your initial speed down to the limit, but more additional checks will be required as you progress. It is very difficult for anyone to maintain there speed within a few percent, without frequent checks. I would rather I didn't have to do that so I use the facilities made available to me.

I used to teach by without warning, covering the speedo then invite whom ever I was teaching to tell me their speed. I used to do similar with the mirror and ask them to describe what was following.

Quote:
Nice to know that you are still concentrating on the road.

Mmmm, what else might I be doing? I have managed 55 years and millions of miles so far without any accidents and my driving was rated 100% when last tested to the highest standard, so I must be doing something right?

Between times, I constantly rate my own driving standard and replay video of my driving.

I still say - use every device your vehicle offers, which allows you to concentrate more on the road.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 19:32   #23
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

I also find that 20MPH is extremely difficult to judge accurately. We are very used to driving at 30MPH and over but 20MPH seems so slow that you will automatically creep up. With the magical 10% allowance at 70MPH means that you can have a larger freedom (well, 77MPH) than you can at 20MPH, so your "allowance" would be 22MPH.

Having checked my speed with a GPS speed rating the Rover is spot on but my Prius is 10% slower, so I can get by setting the cruise control at 25MPH on the Prius, but not on the Rover

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 19:55   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Just to note once again that you should really not be surprised if you get prosecuted or ticketed for any amount over the speed limit. It's a limit, not a starting point for some arcane calculation that you need to go through or memorise the result of for each limit that you pass through. Granted there's often a little leeway given that won't result in enforcement it shouldn't be relied upon.
To the OP.........an apology in advance.

To you Avulon:

I certainly do not need you to tell me how to drive thank you very much & after 37yrs driving & no endorsements, I consider I've done ok!
Just who the hell do you think you are?
I consider myself to be a very safe & careful driver.
It is extremely difficult to keep to 20mph & I seem to spend more time watching my speedo than actually watching the road & it's surroundings.
I do not believe I am on my own here.
I also do not believe for one minute that you do or have always stuck to the EXACT speed limit.

Last edited by mh007; 25th April 2017 at 19:57..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 20:23   #25
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I'll be honest I do find that people who've been driving for '50 years with no accidents etc' or whatever can't actually moderate their speed to 20mph without needing the car to do it slightly worrying. Yes 20mph feels very slow but seriously are you people actually saying you can't manage it without the car doing it for you?

How do you manage other speed limits? surely it's exactly the same principle
Save

Last edited by mystabe; 25th April 2017 at 20:50..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 21:36   #26
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I have to say that the only time I use cruise control is on the motorway.
I wouldn't use it on any other road but that's just my personal choice.
Maybe drivers who have been driving for quite a number of years at 30mph find it harder to stick to the newer 20mph limit than newer/younger drivers, I don't know.
I know one thing for sure, my cars seem happier doing 30 than 20.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 21:58   #27
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
To the OP.........an apology in advance.

To you Avulon:

I certainly do not need you to tell me how to drive thank you very much & after 37yrs driving & no endorsements, I consider I've done ok!
Just who the hell do you think you are?
I consider myself to be a very safe & careful driver.
It is extremely difficult to keep to 20mph & I seem to spend more time watching my speedo than actually watching the road & it's surroundings.
I do not believe I am on my own here.
I also do not believe for one minute that you do or have always stuck to the EXACT speed limit.
I'm far from telling anyone how to drive. I neither claim to have always stuck to the EXACT speed limit either (you don't have to, you are allowed to drive slower you know.)

My only concern was that some people appear to think that it's OK to push the speed limits deliberately i.e. limit +x% is ok - no, it's not: it's breaking the speed limit: don't be surprised if you get caught. If you've managed 37 years with no endorsements then fine - just don't think that it's ok to do 22mph in a 20 zone (addition : last comment aimed at those repeating such myths and not at mh007 ).

Me? I'd rather keep my speed within the speed limit in these very low limit areas by making sure to be BELOW the limit and not trying to be at the limit. That way I've no need to constantly check the speedometer and can give more of my attention to the other road users, pedestrians, coppers with speed guns, gatso cameras etc...

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 25th April 2017 at 22:12.. Reason: Making things clear
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 11:20   #28
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Anyway,
Back to the original question.
There is nothing in the standard T4 software to allow the minimum cruise engage speed to be lowered.
I have not yet found a way to lower the enable speed.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:38   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I'll be honest I do find that people who've been driving for '50 years with no accidents etc' or whatever can't actually moderate their speed to 20mph without needing the car to do it slightly worrying. Yes 20mph feels very slow but seriously are you people actually saying you can't manage it without the car doing it for you?

How do you manage other speed limits? surely it's exactly the same principle
Save
Yes I can hold my speed at roughly 20mph, but despite my experience on the road I do find it occupies a considerable amount of my concentration to do so. I personally would rather my concentration was on the road and its potential hazards, than on making regular checks on my speed. These limits are set at 20 for a good reason - that of there being many more hazards to be dealt with, it needs your full attention on the road, not on the speedo.

Simple - you get your speed to the correct speed and press a button, you can then keep your eyes and your attention fully on the road and cover your brake pedal with your right foot.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 26th April 2017, 12:42   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Anyway,
Back to the original question.
There is nothing in the standard T4 software to allow the minimum cruise engage speed to be lowered.
I have not yet found a way to lower the enable speed.
Chris
Likely it is a matter of - the ECU receives pulses from the wheel and the ECU cannot reliably deal with such a low pulse rate reliably and control the throttle well enough to hold a lower speed. Despite the way it might seem, an ECU can only deal with one thing at one time.