Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th April 2017, 10:15   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Recommended Android apps for head units?

Having had a WinCE DD unit for a while, I've now taken the plunge into the Android world with a second-hand Navall 3. I'm relatively new to Android and I've noticed most of the apps in the Play Store are (understandably) designed with phones in mind with fiddly small menu buttons - not very good if you're driving and want minimal distractions.

So as there's a lot of folks in the club with Android DD units now, I'm wondering what apps people tend to download and use?

Media Players. I've tried a few different media players now and none really seem well suited to a car environment, Poweramp being reasonably good... but still suffers a little from small buttons, difficult menu navigation etc. Steering wheel controls don't work within Poweramp... there is an (Ownice?) app you can download which improves that, but then SWC don't work in the radio app properly I've tried and failed to install a downloaded radio app "RadioPlus_v15.apk"

SatNavs. Being Android 4, I can't download Waze which I'm bitterly disappointed about as 99% of the time I know where I'm going, I just want accurate traffic information displayed for my daily commute. Tried a few other free SatNavs - some awful, some ok ... but none really seem to give me an overview of local traffic. Igo Primo that comes installed works pretty well if you need directions, but can't seem to get a traffic display on it.

Torque Pro was the main reason for having Android and while it works well, it starts on boot and displays a USB warning message every time. Startup Manager didn't seem to cure that so I've now uninstalled Torque and will just reinstall it as and when required.

So would welcome your thoughts and suggestions!
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 12:57   #2
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

To be honest you have stumbled upon one of the conundrums about having a fully functioning android tablet in the dashboard of your car - what do you actually use it for?

They look great, they produce a decent sound, having a big sat nav display is a big plus, I can see how a reverse parking camera might come in handy too and Torque would be nice (however my Tourer doesn't have OBDII so it was pointless for me) - but I never found a media player that was particularly easy (or safe) to use while driving and, as you have noted, most of the apps in the Play store aren't exactly 'use while driving friendly' or would actually be of any use when you are driving either

In the end you usually end up using them as a radio and sat nav with occasional use as a media player and that's fine - but I did eventually find myself thinking occasionally that I'd paid rather a lot for that
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 19:49   #3
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

I believe copilot sat nav works really well with traffic updates
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 10:30   #4
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill_190 View Post
I believe copilot sat nav works really well with traffic updates
Thanks Phil, might give it a shot if there's a free trial.
Old 8th April 2017, 16:45   #5
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post

Torque Pro was the main reason for having Android and while it works well, it starts on boot and displays a USB warning message every time. Startup Manager didn't seem to cure that so I've now uninstalled Torque and will just reinstall it as and when required.

So would welcome your thoughts and suggestions!
I found Torque bad i use this, no issues only boots up when you want it to...http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 21:27   #6
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
I found Torque bad i use this, no issues only boots up when you want it to...http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/
Thanks, hadn't heard of it before, will give it a shot.
Old 10th April 2017, 06:28   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Small buttons is something you are going to be stuck with due to the fact you cannot alter any size issues in the Nav3. You could get apps that increase font size but then you will be left with some buttons off the screen unable to tap.
Have you tried downloading "RadioPlus_v15.apk" to your PC and then onto a SD card to install? I still have not tried it out so cannot say if it would suit you.
Good luck.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 09:07   #8
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Small buttons is something you are going to be stuck with due to the fact you cannot alter any size issues in the Nav3. You could get apps that increase font size but then you will be left with some buttons off the screen unable to tap.
Have you tried downloading "RadioPlus_v15.apk" to your PC and then onto a SD card to install? I still have not tried it out so cannot say if it would suit you.
Good luck.
Ken.
Hi Ken,
Tried that, but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to be working, I still get the 'unable to parse' error.

I did download and try an app called Car Dashdroid which acts like a customizable home screen with big button shortcuts to your favourite apps. Looks promising.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB
Old 10th April 2017, 10:21   #9
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Hi Ken,
Tried that, but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to be working, I still get the 'unable to parse' error.

I did download and try an app called Car Dashdroid which acts like a customizable home screen with big button shortcuts to your favourite apps. Looks promising.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB
Hi, I can`t remember what you wrote in a previous post, I think it were you ?
I assume you did allow "from unknown sources" ?
I did find this though:
http://www.technicalnotes.org/fix-pa...g-the-package/
He`s talking phone but it`s the same OS so fixes / solutions are the same.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 10:35   #10
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks Ken. I did go through that list and tried it to no avail. Can't hurt to try again though... other Navall 3 users seem to have installed it ok, so must surely be something fixable.