Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2017, 15:02   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Firestick / Kodi bluetooth keyboard

I hated trying to type into the search box, using the up/down left/right of the basic Firestick control, so just before Christmas and soon after getting the Firestick, I decided I must have some sort of Bluetooth ASCII keyboard. I ordered a tiny one, the same size as an Iphone from HK, that arrived on Monday. It was tiny and delicate and the KB had burst open in the post. Reasembled, it wouldn't work at all, so I have started a dispute with the seller over that one and ordered another style from a UK seller, which I then quickly cancelled because the seller seemed to confuse 2.4GHz with Bluetooth in the description - it was actually a 2.4Ghz. I then ordered a third one, which arrived this morning and it works with all that I have tried it with, including the Firestick.

This one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111988837965

It is a touch smaller than a standard keyboard, without the numeric keypad, and feels well made.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd February 2017 at 15:08..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 20:12   #2
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

Hi Harry, I have just bought a Android smart tv and Fire Stick, will this work with these?. Thanks, John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 20:51   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Default Wifi issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
Hi Harry, I have just bought a Android smart tv and Fire Stick, will this work with these?. Thanks, John.
Sorry for the delay, I have been trying to resolve a wifi access issue with the access point I use for the Firestick (see below).

Firestick definately and no reason why it should not work with the Android too. I am not yet sure it has all the keys needed to completely replace the basic Firestick remote, but I am working on it. It is certainly much quicker to type a search string in, than the hunt and peck of the basic remote.

(below)...

Main router and wifi access point in the loft, where the phone cable comes in. From that have have a wired LAN down to the living room, to a second wifi access point, very close to the firestick. DHCP is disabled on this one and I gave it a fixed IP.

I also use this second AP for a laptop quite a lot. Since setting this up, the Firesticks ability to access the AP has gradually deteriorated to the point where last week it was unable to stream, it streamed better working via wifi AP two floors up. Yet the laptop was able to use it as normal. Moving the Firestick to the first floor TV accessing the loft AP, brought back normal operation on the Firestick.

Back in the front room, it still wouldn't stream. I then tried replacing the router with a similar one I had in stock, set it up the same - normal operation resumed, but for how long?

Why should access steadily deteriorate, then with slight changes start to work again. but yet work OK with a laptop from the same AP?

Rebooting the routers several times didn't help.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 28th February 2017, 21:20   #4
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

Thanks Harry, I have ordered the keyboard, I will post when I get it working. I live in a flat, so the router is in the next room, so I should be okay.
Old 28th February 2017, 22:23   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Thanks Harry, I have ordered the keyboard, I will post when I get it working. I live in a flat, so the router is in the next room, so I should be okay.
Just to give you a start, when the keyboard arrives...

It will announce on screen, when the keyboard goes to sleep or is woken up. Unused it auto sleeps. When asleep, the first button pressed is missed, second one (once awake) works.

Top/left key is the Home key, Delete is the 'back' key. F7 restarts at the beginning of what you are watching. F8 is the pause/play. F3 is search. F5 does something(?).

When searching via Kodi, just type in, then press 'return'

So far the swapped out router is working fine.

Old 1st March 2017, 12:25   #6
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

Thanks for those tips.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:30   #7
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for those tips.
Kodi should run ok on your Android TV , Our Philips 50 inch runs it Ok , no need for a Fire stick unless you are are after the Amazon stuff ??

Or am I reading this thread wrong

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 15:17   #8
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile

Sorry,I am explaining myself all wrong. On my recent tv I was using Fire Stick to get Kodi, I have now bought an Android tv, I have downloaded Kodi from the Play Store and need to download add ons from a poster on You Tube named ASBYT, he makes it easy for beginners like me. I was having trouble typing using my tv remote, so have ordered the bt keyboard Harry mentioned. Sorry for the confusion. John.
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:31   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Kodi should run ok on your Android TV , Our Philips 50 inch runs it Ok , no need for a Fire stick unless you are are after the Amazon stuff ??

Chris
I understand Kodi can be installed on lots of devices - Windows PC's, Linux PC's, Android devices etc..

Old 2nd March 2017, 09:50   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Yup... here its running on the Android TV, 1 android box ( now in the bedroom )2 firesticks, 1 Desktop PC. 1 laptop. 2 android Tablets , even works on old my Samsung galaxy 2 , but tis a tad small and although the picture is good I can't see the tiny menus nowadays .
C.

PS.

John if you need a hand at all just give me a message ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote